GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions for those who have done it.

1. How many miles did you do per day allowing for scenic/ toursits visits
2. How did you plan on getting lodging assured.
3. With weather factors did you change route or brave through it
4. Did you have any trouble with credit cards, or acsess to cash when needed
5. Did you take the same way back (to see the other side of stuff)?
6. Lots of clothes of lots on laundro mats
7. Did you find that getting gas was "panic-ey"
8. If you had to do it differentley, what would you have changed
9. Would you do it again or did you feel rushed or stressed.
10. What time of year did you do it in/ what time would you suggest.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Matt(Ashland,MA) :flg: :biker:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
1. How many miles did you do per day allowing for scenic/ toursits visits?
On average about 300 miles

Called ahead mid-afternoon when we had a good idea on where we would be stopping.

3. With weather factors did you change route or brave through it?
Ran into heavy rains the second day out but did not change travel plans. We did have to devert further west because of early snow in western Rockies.

4. Did you have any trouble with credit cards, or acsess to cash when needed?
No problems but did call credit card company a couple of times to update.

Because of snow, we took the detour but it was not the same way out.

6. Lots of clothes of lots on laundro mats?
Took enough for three days then did laundry at the hotel.

7. Did you find that getting gas was "panic-ey"?
Just watched fuel stops in the upper mid-west but no problems.

8. If you had to do it differentley, what would you have changed?
Add a few more days and few thousand miles.

9. Would you do it again or did you feel rushed or stressed?
Already got the ride for 2007 planned...

10. What time of year did you do it in/ what time would you suggest?
Really depends...the Rockies were great but heavy snow in August suggested an earlier start.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ride till I get tired.

Didn't plan on lodging and never had a problem.

Stopped early because of heavy wind and rain but no detours.

I used Walmart as my ATM. Buy a pack of gum and get $100 in cash.

different routes each way.

3 days clothes with extra socks and underwear.

getting gas was just an exercise in 'how high can it go' (last august)

only thing I would do differently is in how I packed the bike. Next time I'll pack the junk I need during the day in the right saddlebag instead of the trunk. It's easier to get to with the seat packed. Ohh yea, I won't ever ride cross country with any other bike with loud pipes.

August / September is my time frame.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I know you are asking just because you are coming to Rockies-Gold, but just not telling us!!!!

Depends upon what part of the country I am in and where I am going. I like to get in a nice area, let's say the Smokies, Cats-Cade, Colorado, northern Colorado, Banff/Jasper, Yellowstone/Tetons, western WA, etc, etc and I like to stay in one place for a few days doing the local rides. Sometimes I just travel and travel, stopping along the way. Generally, I like to keep the miles in the 200-300 range, but do 500 many times.

Unless going to a big tourist place (like Yellowstone or Tetons) I've always been able to find a place if I stop before 4PM. A lot depends upon the place -- if I think it might be a problem, I'll call the night before.

Living in Colorado and trying to get in early Spring or Fall rides often results in changing plans based upon a late or early storm crossing the Rockies, dropping snow. It might be gone in a day or two, but it affects departures/arrivals (I ride with guys that are still working and still on a tight schedule sometimes). Sometimes you have to brave it, however. In 2005 our Spring trip was to southern UT and northern AZ and it was snowing like crazy, so we worked our way on down to Tucson -- not planned, but ended up being an awesome trip as the cactus were in bloom everywhere after a wet winter. Sometimes the diversions end up making for a good trip.

Nope

Nope

6. Lots of clothes of lots on laundro mats
Clothes for one week and then laundry when my riding buddies starting complaining about some strange smell.

Nope -- just watch the gauge in southern UT and CA desert.

I learn every trip, but each is different.

I do it every year, but I am not on the west coast or east coast. Long way to FL. Rode to Cats-Cade last year and took three weeks for the trip, visiting friends along the way back east and then family in WV before heading home. This year doing a Spring ride down to Big Bend in April, probably southern UT in mid-May, back east to Cats-Cade and other places back that way, and a 3-week trip to Banff/Jasper/Idaho, etc in August, if all goes well and as planned.

If you're coming to Rockies-Gold, then I'd suggest the end of July (heh-heh). Time of year depends a lot upon where you are going. For our trip to Banff/Jasper, we're doing the last three weeks in August (late Aug is good because many folks are already home with the kids since many schools start in the 3rd or 4th week of Aug and the retired folks don't start traveling normally until after Labor Day, so it is pretty wide-open). I love northern CA in late-Sept and early Oct, with cooler temps and before the rains/snow start in mid-October and beyond.

As for packing, I am normally riding solo so lots of room in general. My right saddlebag is the one that I don't like to open, with a few tooks tire plug kit, small compressor, first-aid kit, rain gear, cleaning supplies, extra visor, and a few other odds and ends. Right bag carries a mix of things, such as a different jacket, perhaps the tennis shoes, and the leftover stuff. Trunk is my laptop (boy, I've got to get a new one as this one has seen 60+k miles and is starting to show its age, perhaps a smaller one also), cameras (video and SLR digital), various small items that I need to get to routinely, snacks (apples/nuts), full-face ski mask just in case cold wx at higher elevations, sunblock, and quite a few small things in the small dividers I have on the sides. Most of my clothes are in a T-bag that I put on the rear seat, strapping it down (it doesn't really want to go anywhere just sitting there) with bungie cords around the passenger handholds. I just flip it forward (do not need to remove the bungies) when I want to open the trunk all the way. I carry the heavy plastic rain bag for the T-bag, but I don't put it in the T-bag (that's a PITA) -- when rain is forecast or coming, I just drop the whole T-bag in the heavy plastic bag (it is the heavy T-bag one) and all stays dry. Sometimes when I need to take off the heavy jacket, etc I just stick it under the T-bag and ride on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
About the same answers as above.I carried some old socks,underwear and jeans.When they got dirty,I threw them away.Good way to clean out you drawers.Washed at motel laundry.500 in a day will wear you out.Maybe alternate long and short days.Different route back will make time go by faster.Be prepared for wind.I can handle rain but wind is tiresome.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
For me its like KAMISUE and DAVE sez.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cross Country

My son and I rode across - left from MD. took the month of June off.
Averaged about 300 - 350 miles a day- stopped to see all the national parks along the way- pretty much took our time- stay on the scenic highways and routes as much as you can- it's a beautiful ride.
You may only get one chance to do this - take your time and see as much as you can. I reccomend this to everyone. When I got back I was ready to go back to work- energized. I filled up with gas around 3/4 tank.
In June crossing desert from Vegas to LA- 112 degrees- Hottest part of the trip. Woke up in Yellowstone 31 degrees- need to layer up.
Start early in the AM and knock off around 5- stop and stretch and eat when you feel like it. Stayed in motels- Comfort Inn/Sleep Inn etc.
Never want to see a continentel breakfast again. The weather will dictate your progress- we got rained on twice in 34 days- really lucked out.
It's a trip you'll never forget- Take your time and ENJOY !

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
I have some questions for those who have done it.

Varied. Some trips were slow and senic and others were point-to-point "cannonball". Longest one day was 18.5 hours and about 900 miles (Lexington, NE to Phoenix, AZ in sleet and high winds). Normal riding would be something around 400 miles/day.

If you know your daily destination call ahead and reserve. I rarely do that however, not knowing when I'll stop or even where. A problem only one time due to a convention in a small town in the Midwest. All six rooms were booked! :lol:

I've driven through just about everything but will wait out sandstorms, heavy rain and snow/ice. Everything else, just power on through.

No.

Not unless there was no alternative way. I like a new road ahead of me.

6. Lots of clothes or lots on laundro mats
What? You mean you change clothes while riding? Hey, we're not talking about going to a dance along the way, right? I usually change underwear and shirt daily but use the same riding pants unless they get really dirty. Haven't been thrown out of anywhere, because of appearance, yet. :shock:

Only on the Valkyrie (which had a 5.3 gal tank). Certain highways in the West can get lonely between gas stations though (US50 in NV for one) but usually there is at least one station every 100 miles or so.

Allowed more time. Seems you never have enough to make unplaned stops.

Long trips are those that you look forward to doing it, curse while you're doing it and can't wait to do it again. I would always allow more time than I think I need.

All seasons but wintertime. Depends on geography. Southwest and Southeast definately not in mid-summer. Mountain states not in winter or early Spring or late Fall. Not in bug season in Midwest. Lay out your trip then cross-check anticipated weather along the way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Matt,
I was writing my response to your questions but realized before I do, I need to ask: How much is time a factor in your trip planning and are you staying in motels only, or camping too? Those two factors completely change how I would answer your questions. Are you thinking of coming out to Rockies- Gold? You will be at Cats-cade, yes?
Bill

·
Registered
412 Posts
3 days!!

3 days and laundry -- wow -- I went 2 weeks and never did laundry -- 4 pair of jeans (4 days each) only had to wear shirts etc.. 2 days each or less.

around 500 miles or more most days... unless someplace beautiful then maybe 100 -- (plan a break day - no riding - once a week then you have time for the unexpected or if you're just tired of getting on the bike)

reserved rooms around major tourist sites but otherwise called mid day or later or just stopped when I felt like it

watched the skys for lightning but nothing else

no problem with credit cards or gas -- let you card company know your traveling so they don't shut your card off for stopping too many times a day for gas -- fill up at 1/2-1/4 tank in the middle of nowhere -- more peace of mind than wondering if you're going to run out of gas or having to slow to 50 to save gas on a beautiful wide open back road where you could be going 80+ (been there, done that..sucks)

NEVER go back the same way unless it's absolutely gorgeous scenery and you know the way your going isn't -- (like going both ways in Glacier is a no brainer -- planned into the ride)

north -- mid summer (but you never know it can get really hot up there too)

south -- may/june or sept/oct (never mid summer at least not for me)

enjoy the ride,
Royal

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Matt,

Best way to have a great cross country is the following.

Have a destination and don't worry if you get there.

Travel as far or short as you want each tank full.

Don't worry about lodging unless you are going into a town that is hosting the Indy 500, Super Bowl, Kentucky Derby etc. Then and only then act accordingly.

If the weather is a factor, turn a frown into a crown. Do your laundry, wax your bike, watch a movie, plan the next day etc.

Don't take photos , unless you actually develop the film or save them to a disc. I have 20,000 pictures that I have taken over the years that have never been seen.

Always turn a problem into an opportunity, never let someone else set your timing and always remember why you are riding, to have fun.

I think that covers my travel plans.

Dawg

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Wow! So many questions!

#1- Miles per day? From 600-1100, depending on weather and my mood. Your mileage may vary.

#2- I carried Super 8 and Choice Hotels directories and would usually call their "800" numbers by early afternoon to reserve a room at my likely destination for that night.

#3- Weather is just a part of riding so I kept on going regardless of how it was...unless it's a bad thunderstorm. IMO, the key to riding a lot of miles in "bad" weather is to start early in the morning so you have options later in the day.

#4- Nope. I started my 10-day ride with $1500 cash and finished with $500.00. The cash I spent on the ride was primarily for food, motels and souvenirs.

#5- Nope. I made a circular route.

#6- I washed clothes one time, after 5 days on the road. It was a major pain. If I had it to do again, I'd carry fewer jeans and t-shirts ( they're space hogs) and more microfiber clothes.

#7- If you make the effort to find out your bike's true fuel mileage under different conditions, you'll use that knowledge often.

#8- I'd take more 2-lanes.

#9- I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Yes, I felt rushed but, hey, it's a long way around this great country and it was, possibly, my only chance to see a big chunk of it in one swoop. From that ride, I "bookmarked" a bunch of places where I'd like to return someday.

#10- I did my ride-around-the-country ride in late June. Overall, the weather was great and I could not recommend a better time of year.

Ride safe and have fun!

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew I would get some common sense answers from the kind folks on here....

I am going to start to plan a trip, it seems like a huge undertaking , but the way you all put it , it is just a series of beautiful rides all strung together and after a week or four you end up where you started.... along with thousands of great memories and stories. I would love to see the rockies this year, but it is iffy at best... Once again THANK YOU , THANK YOU for all the great advice.....

See most of ya all at the CADE!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Matt
I am currently planning a trip from Cincinnati, OH to San Diego for my nephew's wedding Sept. 1, 2007. I am working on all those same questions so I'm real interested in the answers. I started the planning with the sites I want to see on the way, such as Rushmore, Field of Dreams, Air Force Acadamey, Bryce NP, and so on. Now am working on the roads to get me there. I planning on going to Cats-cade so maybe we can trade some ideas. Good luck with your planning.

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LoneRanger said:
Matt
I am currently planning a trip from Cincinnati, OH to San Diego for my nephew's wedding Sept. 1, 2007. I am working on all those same questions so I'm real interested in the answers. I started the planning with the sites I want to see on the way, such as Rushmore, Field of Dreams, Air Force Acadamey, Bryce NP, and so on. Now am working on the roads to get me there. I planning on going to Cats-cade so maybe we can trade some ideas. Good luck with your planning.
This board has a wealth of experience... We can all learn new tricks and routes from each other... Looking foward to seeing you there!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Having done two long trips (5 weeks and 9 weeks), and lots of shorter ones (up to 3 weeks), all I can say is ride and enjoy.

I put a hitch on my bike. For shorter trips I hook up a cooler rack and throw an extra bag on it - gives enough clothing to make it nice and stretch out laundry days a bit. For the two really big trips, I pulled a trailer.

Cash and credit were no problem, either in the US or Canada. ATM machines got me cash when I needed it.

If you've got the time, avoid the interstates - you just see and enjoy a whole lot more on 2 lane roads than dodging semi's.

Your daily milage depends entirely on how you ride and what you want to see. Mine varies between around 300 and 500. You've seen others post both more and less. I fully agree with the comment about planning an extra day every week - you'll find a way to use it and it takes a lot of pressure off having to be someplace by a certain time.

I have a general route planned before I walk out of the house, but I'm always flexible once on the road. As most have noted, motels are normally not a problem except in very touristy areas. If I do reserve in advance, I always make sure of the cancellation policy (that I can without penalty). Heck, I've got reservations in West Yellowstone for next July right now, but that's the only 2 nights reserved for a 3 week trip I've got planned.

Weather routing is also determined by your riding experience and desires. Be aware, the weather does not behave the same all over the country. Keep an eye on the sky all the time. If you see a potentially severe storm brewing, have options in the back of your mind.

But most important of all - take the trip, and enjoy every mile of it!

Carl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts