GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun wearing earbuds on long rides to cut down some of the background noise, reduce the high volume levels needed to hear through the Edsets speakers, and get better fidelity. I run the volume at 6-8 with the 'buds and 20-22 with the Edsets 3G and J&M Elite headsets.

I wear a full face helmet so piping the audio through the speakers is a non issue. The fidelity isn't there, I have to run the audio level at 25+ to hear the audio over the wind noise, and it annoys other riders.

With the headsets I don't hear the audio hum. It could be that with the volume turned so high, either the audio level or background noise simply overpowers the hum. Is that a reasonable conclusion?

One thing I noticed almost immediately is a slight, but audible, audio hum when the cruise control is operating and I'm wearing the earbuds. The hum doesn't appear when the cruise isn't set but appears about the time the cruise control takes over the speed duties. This occurs in all audio modes so I'm thinking it's a common problem. If I raise or lower the speed then there is a slight interruption of hum but it quickly returns. The audio doesn't change in pitch or amplitude - it's just there whenever the cruise is working.

I have the Edsets in my Shoei and plug my Shure e3c's into the connector on the outside connector box. I don't have another helmet that allows this kind of connection nor do I have an adapter plug so I can try this directly, bypassing the Edsets and removing one more thing that could be the cause.

I've worn the earbuds with other electronics and I don't get an audio hum so I'm leaning to a possible problem with the audio system/wiring on the wing.

Have any of you who wear earbuds for audio had a similar problem? Would a ground loop isolator correct this, and if so, where would I install it?

My 08 NAV/ABS is basically stock but has the CB.

Thanks for the comments and insight.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Have any of you who wear earbuds for audio had a similar problem? Would a ground loop isolator correct this, and if so, where would I install it?

My 08 NAV/ABS is basically stock but has the CB.

Thanks for the comments and insight.
Doug,

A few weeks ago I did exactly as you, started using earbuds. Immediately had the buz from the cruise you're describing. I remembered Fred H putting a piece of an old license plate over the cruise module. I pulled off the top shelter & formed a piece of aluminum to cover the module & now all is quiet. An easy fix.

Sleddog

·
Registered
900 Posts
I used a piece of thin roof flashing....easy to form around cruise control unit.
I have also heard of people using several layers of tin foil to stop the buzz...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
....I have never heard of $18,000 Honda car owners having to 'Jury rig' a fix to solve a poorly designed electrical problem? Why don't GL1800 owners band together and demand a recall of these types of design issues rather than fix them themselves? It's evident that it was poor engineering design that causes it, just like the headlights diming when the engine slows. Their cars don't do that. I guess Honda knows they can get an overinflated price for the bike and still get the owners to solve the problems too.

:shrug:

·
Registered
855 Posts
A real simple fix - NO FABRICATING -wrap the cruise control unit in aluminum foil. Works just as well and the installation is much easier.
remind me to remind you to show me where that's located at the work party :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Consider yourself reminded sofadude,

It's on top of the airbox, on the right, just in front of the fuel filler catch pan. Bring some foil, I don't wanna make momma mad :p

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've wanted to kick myself every day for not putting the CC noise fix on my checklist before buttoning her up the last time.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
the noise is definitely irritating!

bizt . . . bizt . . . bizt . . . made me use the cruise a lot less, for sure.
Couldn't hear it over the external speakers tho. I guess 'cause of all the other noise.

·
Registered
892 Posts
.... I guess Honda knows they can get an overinflated price for the bike and still get the owners to solve the problems too.

:shrug:
I thought solving the problems was half the fun. By the way don't ever buy a Jaguar. :p

We are just very lucky to have such a great forum to turn to.:popcorn::bow::yes1:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Here is a photo of my cruise control with aluminum foil (about 6 layers thickness) shaped across the top of the cruise control (sorry about the dust). Just need it across the top and sides of the unit to shield it from the audio unit (in the top shelter) which rests just above the cruise control when the top shelter is reinstalled. For my spring bike work I had the top shelter off again in order to replace the air filter, so I actually installed new aluminum foil to clean up the installation. The aluminum foil does a good job of shielding the unit and stopping the hum.

Yep, Honda engineers could have done a better job with such issues. They design a great bike, but really fell down in getting the right kind of road testing and fixing some of the minor, but irritating problems -- most of them were detected very quickly by those who ride a lot. And just think how the minor fixes could have stopped all of the dislikes. Yep, amazing! (left saddlebag release, hum from cruise in audio, a hard-to-get-to air filter [duh!!], trunk lid/body rubbing/chaffing when closed, lag in cruise control engagement, parade mode temperature issues, etc).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow!

Looks like I'm not alone in finding this out.

Thanks to all for the comments, pics, and links.

I'm about to do the 20K oil change as I prepare for the Cape Fear 1000 so I'll make sure to cover the cruise control unit. It's interesting that just covering the unit rather than grounding the shield does the job.

S

·
0 Posts
cruise control hum in audio

My '08 has the same hum in the audio when the cruise control is engaged. I use Earbuds and the hum is noticable in them. I remember seeing this information, including the fix, a few months or so ago and I am glad to see it again because it reminds me to fix it. Thanks.

Steve McTeer
NRV, Va.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts