GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had very high hopes that the suggestions to change the Clutch Lever Bushing would correct my Cruise Control dropping out issue. Well I did and it didn't. Now I guess I will start and trace the entire sytem until I find the culprit. I would appreciate any good suggestions.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Check and make sure the Micro switches on both levers are all clicking like they should be when the levers are pulled in. If not, try pushing the levers all the way out and see if it clicks. You may just need a thin spacer where the lever makes contact with the micro switch. Also check the switch at the pedal brake.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ken, had a similar problem on my ‘03’. Turned out to be that the on/off switch was loosing contact. If when this happens the resume does not work, then the system has lost power and you need to reset your speed. The switch is a typical Honda switch that everyone is having problems with when the bike gets 3-4 years old.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Quite often my cruse won't work. I have to tap the back side of the clutch and break levers to get the resume to resume!

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
There's two switches by the clutch handle. The outboard one is the Cruise switch. Unplug the wires (open circuit) and see if your cruise works correctly. If so, the problem is in the switch. They can usually be cleaned up. It doesn't matter which way the wires are hooked up.

A worn clutch bushing usually causes the start in gear switch to not work, especially with grip puppies.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Had same problem with my 03 a few years ago. Dealer replaced bushing & had to replace lever too due to wear. Seems contacts wouldn't function properly due to wear on clutch lever & bushing. Works perfect now at 92k.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had a problem when I installed a pair of show chrome wide blade levers.
Exchanged the aftermarket bushing with the stock bushing from the stock levers and still had the same problem.
Next took the part that contacts the switchs off of the OEM lever and installed it onto the Show chrome lever.
This worked.
Paul

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
When changing out the clutch bushing/ lever also change out part # 22885-MB0-006 bushing. This bushing is the part that when you remove the bolt to take off the lever the plunger that pushes the clutch master cylinder rides through this bushing in the hole in the lever it's self. Mine was very worn and still caused the shut off without holding the lever out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried wiggling and shaking the Ckutch Lever while the cruise is set and it doesn't affect it or make it drop out. I did take the brake lever switches out and cleaned them last year trying to fix it. My On/Off switch has been stuck On for a couple years, way before I started having issues. I will probably start with taking that apart. I do have the chrome levers on and have had for about 6 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts