GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter I took the slack out of the curise control cable. Now the speed seems to fluctuate going down the highway more than it ever did before. It used to be rock solid and now it frequently goes up and down by at least a 1 and sometimes even 2 MPH going up an down hillls. Any idea as to what would cause the change. Otherwise the cruise seems to work fine.

The bike is an 09 airbag model with 38K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Just a thought, but try putting a little slack back in the control cable. If it's too tight, as the control unit tries to adjust, there's no room for error, so it's constantly pushing and pulling creating your pulses in speed.

Reactions: Kiwi

·
Registered
172 Posts
I adjusted mine last year with the shelter off. I had to turn the adjuster out 6 to 7 turns. Now it's set right on. Maybe yours is not enough.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Did you check this:

ACTUATOR CABLE ADJUSTMENT
Remove the top shelter (page 2-10).
Check that the projection of the actuator drum
aligns with the groove of the throttle drum by looking
through the hole
as shown with a light.
Loosen the lock nut and adjust the cruise actuator
cable by turning the adjusting nut as required.
Install the top shelter (page 2-10).

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cruise

I put a little slack back in the cable and it still took most of the lag out of the cruise, and it now holds a constant speed again. I guess in this case I took too much out. When I change the air filter next time, I'll try again.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Just a thought, but try putting a little slack back in the control cable. If it's too tight, as the control unit tries to adjust, there's no room for error, so it's constantly pushing and pulling creating your pulses in speed.

A very good thought indeed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts