GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control is working just fine, but it's difficult to turn the system off. The on/off button doesn't want to pop out to disengage the system. What's something good to lubricate it with? It seems like whatever holds it in, isn't releasing like it should. Like I said, it's working fine. It just offends me when something isn't working like it is supposed to. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
CRC red can electronics cleaner from your local auto parts store. Spray around the outer edge and work it a few times. Generally catchs dust and grime that jams the switch, also the native contact lube hardens up and gums up there works also after several years. I follow-up with silicone spray lube

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
The proper repair is to replace the entire switch assembly. However, some DIYrs will choose to disassemble, clean, and lube the switch.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
On the way home from the dealer I turned it on. There's no problem at all. Wonder why that's even there.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yep, mine is stuck in the ON position also and I used the electronic cleaner then followed up with some spray lube. It freed up for a couple uses and then back to stuck ON. I too, have decided to leave it alone lest I get it stuck OFF. My clutch, brake and throttle roll off switches all work properly so getting the cruise off isn't a problem. It bothered me some at first, now not much.
If I decide otherwise, the next step is to open up the switch and clean it properly, but I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I jumped the switch terminal so it was permanently on. Was to easy to tap it accidentally when doing a "resume" with heavy winter gloves. To scary for me. Now I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I took switch apart to fix the Set button sticking. I took all switches apart, cleaned with Contact Cleaner and lubed with Dielectric grease. Works great.Just like new again.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
goldwing

I'll probably leave it as is but I'm picky about things working like designed.
I feel that way also, but this is one I would leave alone. That is, stuck on.

Spraying around the edge of the switch does not get any lube in the body of the switch. The only way to fix it is to disassemble it, or replace the whole switch housing. Replacing the switch is a pain because running the new wires can be fun. Disassembling the switch can be fun also, lots of little parts to lose.

Leave it alone and save yourself lots of grief!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Blast it with a hair dryer to loosen up the grease and work it a few times to re-spread the grease.
If all else fails on is better than off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts