1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks for the warning Lee. I got taken at a gas station in Boynton Beach several years ago but the credit card company caught it.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
These things USE to be easy to spot, but now the thieves put them INSIDE the pump. No way to tell then. They find them all the time around Orlando. Best to keep an eye on your CC/DC transactions online to spot any thing unusual.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I was there twice again today. My favorite roads are up that way.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

News Channel 8 is reporting that they believe that no CC info was compromised since these readers did not have WiFi capability. Hope they are right. They did find several hundred CC numbers stored on the devices and got to them before the thief could retrieve the skimmers.

The Hernando County Sheriff's Office says investigators now believe that the person who put skimmers in four gas pumps at a Brooksville gas station did not obtain customer credit card numbers.

Additional Links
Hidden skimmers steal card info at Bay area gas stations
Credit card skimmers found on Brooksville gas station pumps
HCSO detectives have been working with the U.S. Secret Service on the case.

Late Thursday afternoon, the Secret Service did an analysis of the four skim devices that were removed from gas pumps at the Hess gas station at 26260 Cortez Blvd.

They found a total of 342 card numbers located on the skim devices.

HCSO says there is no evidence that the devices were equipped with wireless capabilities. Detectives believe that the suspects did not obtain credit card numbers that were located on the devices.

The HCSO and Secret Service are continuing to investigate the incidents.

Copyright 2014 WFLA. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I quit using debit cards for anything because once they get your pin number they can wipe out your checking acc't. Credit cards are safer and you are not liable for much. The several times I have been a victim it was the credit card company that caught it before me and didn't cost me anything. Years ago when doing an Iron Butt ride, my wife got a call from the credit card company questioning the frequent use of my card all around the state. There security is excellent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
These things USE to be easy to spot, but now the thieves put them INSIDE the pump. No way to tell then. They find them all the time around Orlando. Best to keep an eye on your CC/DC transactions online to spot any thing unusual.
That's how we caught one attempt to use my debit card. CC ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts