GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Please excuse my inexperience in this matter, but I have a question that I've never seen anyone ask on here before. It may sound stupid, but here goes anyway. I will soon be leaving for a cross country trip that will take approx a month to complete, and I will be going alone. Each evening after a day of riding and/or activities, I will find a motel for the night.....wherever I happen to be. However, during the day, I will have all of my "stuff" either in the trunk and saddle bags, or stuffed in a bag that I intend to strap to the passenger seat. It is that bag that concerns me. If I decide to stop at some attraction and spend a few hours, such as Universal in Hollywood, or Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, etc......will my bag be safe left strapped to the bike in the parking lot? I came up with the idea of using my full size bike cover whenever in those situations, which would hide the fact that there is a bag strapped to the seat....not to mention that it would make it more difficult for someone to get to. I figured anything of any value I would keep in the trunk, so the bag strapped to the seat would only have clothes in it.......nothing that would be too painful to have stolen. What does everyone else do in this situation? I know some of you have trailers, but I do not, so that is not an option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I've taken many trips with a bag on the back seat--- never had any problems--so far! But of course it CAN happen. You have the right idea about less valuable/ replaceable stuff being kept in the bag- just in case. I/ we often leave our helmets and jackets laying on the bike as well- and- knock on wood-- no problems so far.
there have been reports of stuff being stolen off bikes tho.

·
Registered
584 Posts
There is a company that sells bags that have steel mesh in them with a lockable handle to prevent casual theft.

Or just carry the bag in and see if the business has an area to keep it. Most large places have a property room or lockers.

I would worry about it and would just cover my MC with the bag on. Most people, even bad guys, won't look under the cover as it makes them too suspicious.

Since its a MC, you probably will find parking up front if you are creative.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
Taking a full sized cover to hide stuff is counter productive...a lot of space consumed.
Consider something like a Pakit Rak that secures to the bike.

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
The cover is a good idea. I use a half cover when I am traveling which is partly for that purpose. Out of sight, out of mind. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Go do your trip like you have it planned nothing is 100% safe. Just enjoy your trip and hope for the best:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use something like this to secure the bag to the bike looping through the passenger grab handles
http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/locks-alarms/other-locks-and-accessories/flexweave-anti-theft-cables.html
if the padlocks are the right size, the lock can go through the 2 zipper pulls on the bag and through the two loops in the cable.

If somebody is "motivated" enough to cut the bag open, they're either going going to walk off with something of yours or they'll bust up something "just because". Otherwise google Pacsafe eXomesh for a steel mesh that is supposedly built to stop somebody from cutting a bag (I've never used it).

As you already mentioned... only keep stuff in it that you can replace at any walmart + your dirty laundry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cover is a good idea. I use a half cover when I am traveling which is partly for that purpose. Out of sight, out of mind. :thumbup:
:thumbup:Same here. Helmets on the seat & 1/2 cover. The half cover rolls up & goes into it's own "bag" and is about the size of a pop can.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello all,

Please excuse my inexperience in this matter, but I have a question that I've never seen anyone ask on here before. It may sound stupid, but here goes anyway. I will soon be leaving for a cross country trip that will take approx a month to complete, and I will be going alone. Each evening after a day of riding and/or activities, I will find a motel for the night.....wherever I happen to be. However, during the day, I will have all of my "stuff" either in the trunk and saddle bags, or stuffed in a bag that I intend to strap to the passenger seat. It is that bag that concerns me. If I decide to stop at some attraction and spend a few hours, such as Universal in Hollywood, or Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, etc......will my bag be safe left strapped to the bike in the parking lot? I came up with the idea of using my full size bike cover whenever in those situations, which would hide the fact that there is a bag strapped to the seat....not to mention that it would make it more difficult for someone to get to. I figured anything of any value I would keep in the trunk, so the bag strapped to the seat would only have clothes in it.......nothing that would be too painful to have stolen. What does everyone else do in this situation? I know some of you have trailers, but I do not, so that is not an option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
have a great time enjoy. my brother always leave a pair of underware on tank or om top of bag.. works for him .

·
Registered
831 Posts
travel bags with zippers

I did exactly what you are asking last year on my trip west...The only problem was at Yellowstone park, when parked at the old faithful geyser, the large birds(crows?) came to our bikes and open the zippers and bulled out items, and if they found something of interest, they left with it...We found them in the act...noting of importance was lost...but watch out for the 'crows...lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did exactly what you are asking last year on my trip west...The only problem was at Yellowstone park, when parked at the old faithful geyser, the large birds(crows?) came to our bikes and open the zippers and bulled out items, and if they found something of interest, they left with it...We found them in the act...noting of importance was lost...but watch out for the 'crows...lol
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/a-murder-of-crows/full-episode/5977/

Crows are to birds as humans are to mammals according to this production.:nojoke:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. You can buy a cable lock to lock the bag to the bike and make it a bit harder for someone.

When I visited Mammouth Cave (KY) National Park and spent four hours away from the bike, I covered it with my full bike cover as you described. A good strategy to keep leering eyes away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cross Country Trip

Hi: In the last year I've taken two cross country trips from MD to CA and back. On both trips, we leave on bags on the bikes and hope for the best. So far, nothing has been taken or tampered with. However, if we have anything of value like a GPS, it gets locked up in a saddlebag and we carry our wallets and phones with us. If someone was to steal our trunk bag all they would get is a few tee shirts and some dirty underwear. Good luck and enjoy the trip. Watch the weather all the time - the weather is the biggest challenge. Glenn

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
How about using a Gun lock. The small one with the long cable you can put the cable through the handle of the bag and through the rear handle of the bike its not the best but might help a little.

·
Registered
240 Posts
stop and think am i over packing ? we have made week long trips and never uesd more than the trunk and two side bags .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
stop and think am i over packing ? we have made week long trips and never uesd more than the trunk and two side bags .
You make a very good point. Soon I will be doing a practice run and pack everything I was thinking of taking and see just how much room I have or don't have. However, I still plan to strap a bag to the passenger seat, no matter what....so that I will have something to lean back against for back support. I don't have a back rest for the driver's seat. But I definitely don't want to over pack, either. So I will give each item close scrutiny before packing it. But the only things I will put in that bag will be T-shirts, underwear, etc.......things that aren't too valuable and could be easily replaced. I am still mulling over the suggestions everyone has made. Some of them are very good ideas and I really appreciate the responses from you guys. Thank you.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
i go solo and dont like doing laundry !!( for month will do once ) pack enough socks / underware- dont mind wearing pants long time but undergarments like to be fresh :bow::bow: i take big waterpruff duffle bag for backseat - keep valuables in bags/trunk. can keep 1 set changeover in bags just in case someone takes clothes. can use bycycle lock for bag . i've never had problem ! ( dont mean wont happen i just normally dont worry about stuff like that . good luck n enjoy your trip

·
Registered
240 Posts
and rember to roll your clothes pants top and underwhere as a set to save room

·
Registered
827 Posts
We usually leave the roll bag on the rack of the bike but use it only for the dirty clothes. The Bag itself would be more of a loss than the dirty clothes.,.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts