GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 GL1800 has been quite good to me for 70,00 miles but now is getting fussy about setting the cruise. Sometimes but usually not it will set on the first try and then drop off whenever it feels like it. That might be related to a bump but I am not sure yet. I have tried pushing the set switch many times and sometimes holding it down. One method doesn't work better than the next. When it is ready to engage it will.

I pulled the switch cluster apart on the right handle bar yesterday and cleaned out the switches with contact cleaner and hoped that would do the trick but it didn't.

Any ideas on where to go from here would be greatly appreciate.
Greg

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Take it for a ride, and while trying to set the cruise control, push outward on the clutch lever. After attempting that several times, and if that doesn't work, then try push outward on the front brake lever a few times. Most likely one of those cruise control switches are not working well because they need cleaned/replaced, or the levers need servicing. If you have aftermarket levers, sometimes they don't work well on 5th gens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check that on the way home. They fall in with one of rules in life that I try to follow. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mine was the brass bushing that needed replaced. $8 from cyclemax (they’re local for me)

Reactions: holwinger

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is in the clutch lever. Cleaning the switch didn't help so I guess it would be the bushing. Does anyone know the the dimensions for that bushing? ID,OD, length?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
DHS Racing sells a bushing replacement kit, which includes the replacement bushings as well as a custom-designed tool used in their replacement:

http://www.dhsracing.com/GL-1800.htm

Before you replace them, just take the handles off and clean, then grease them real well to see if this solves the problem.

Once complete, you can listen to the handles (clutch and hand brake) to see when the clutch cancel switch activates. Just start pulling on the handle and listen for the initial "click". When releasing the handles, you should hear the "click" again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Replacing the bushing is a good idea. But don't be too sure that it isn't the switch. Even after cleaning, those things can be temperamental. You can find them for under $20.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
The problem is in the clutch lever. Cleaning the switch didn't help so I guess it would be the bushing. Does anyone know the the dimensions for that bushing? ID,OD, length?
I'm assuming that pushing out on the clutch lever worked ??? If so, the next thing to do is test the switch. I believe it is the lower one ... the one that clicks when the clutch lever is barely moved. Use an OHM meter to do that. If it has low OHM's (less the 3ohms), the switch is good. Test it several times. If the switch is good, jump its wires together and go for a ride to verify that the circuit unto the switch is good.

If you end up needing a lever, pin, bushing, be sure to get OEM. Others try to replace the lever's bushing, but the problem with aftermarket bushing is that they are made of an inferior alloy. When the Honda metal wears and flakes away, it mainly does it a way to not excessively wear on the lower contact surface (or pivot surface) of the clutch m/c. I've see were the replacement bushing will wear and flake away and it somehow begins to act like sand paper on the pivot surface of the m/c. When that happens, the clutch m/c itself needs replaces as well as the lever, pivot pin, and probably the rod bushing too.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Does your speedo get crazy? Drop to zero even when you're doing 60? Could be the speedo sensor on the right side between ... well, here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I release the clutch lever when the bike is off sitting in the garage I do not hear the click from the switch until I push the lever forward. The handle seems a bit sloppy so I ordered a new bushing. I am pretty sure that will take care of the problem. Until then I just make sure I push the lever before engaging the cruise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
$10 bushing and 5 minutes solved my problem for a year. Recently it wouldn’t engage and I noticed at the same time throttle was a little sticky and not snapping back. I took off the weight cleaned the end and sprayed a little white lithium grease and back in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Take it for a ride, and while trying to set the cruise control, push outward on the clutch lever. After attempting that several times, and if that doesn't work, then try push outward on the front brake lever a few times. Most likely one of those cruise control switches are not working well because they need cleaned/replaced, or the levers need servicing. If you have aftermarket levers, sometimes they don't work well on 5th gens.
Thank you Gregg :wink2: This is good info here.....0:)

Ronnie

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All is well again. I replaced the bushing and that did the trick. Once I got the old bushing out it was obvious that it was worn down. I put a little grease on the new one and hope that gives it a bit more life.

Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check the brass bushing on the clutch lever that actuates the clutch/cruise. This can wear and cause the cruise to cancel suddenly. Just replace the one on my '04 and it works good again.
This would be the first place to look - Been there done that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts