GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning stages for a ride in late summer 2015 to include Crater Lake National Park. Seeking local knowledge on a few unknowns:

• What is the best time to plan a trip there? We are thinking around mid-September...
  • How long will it take to circumnavigate the lake? Is this a 2-hour deal or an all-day event?
  • Aside from just riding around the lake, are there other points of interest we should not miss?
  • Any great riding roads between Crater Lake and Seattle area?

Thanks in advance for any help on these questions!

Best regards,

Jim O'Dowd
Franklin, TN
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Jim, I haven't been to the lake yet but a highly recommended motel in Klamath Falls is the Cimarron Motor Inn on 6th St. Very resonable and clean and they feed you a light meal around 6:30 or 7 pm. We had chili and cornbread and cookies.(Reserve early) They also have a pool. If you take 140/95 from Klamath Falls/Lakeview to Winnemucca, gas up in Lakeview as there is no gas in Denio Jct. You can make it from there to the Phillips66 about 15 miles north of Winnemucca. I have done this route twice in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, I haven't been to the lake yet but a highly recommended motel in Klamath Falls is the Cimarron Motor Inn on 6th St. Very resonable and clean and they feed you a light meal around 6:30 or 7 pm. We had chili and cornbread and cookies.(Reserve early) They also have a pool. If you take 140/95 from Klamath Falls/Lakeview to Winnemucca, gas up in Lakeview as there is no gas in Denio Jct. You can make it from there to the Phillips66 about 15 miles north of Winnemucca. I have done this route twice in the last 2 years.
​Thanks, Pooch, I see this route runs generally southeast from Klamath Falls to Denio Jct....do you recommend it as an especially scenic route or for some other reason?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
​Thanks, Pooch, I see this route runs generally southeast from Klamath Falls to Denio Jct....do you recommend it as an especially scenic route or for some other reason?
It is scenic even for the desert, IMO, but it's also the shortest route from the Salt Lake City area to Klamath Falls. Dougherty Summit is "interesting"...scared the snot out of the wife.:nojoke:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jim, September is a great time to visit Crater Lake. Schools are back in session and the days are still nice and warm. A visit to Crater Lake is what you make of it. The lake drive has numerous scenic viewpoints and if all are taken it could make for a long day. A leisurely drive can be done easily in a couple of hours. I will HIGHLY RECOMMEND that on departing the park you leave from the north gate and ride State Route 138 past Diamond Lake. Diamond is one of the many jewels in the Cascade Lakes system. Mt. Thielsen on the right and Mt. Bailey reflected in the lake on the left. Continue on SR 138 north and east along the Umpqua River all the way to Interstate 5. The Umpqua along this route is a designated wild river and is much like it has been for many, many years. North on I-5 a few miles to Sutherlin and pickup SR 138 again to Elkton. West on SR 38 to Reedsport and you find yourself on the coast highway, US 101. The Oregon coast is spectacular! This sounds like a great trip you are planning. I too, am considering something along these routes for sometime next summer. Hope to see you in DV in Feb.

Mike

·
IronMan
17,472 Posts
:roll::roll:LIKE HE SAID - HIT THE 101 IN OREGON. ON MAP WILL SHOW SCENIC RTE (DOTS ON MAP ) FOLLOWS RIVER . SORRY CANT FIND MY MAPS ON TRIP.ITS COMING FROM WEST SIDE CRATER LAKE GOING TOWARDS OREGON.HAVE SAFE TRIP. BEAUTIFUL OUT WEST.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You might also want to check out one of our favorites, the Columbia River Area.

you are in for an amazing trip!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Jim you might want to PM Donnie on the Road. If memory serves me right (yeah, good luck with that) I believe he has a niece that works at the Park and he might be able to provide you with some good info. I've been there a couple of times and its quite the site. I believe they did an extensive remodel on the Lodge a couple of yrs ago and its worth looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts