GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '01 Wing with 46K on it. Just recently the cruise control, as always, will engage fine but now cuts itself off after anywhere from 15-60 seconds. Level roadway. Did it 3-4 times in a row. Took it to my dealer and it wouldn't do it for him in a short stretch so he says it's not broken, that maybe I hit the throttle or the brake, etc. Wrong. I don't think he went far enough for it to malfucntion for him. I take it back on the road the next day and it works once, then cuts itself off again and again and I made sure my hand was off the throttle and no foot near the brake. Any ideas on the cause and the fix? I'm getting ready for a 1500 mile trip to Atlanta and back in a few weeks and want to get it fixed.
Thanx :?
Bob

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This is just a guess...from reading other threads on this problem with older wings....the switch on the clutch or front brake gets worn or out of alignment. One of the things that is suggested is to put some pressure forward on the clutch lever to see if the cruise stays engaged. Hope you find it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Skrog,

I had the same problem when my '01 was new. Turned out to be a loose connection.

Pain in the butt, but simple to fix.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the kill switch by tapping on it while riding. Doing this to mine caused the cruise to disengage. After working the switch back an forth a number of times it appears to work properly now. This is on an 02 , therefore it is outside of the recalled kill switches. Just a thought.
Chrisb

·
Registered
226 Posts
this happened to my 2001 and changing the
speedometer solved the problem
have you noticed the speedo needle hanging ?
there was a service bulletin on the speedo
problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts