GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned from a long trip (Illinois to Maine) and my 2005 Goldwing performed flawlessly. I am in the habit of using the clutch to kick of the cruise control. In the past just a very light touch was necessary to accomplish this. Today, however, I attempted to cancel the cruise using the clutch and it would not release the cruise setting. Both the foot and hand brake will release it. I am assuming that there is a switch built in to the clutch lever that is maybe dirty or has gone bad. Any tips that would save me some time and trouble would be appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cruise Control and Clutch Lever

Brett: Pull out on the Clutch lever as if you were going to adjust the length of throw and look in between the lever and the handlebar. You will see a little microswitch. Spray it with Electrical Contact Spray and work the clutch lever in several times. Do this a few times with the Contact Spray and it should start working. If not it may be the little microswitch has gone bad.

·
Vendor
18,145 Posts
It is a commone problem. The handle bar switches (3) go out from their exposier to climate. They often will not clean up with a cleaner. I no longer evern try so I just replace them. They range from about $8-18. Below is a link to the one you need. It is part number 7.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Don't use any sort of lube (WD-40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench). Go to your local Radio Shack and get Contact Cleaner. Like Greg said, often that doesn't work. Replacing the switch is a 10 minute job if you've never done it before. One screw and two connectors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is the switch. It is a dedicated switch, only used to cancel the cruise. It's the first one that "clicks" when you touch the lever. As Bartman said, it is very easy to replace :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Everything that was said above is true. It has happened to my clutch switch twice. I think I'll buy a new switch next time, I hear they are cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I love this site. Thank you all for the info. I will try cleaning and order a new switch to have just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts