GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
An audience will encourage one to go beyond their abilities.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Youngsters learn, if they survive it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
OUCH...:eek:4:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Responsibility

I agree this person is an idiot and he is responsible. These bikes are design for the track and not the street.

Howerver, the bike companies don't need to sell street bikes that have this type of performance. The companies need to take a good look at their actions.

Also, the AMA should change their rules (section 3.2 -A.2) for bike requirements that allow the companies to make what ever they want as long as they sell 100 bikes and have sufficient spare parts inventories. This drives the companies to increase performance so that their "stock" riders have an edge. They need to cap the HP at a much lower level then the bikes have now - IMO.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I agree this person is an idiot and he is responsible. These bikes are design for the track and not the street.

Howerver, the bike companies don't need to sell street bikes that have this type of performance. The companies need to take a good look at their actions.

Also, the AMA should change their rules (section 3.2 -A.2) for bike requirements that allow the companies to make what ever they want as long as they sell 100 bikes and have sufficient spare parts inventories. This drives the companies to increase performance so that their "stock" riders have an edge. They need to cap the HP at a much lower level then the bikes have now - IMO.

Thoughts?
My thought is, that there is no Replacement for Displacement.
Sell them whatever you can....it is up to the end user to learn to handle the Horsepower.

Keeps the Gene Pool Clean.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My thought is, that there is no Replacement for Displacement.
Sell them whatever you can....it is up to the end user to learn to handle the Horsepower.

Keeps the Gene Pool Clean.
Yeah!......As long as its their genes that get cleaned and not mine! If they die on a track it's who cares but if they take out an inocent person on a public highway it's time for a public hanging!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah!......As long as its their genes that get cleaned and not mine! If they die on a track it's who cares but if they take out an inocent person on a public highway it's time for a public hanging!

:nojoke:
:agree: But they gotta learn somewhere. Better if it is on the track.
I raced for years.....I think it made me a better driver off the track.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
That had to hurt!:22yikes:

·
Registered
7,212 Posts

Thoughts?
I believe the more HP the better and we don't need the government or other authority to get involved and try to impose there views on our hobby.... anybody remember Joan Claybrook, who mandated 85 mph speedometers, and her other crazy ideas she wanted to impose on motorcycles....we don't need people like that.....sure wish the Wing had another 30hp :p

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I believe the more HP the better and we don't need the government or other authority to get involved and try to impose there views on our hobby.... anybody remember Joan Claybrook, who mandated 85 mph speedometers, and her other crazy ideas she wanted to impose on motorcycles....we don't need people like that.....sure wish the Wing had another 30hp :p

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

EXCEPT :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: 60 HP!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts

Thoughts?
I could not disagree more.

The rider was obviously highly skilled and was practicing his skills, Probably a young man and a risk taker but so what? He only injured himself. I consider his actions none of my business.

I do not want to live in a nanny state that decides what I or others can own, ride, or drive.

Did you ever consider that the goverment that can dictate such as you propose could also declare that you cannot buy or ride a large, powerful touring machine like a Goldwing?

No thanks to big government.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Big Goverment

None of your business until his bike hits yours while he is honing his skills on public roads!!

By the way, the AMA in not "big government". They are a private organization that have a direct impact those who wish to participate in close course racing. However, their rules can (and do IMO) have an indirect impact on others. They have created a HP "arms race" without limit.

By the way, do you really think you need 30 more HP on the wing? Can you tell me why? Climbing mount Everest soon are you? Drag racing? Hmmmm... I wonder what it could be?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks to me like a case of riding faster than his guardian angel could fly.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
By the way, do you really think you need 30 more HP on the wing? Can you tell me why? Climbing mount Everest soon are you? Drag racing? Hmmmm... I wonder what it could be?
No drag racing for me these days, and in fact I have never even ran my Wing to it's red line through the gears.... but I would like to feel more excitement when I twist the throttle.....more pull in 5th gear would be very much appreciated. More hp would just make the Wing more fun to ride. Imagine how much more fun the Wing would be if it had the power and torque of the Triumph Rocket 3.
It has always amused me when people on this forum say the wing has more than enough power....like its a fast motorcycle. If Honda was to give the next model Wing 30 more hp, I bet half the guys here would trade up as soon as they could for just that improvement alone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Better performance

I guess a few would come up with an excuse and pay the $ to get that performmance boost. However, I think a six speed tranny would be a better option and maybe something that could be, if designed properly, reto-fitted in to current wings. Seems less costly to change a tranny than an engine. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts

Thoughts?
I do disagree some.... I have a bike like this and they can be ridden safely on the street. This guy pushed it passed it's limits and low sided it. Not smart, but I'm sure lots of people have done the same thing on cruisers as well, probably some on a Gold wing. It's simply a matter of taking a curve too fast... you can either low side it, or run off the road going wide. I'm not for government tell us how much it is going to limit us or you would see max HP for all bikes to be 20 HP, "...that'll keep them bikers in check!" The problem isn't the machine.... it's the rider. Without some draconian measures, I don't know if there is a solution to that. Lack of experience results in a lot of young people pushing their machine (motorcycle, car, snowmobile) beyond it's limits and paying the price for it, some paying the ultimate price. We've all been there, I certainly have. I learned not to push it so hard, by also observing others, less you end up in the obits too...

...anybody remember Joan Claybrook, who mandated 85 mph speedometers, and her other crazy ideas she wanted to impose on motorcycles....we don't need people like that.....sure wish the Wing had another 30hp :p
My Wing seems to have plenty of power, but I can certainly see where those who ride two up all the time, pulling a trailer, etc, wouldn't mind having the extra power.

My father has a corvette that has that 85 MPH speedo... one of his favorite tales is getting stopped for speeding, and the officer asks, "You know how fast you were going, Doc?" He says, "85". Officer says, "You were going a little faster than that, Doc..." He says, "Couldn't been.... speedo says it can't go faster than 85, so that's as fast as the car will go..." Dad knew the LEO, who got a chuckle out of that... he got off with a warning, was advised his Corvette will go faster than "85" and advised that if he tested that again, he would get a ticked for "some value" greater than 85...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts