GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know this board is for 1800's but my Pastor has a 1500 and the cruise control does not operate. I dont know the specifics, it has not been apart. I just need to tell him a direction to take, there are no dealers near him.
Thanking you in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
1500 cruise control

I put many a mile on a 1500 SE and the first place I would go it to the rear brake switch. The switch sets under a heat shield below the rear master cylinder. If you hold your mouth just right you can hit it with a can of WD40 with a nozzle tip. It get sticky from the heat. To really get at it you will have to drop off the right exhaust headers and lower right hand cowl. If the WD40 doesn't help you can jumper the wires going to the switch. Of course this will render the rear brake disconnect inoperative. The WD40 should work after a few applications and brake pedal applications to exercise the switch. Good luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The most common problem on the 1500 cruise is the clutch switch. You should be able to hear it click when the lever is moved in the outer 1/2 inch of travel. If it doesn't click, or if you have to push the lever out manually for it to click, remove the lever and clean the switch push pin with contact cleaner. Also, many riders do not lube the lever pivot bolt and it could be binding, preventing it from releasing the switch. Both clutch and brake lever pivot bolts should be lubed with a little white grease annually. If cleaning and lube does not cure the problem, The switch could be worn. Stick a shim on the lever where it contacts the switch.

·
Registered
273 Posts
GL1500 Cruise

Mark,
When you get the cruise working, it might be helpful to clean and lube the speed-o-gear in the front wheel attachment. The grease there gets stiff and the cruise will wander. When changing the front tire is a convient time to do it. I agree that the cause for an inop problem is usually in the clutch lever switch.
Good luck.
Bob

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
as Bob C mentioned be sure to check the brass bushing for the clutch lever it may need lube. On my 1500 that bushing wore out so it had too much slop which caused problems with the cruise, the bushing is very easy to replace. Quite a few other possibilities but lubing all brake and clutch switches is a good place to start. Clean and lube the speedometer cable also as it is one of those critical things that often has been overlooked and will cause the cruise to surge or wander. Entirely new speedometer cable about $20.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.