GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
My friend dropped his '13 from an eight foot lift. Estimated cost to repair was $11,500, which didn't meet the "total" threshold, so they repaired it. When it was done, insurance paid the repair bill. When he rode it home, he found that the rear hub was contacting the muffler, and took it back. They said it was more frame damage and that it was going to cost an additional $5,000 to $8,000 for a new frame. The insurance company then TOTALED the bike. I am not sure how this works but since they had already invested $11,500 in the repair, I would have thought they would have paid the additional 5,000 to 8,000 for the frame damage. Instead they paid him $19,000 for the total and took the bike.

If you haven't gotten your bike back yet, make sure to check frame and wheel alignment.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My friend dropped his '13 from an eight foot lift. Estimated cost to repair was $11,500, which didn't meet the "total" threshold, so they repaired it. When it was done, insurance paid the repair bill. When he rode it home, he found that the rear hub was contacting the muffler, and took it back. They said it was more frame damage and that it was going to cost an additional $5,000 to $8,000 for a new frame. The insurance company then TOTALED the bike. I am not sure how this works but since they had already invested $11,500 in the repair, I would have thought they would have paid the additional 5,000 to 8,000 for the frame damage. Instead they paid him $19,000 for the total and took the bike.

If you haven't gotten your bike back yet, make sure to check frame and wheel alignment.
Wow, your friend got lucky, I’m really surprised that the insurance co. totaled it AFTER they already invested $11,500.

I know that often body shops know immediately that the damage qualifies for a “TOTAL”, but play a low ball game with the adjuster and as they get into the job they miraculously discover more, than more and even more hidden damage, but by this time the insurance co. is in so deep, they just say OK, go ahead. Makes you wonder if the insurance adjuster is on the take?

I was a victim of this scam and supposedly the body shop owner was a friend! I wanted the car “TOTALED” when they towed it in, but my body shop friend assured me that there was nowhere near enough damage for the insurance co. to declare a total. Live and learn.

Jim

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Wow, your friend got lucky, I’m really surprised that the insurance co. totaled it AFTER they already invested $11,500.

I know that often body shops know immediately that the damage qualifies for a “TOTAL”, but play a low ball game with the adjuster and as they get into the job they miraculously discover more, than more and even more hidden damage, but by this time the insurance co. is in so deep, they just say OK, go ahead. Makes you wonder if the insurance adjuster is on the take?

I was a victim of this scam and supposedly the body shop owner was a friend! I wanted the car “TOTALED” when they towed it in, but my body shop friend assured me that there was nowhere near enough damage for the insurance co. to declare a total. Live and learn.

Jim
He was told that they totaled his motorcycle, because, the total for the "single" accident was between $16,500 to $19,500, which was over the amount for "totaling the motorcycle". We both thought their thinking was a bit odd since, as you said, they had already invested the $11,000. They adjuster didn't seem to know much about motorcycles, because they used an F6B to value his GL1800. He was a little ticked about that! They finally got to around $1,000 of his estimated value of his GL1800 by adding in more for the value of the accessories. He was tired of dealing with it and finally took their offer. I think I would have changed insurance companies.

By the way, someone out there got a good bike on auction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Glad to know you're OK. But looking at the bright side; after sending this Elk to the Taxidermist, that Elk Head is going to look real nice over your fireplace. That and you should be able to sell your story to Farmers Insurance.
The elk got up and disappeared into the night. After assessing my status and restarting the bike I rode it nine miles to work. 30 mph, headlight pointing to the ground, plastics flapping in the wind, broken wrist and all. When I told my wife she was REALLY upset. Not the smartest thin I ever did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
the only advice I would give is that you let the fractured wrist heal and when you start physical therapy, that you take it very seriously. the wrist will lose some range of motion, which should not affect your riding, and the arm will be very weak, which will affect your riding. Range of motion is important, but strength is also very important. The range will improve over time, but the strength will need lots of work.....so work hard! Glad that's all that happened to you. any questions...feel free to ask....I'm a retired Orthopaedic Surgeon.
you are exactly right. my last (Hopefully) doctors appointment is tomorrow. I have lost a little flexibility and am still building up strength. I'm working so hard my physical therapist has cautioned me about causing tendinitis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update: There were added parts needed for repairs that would have pushed the initial repair estimate above the total threshold. I chose to replace the windshield with an F4 instead of the $500 stock windshield at my expense. I was torn between the added expense of buying a new bike vs. dealing with issues of a bike that has had major repairs. I chose the latter. I have already given Hollister Powersports notice that I am going to be very thorough in my inspection of the bike when I pick it up. I had them install a Traxxion Dynamics front shock while they had the majority of the front body work off to be replaced. It should be finished next week. Most of the damage was to body work. It is an extremely complicated motorcycle. Unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.

As to my physical recovery: All bruises are healed. My left wrist has lost some flexibility, is sometimes sore, and I'm still building strength. Maybe buying a DCT was a good choice. I don't think I could currently pull the clutch on my Speed Triple or FJR1300.

My Rev'It gear was 5 years old and ready to be replaced. I was very satisfied with how it protected me. I was going about 50mph and, post impact, slid at least 45ft down the pavement. So satisfied that I replaced it with new Rev'It pants and jacket. ( the runner up was Klim).

Thanks for your responses to my post. I look forward to posting happier topics in the future

·
Vendor
16,376 Posts
I
Update: There were added parts needed for repairs that would have pushed the initial repair estimate above the total threshold. I chose to replace the windshield with an F4 instead of the $500 stock windshield at my expense. I was torn between the added expense of buying a new bike vs. dealing with issues of a bike that has had major repairs. I chose the latter. I have already given Hollister Powersports notice that I am going to be very thorough in my inspection of the bike when I pick it up. I had them install a Traxxion Dynamics front shock while they had the majority of the front body work off to be replaced. It should be finished next week. Most of the damage was to body work. It is an extremely complicated motorcycle. Unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.
I feel you when it comes to getting another or fixing what you have. I have a 2006 with 23k in my shop that went down when the owner hit an oil patch. The insurance company did a walk-around estimate, and wrote the owner a check for $3300+. However, even before the plastic was removed, I was spotting lots of stuff the owner and the estimator didn't ... but then this is all I work on, and I know where to look, how to compare, and how to discover all the damage.

The first thing I did was install a front brake lever, the old was broken off, and I went for a ride. Humm ... it has a slight pull to the right. The next question is ... did it come that way new from Honda, or is the pull caused from the accident. Lots of test riding experience can come in handy to answer that question. One handle bar sits ever so slightly farther back then the other. I can also see slight difference in the sub frames, where most would say that is normal.

Basically the reality is this ... the owner doesn't want the bike totaled, and I wish that was gonna be the case. After all, the repair is mine if it stays under whatever that "totaled" threshold is. But it came to me because of my expertise. In fact the adjuster recommended him to me. My job is this ... to set my want, and his wants aside and to accurately estimate the damage that occurred from the accident. Before I pass the estimate to the adjuster, of coarse I'll place a call to him and let him know my findings. Unfortunately for him, for the insurance company, and for me, his estimate, in parts alone, is getting close to $8000. He'll probably have to go find another Wing, the insurance company will be writing him a bigger check, and I'm gonna get little pay for my efforts.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The elk got up and disappeared into the night. After assessing my status and restarting the bike I rode it nine miles to work. 30 mph, headlight pointing to the ground, plastics flapping in the wind, broken wrist and all. When I told my wife she was REALLY upset. Not the smartest thin I ever did.
Absolutely! Why did you tell your wife?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
About not telling my wife, she would have found out anyway. It was best I tell her. I'm all healed up. My left hand/wrist is a little weak. I'm working on the strength. Bike is repaired with additions of Traxxion Dynamics suspension and F4 windshield. Only problem is bike is 150 miles away and we are sheltering in place. I have new Rev'it gear and if I don't watch it, it won't fit me when I finally go get it. Thanks for all the information and the well wishes

·
Registered
112 Posts
About not telling my wife, she would have found out anyway. It was best I tell her. I'm all healed up. My left hand/wrist is a little weak. I'm working on the strength. Bike is repaired with additions of Traxxion Dynamics suspension and F4 windshield. Only problem is bike is 150 miles away and we are sheltering in place. I have new Rev'it gear and if I don't watch it, it won't fit me when I finally go get it. Thanks for all the information and the well wishes
Glad to have you back and ready to put your ass back in the saddle.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Practice social distancing on the bike, it qualifies. Go get it from the shop, I bet it would help your mental health too. 😎 😎

41 - 52 of 52 Posts