GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a couple of threads about crossing into Canada...(No I will not be taking pepper spray...)

My Question is: Are Swiss Army Knives allowed...I carry one in my tool kit...

All I could find on the internet was this statement

"devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb) are prohibitied"

Does this statement mean just "Knife-Combs" or does it include swiss army knives....

Any riders north of the boarder...any clue....

I will be crossing the border this month and don't want any problems...in fact all food will be dumped prior to crossing....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Read a couple of threads about crossing into Canada...(No I will not be taking pepper spray...)
My Question is: Are Swiss Army Knives allowed...I carry one in my tool kit...
====================
As best I can find - only if you are Swiss, member of the Swiss Military, veteran of the Vatican Swiss Guard or can prove you like Swiss chocolate.

Seriouly - If asked - say no. They do not search you unless you look and smell fishy.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So the large bush knife / machete I have in my saddlebag would be a no-no?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Foolish Advise

Don't take the Clown's advice. You will be entering a foreign country, and your number can come up anytime for a search.It's not a game show!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I personally carry a swiss army knife with me all the time. It is the one that has a 3" blade and 1 1/2" blade and a couple of screwdrivers and can opener. I believe what is illegal are switch blades.

For all those that are coming to Canada for a ride or vacation, enjoy yourself, no guns, no pepper spray, no switch blade knives.... just use common sense...
if available!

One thing for on the way back into the US!
Don't bring back any banana's!!
You think I'm kidding, go ahead... make my day..... try it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Did you mean to say any concealed blade longer than 30 cm. Prohibited??

I honestly do not think they care if you have a pocket knife.
And the worst that would happen over a pocket knife is they will just keep it.

Politeness, courtesy and a smile go a long way to ease the border crossings. They have a lot to do, and unless you act like an A...........hole they are not going to give you a second thought.

When you approach a border crossing.........stop at the marked stop sign, do not run past it. Raise your helmet shield, so the sentry can see your face. And when they motion you forward, have the courtesy to shut the bike off. If you do that, hey, they are not worried about you.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Small do-rag is fine, but leave the turban at home. :joke:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
So would a Leatherman or Gerber type tool be ok?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
So would a Leatherman or Gerber type tool be ok?
You shouldn't have a problem with that . . . it's a tool more than it is a knife. Mine is in my left speaker pocket. Welcome to Canada!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I crossed into Canada last month. I had read all the horror stories on this forum about some of the problems people have with the border guards.I got a list of my meds from my doctor before leaving and my SPECIAL INSURANCE CARD. I had a leatherman in my saddle bag but no knife on me. The border guard checked my passport card asked why I was coming to Canada and asked how long I planned to stay and if I had any tobacco, firearms and food products. Nothing about insurance or meds. He was very professional and friendly. He even commented that my timing was good because the weather was going to be nice for the next few days for a motorcycle ride. I was asked more guestions and was told to remove my sunglasses when I came back in by the US guard. I had a great ride and met some nice folks in Canada and plan on going back in the future after all the speed limit is 90.:eek:4:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Crossed over to Canada last year. Was asked if I had any weapons.
Replied the closest thing to a weapon was the blade on my multi utility tool,
similar to a Swiss Army knife. Didn't hear reply clearly, but told me to continue on.

RiderUSA

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
So we've been thru the guns and now it's crummy little knives? These Canadians sure are a fearful lot. What's next, nail clippers?

·
Registered
361 Posts
So we've been thru the guns and now it's crummy little knives? These Canadians sure are a fearful lot. What's next, nail clippers?

Do you guys really believe the sh&t you write?

I mean. Really????

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Been to Canada many times, by car and by motorcycle

I have NEVER had a problem entering Canada....I do carry a sack of tools with me which does include a utility knife...the Leatherman tool is usually on my belt.

My wife and I do as another stated...stay in line, stop at the stop sign(s), pull ahead when requested....face shield up or helmets off, sunglasses off, turn off engine....wife has passports open and ready to give to the border guard...we ebven know the plate numbers on our motorcycle and trailer

Really no problems at all. On the contraty, we have met a few real jerks trying to get back into the US...generally getting back inot the US is more difficult than getting into Canada.

BTW...some great riding amongst our friends in the Great White North...generally the people we have met were courteous and helpful

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I went to Canada on a day trip during Amercade oh some 15 or better yrs ago and the gal at the boarder going into Canada was real nice and pleasant. Now coming back into the US was another thing. The snot nosed kid was a real jerk!! He even got out of the booth to look at my brothers licence plate when he said he was from NC. But he was a real A***hole for sure with a chip on his shoulder!

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
I, for one, believe our borders should be very secure. Canada, Mexico, and international portals as well. It is a different world now.

prs

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
They don't allow knives in Canada? How the hell do they slice all that damn bacon?
Well, for one thing "Canadian bacon" is only on menu's in the U.S. When we order bacon, we get bacon not ham and personally I like mine crisp just like my coffee. No knife required in fact it has to be eaten with your hands but hey, if you want to eat our bacon with a knife and fork, be my guest. Ya may look a tad silly though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts