GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my cruise control switch has quit working (was intermittent), and the reverse switch sticks when pushed in.

I was going to follow Fred H.'s advice and clean+lube, however my shop says they just spray contact cleaner in the switch - there's no real need for the lube.

Has anyone had experience with this? The lube would keep it from wearing down and keep oxidation to a minimum; but if it turns to glue every 4 or 5 years....

Thanks! May your ride well 'n often.

Rick

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Contact cleaner will take the lube that is on it now, OFF. Radio Shack sell a cleaner/lubricator(use to be called TV tuner cleaner) that works well on the GW switches.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
After mine stopped working, I was able to have the cruse control replaced under warranty. :thumbup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just went to radio shack last week and got the tv tuner cleaner and lube. I just sprayed the heck out of the sticking buttons 1. hazard button 2. Cruise Control button 3. mute button. Everything is working great now.
Have fun! Best 11 bucks I ever spent!

Hi, my cruise control switch has quit working (was intermittent), and the reverse switch sticks when pushed in.

I was going to follow Fred H.'s advice and clean+lube, however my shop says they just spray contact cleaner in the switch - there's no real need for the lube.

Has anyone had experience with this? The lube would keep it from wearing down and keep oxidation to a minimum; but if it turns to glue every 4 or 5 years....

Thanks! May your ride well 'n often.

Rick

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get some of the tuner cleaner/lube.

I had mine replaced under warranty too. Unfortunately the 7 years expired, so I'm on my own now!

Thanks to all ;)

Rick

·
Vendor
17,393 Posts
I'll get some of the tuner cleaner/lube.
:agree: ... they might now call it electrical contact cleanerr/lube. Its a penitrating foam/cleaner.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have never understood the spay the switch with anything.

The actual working parts of the switches are deep inside the switch assembly.

If you have some dirt or sand or something in the annular space between the switch button and housing....cool.

Otherwise, you have to go in after them.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
sticky switches

To those who post of using spray cleaners, etc. to un-stick cruise and reverse switches, please clarify, did you have to remove and disassemble the switch prior to spray, or were you able to achieve success by spraying into the tiny cracks while the switches were in place?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Seems Honda packs a rather thick lube on these switches that gets even stiffer with age, eventually preventing the parts inside from toggling. Even WD40 (much maligned as it is) will thin it back out and free up the action. If the contacts are oxidized or burned, the cleaner might help that as well as thin the lubricant out. These are not sealed switches, so spaying cleaner into cracks will cause it to fog in and eventually do the job. Disassembly and cleaning/applying of new lube works even better, but don't loose the little parts and springs! I would recommend that be done in a large clear plastic bag.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have never understood the spay the switch with anything.

The actual working parts of the switches are deep inside the switch assembly.

If you have some dirt or sand or something in the annular space between the switch button and housing....cool.

Otherwise, you have to go in after them.
Kit, your absolutely right. You could use a case of contact cleaner and never get a drop on the little metal part that controls the switch position. Those that say different have never taken the switch apart. The switch needs to be disassembled cleaned lubed with silicone grease (dielectric grease) to properly clean it. The lube that is in the switches hardens over time and gums up the works and all the spray cleaner in the world won't reach it to clean it.

There are only two switches on the GW that spray cleaner will work on and they are the micro switches on the clutch and front break lever. There is a small opening in these switches that you can spray the cleaner into and have it reach the electrical contacts.

·
Vendor
17,393 Posts
To those who post of using spray cleaners, etc. to un-stick cruise and reverse switches, please clarify, did you have to remove and disassemble the switch prior to spray, or were you able to achieve success by spraying into the tiny cracks while the switches were in place?

Thanks!
You have to seporate the switch assembly halves, pull open a corner of the cover that covers the switch, stuff the squirt tube in there, cover with a gag and spray. Work the switch and reassemble.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just had a similar thing happen to my 2010 GL1800 just this week. I unmounted the switch, cut the cover off and found a) no lubrication whatsoever and b) the the contacts were slightly corroded. I used a relay contact burnisher on the contacts, mixed up some 2-part epoxy, put it back together and re-installed it. No problem, works like a champ.

This morning I was at a local Honda dealer and asked what I would have to do to get it replaced under warranty. The service manager wanted me to drop off the bike, THEN they would order the switch. Whenever they got that in they would replace it then call me to pick up the bike, about a week later. Also said that the switch cost $14.50. 'Scuze me? I can find it online at $12 and change. Warranty or not, some things are better done ourselves.

Edit - afterthought. The plungers have such a close tolerance to the casing that I don't see how any kind of spray would ever get in there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For those that say spraying the cracks cannot work from reading the threads it seems to even if you say it cannot. I agree from looking at the swtiches you wont get anything clean way inside but it may seep in enough to soften the clay Mother honda uses for lube

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for the advice. My set/decel button worked intermittently - sometimes cruise would turn on, somethings not - then it quit working entirely.

I took it the set/decel switch apart, lubed it, resassembledit , checked the switch with an ohmmeter (300+ ohms changing to ~5 ohms when held in). The cruise control still won't "set". The cruise control light on the dash is on, so I assume that button is working well.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm supposed to leave at the end of the week and have a pulled muscle that's going to make the ride tough without the cruise.

Thanks to all. I also posted this in a second thread on the subject.

Rick

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used Radio Shack cleaner...... fixed the problem BUT

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET SPRAY ON YOUR GRIPS :22yikes:

Don't ask me how I know......:roll:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

I just went to radio shack last week and got the tv tuner cleaner and lube. I just sprayed the heck out of the sticking buttons 1. hazard button 2. Cruise Control button 3. mute button. Everything is working great now.
Have fun! Best 11 bucks I ever spent!

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
double tap

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Kit, your absolutely right. You could use a case of contact cleaner and never get a drop on the little metal part that controls the switch position. Those that say different have never taken the switch apart. The switch needs to be disassembled cleaned lubed with silicone grease (dielectric grease) to properly clean it. The lube that is in the switches hardens over time and gums up the works and all the spray cleaner in the world won't reach it to clean it.

There are only two switches on the GW that spray cleaner will work on and they are the micro switches on the clutch and front break lever. There is a small opening in these switches that you can spray the cleaner into and have it reach the electrical contacts.
prs

1 - 20 of 33 Posts