GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I only have a broken left wrist and the bruises are healed. I was very fortunate. On the night of Nov. 4 I had my first street crash in more than 50 years of riding. I hit a cow elk on the way to work. I know that there are elk in this area east of Salinas, CA. I was only doing about 45 mph. After impact the bike and I slid about 45 feet down the 2 lane road. My REVIT gear protected me from road rash and impact injuries. The bike was pretty torn up in the front. Damage estimate is $13K+. My insurance (Farmers/Foremost) is taking care of repairs minus my deductible. Due to the complex construction of this motorcycle crash repairs are expensive. So is the insurance. The bike is being repaired at Hollister Powersports where it was purchased. The three most expensive items being replaced are the front wheel and the two saddlebag covers. Hopefully we will both be ready to ride again by March. Has anyone else had to have their 2018 or 2019 Goldwing repaired from a crash? Do you have any tips or advice? Ride safe, Alan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear, glad your not hurt to bad, good you had the REVIT gear on. Would be interested in seeing photo's of the bike to see how it held up. Did your helmet sustain any damage ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't total the bike. But without pictures, what do I know. If you'll have a funky CA title after this be sure to look into the loss in resale value sustained from the crash b/c my opinion is it will be very hard to sell. Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am glade your ok and will be able ride again, for everyone who thinks it is easy to get the insurance man to total your bike call your company and ask what percent of damage compared to the value of the bike doe"s it take? You will be shocked it takes a lot I think about 70% or better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glad you are OK!
Thank you for reporting and keep us informed on your recovery and bike situation.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I thought Salinas only had strawberries, not cows running around the hwy/s

Bummer story. I wish you speedy recovery and a great fix on that bike so you can go back on the saddle.

...this actually serves as a headsup for me cause I drive through Salinas, Gilroy, Watsonville on my way down from WA like there is nothing to run over other than lettuce and strawberries...apparently that's not the case.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Glad to know you're OK. But looking at the bright side; after sending this Elk to the Taxidermist, that Elk Head is going to look real nice over your fireplace. That and you should be able to sell your story to Farmers Insurance.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I thought Salinas only had strawberries, not cows running around the hwy/s
And garlic. You forgot the garlic. EVERYONE forgets the garlic...

Yeah, wherever there are mountains and forests, you'll have issues with deer and elk. Never fun to get up close and personal with one of those! I am surprised it made it that far to the freeway, as there are lots and lots of acres of bare land on either side, but then again - elk ain't that smart.

·
Registered
679 Posts
--

When my GW was crashed, the dealer did about $11,000 worth of repairs, then figured it would be another $5,000. or so. I pushed insurance to call it a total and reminded them I thought it would be a total before they even started as the adjuster obviously had missed so many obvious damaged parts. The insurance company really took a beating since who was going to buy a six year old GW for the salvage price they wanted ($11,000.) knowing they would need another $5,000. at least, in repairs. They paid me about $18,000. for the bike.

--

·
Registered
18 Posts
the only advice I would give is that you let the fractured wrist heal and when you start physical therapy, that you take it very seriously. the wrist will lose some range of motion, which should not affect your riding, and the arm will be very weak, which will affect your riding. Range of motion is important, but strength is also very important. The range will improve over time, but the strength will need lots of work.....so work hard! Glad that's all that happened to you. any questions...feel free to ask....I'm a retired Orthopaedic Surgeon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Damage to my Shoei Neotec. Will try to upload photos from my phone. Bike is pretty torn up. Only real hard part damage was front wheel, Right radiator and fan, and engine guards. Everything else is body part related.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts