GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new bike. Turn on the cruise control, indicator light shows on. Try to set cruise, nothing. Anyone else experienced this problem. (This is my second 1800 so yes I do know how to work the cruise) It will be going back to the dealer soon but I'd like to be able to suggest possibilities.
TIA,
Tom

·
Registered
759 Posts
TomG said:
Brand new bike. Turn on the cruise control, indicator light shows on. Try to set cruise, nothing. Anyone else experienced this problem. (This is my second 1800 so yes I do know how to work the cruise) It will be going back to the dealer soon but I'd like to be able to suggest possibilities.
TIA,
Tom
Yes Tom, I had this exact problem. It was a bad battery. Replaced the battery and all is well. stock batteries are known to give problems..even from new status. Others work fine..go figure. My stock batt lasted 17 months then took a dump.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cruise not working

Tom, have you checked your micro switches on the brake lever, brake pedal and clutch lever? If not, put your ear close, then squeeze each lever slowly and let up, for the brake pedal you'll have to get on your knees, in all cases listen for 2 clicks. If you only hear one at any of the three positions you have a micro switch that's sticking. One fix is to take point cleaner and wd40 and alternatly spray while working the levers.

I had this problem when my bike was new but by cleaning the micro switch eventually mine did work, yours should also.

Another possible cause is from installing after market clutch or brake levers, they may not be hitting the micro switch in the right place to activate it properly. You can grind the switches and or add to them by using epoxy or solder so that the micro switches are activated when they should be.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
First see if your brake lights are on all the time. That will keep your Cruise from taking a Set.

It's very common to get dirty and sticking brake light switches. I've had this several times on 3 different 1500's.

You said you had a new one so it may be a missadjusted or sticking switch.

My 04 had this problem. They narrowed it down to the foot brake. After trying to adjust the switch two times, they replace the foot brake switch.

All is well now.

Not hard for them to replace if they can loosen shelter and reach in.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cruise Control problems

I have had this very problem ever since installing aftermarket clutch and brake levers. My particular problem is with the front brake lever. I can make it work by pushing out slightly on the brake lever and then trying again to set the cruise. I need to take the lever apart, clean and lube the hinge. I think this would solve the problem.

I also will have the cruise disengage itself if I hit a bump while riding with the cruise engaged. Same basic reason - the brake lever bumps the microswitch, and disengages the cruise.

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but I do know that my bike's problem lies in this area.

RM

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Cruise Control

Thanks for all of the suggestions! The aftermarket levers may hold the clue as I've installed the Kuryakyn chrome levers. I'll follow the clean & lube suggestions and let you know.
Thanks again,
Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Cruise Control

RetAF,
I have exactly the same problem you are experiencing. These Kury levers work perfectly on my 2001 (non abs) but not on the 2004 w/abs. Returning to the factory levers everything works fine but not with the Kury's unless I push the lever slightly out. Since the levers are aftermarket, I am not sure if Honda would consider this a warrantee item even though everthing works great with the older bike. If you find a solution, let me know.
Thanks,
Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Cruise Control Not Engaging - FIXED!

I finally had time to really take a look at what was going here. Under the lever there is a phillips head screw that appears to hold the micro-switch housing in place. I loosened the screw and then wedged a flat blade screw driver between the back of the housing and the bar, in effect moving the switches forward ever so slightly and retightened the phillips head screw thus securing the switches in place. Now both switches operate when the lever is both squeezed and released. Seems so simple now.
Ride safe,
Tom

·
Registered
759 Posts
Tom..good for you...great job. If we had known you had changed levers the dianogstics would have been pretty simple..lol...glad you got it fixed. Ride safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts