GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't turn the cruise control off. When I push the button the light stays on. Everything about the cruise control works fine but I can't turn it off with the push button. I sprayed contact cleaner in the button and worked it several times but it didn't help. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Don't worry about it, when it warms up some it will unstick but the next time it sticks it may be in the off position and then you cant use it, just leave it on and use it when you need it. Mine has been stuck from a couple of days after I got it. I just leave it on and use it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem Solved

I took the housing apart a sprayed the contact cleaner on the switch from the inside and it broke right loose. Apparently I wasn't getting enough cleaner in through the small slit around the button. Thanks for the responses.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
You won't be able to lube the switch by spraying around the button. As you discovered, you really need to remove the two philips screws and seperate the switch housing from the throttle to get a good squirt into them.

This type of problem frequently surfaces in cold weather. Moisture will get into the switch sometimes and freeze, or the cold temps just make the grease act more like play dough than lubricant. A good cleaning and re-lube with dielectric grease will fix it.

One look at this photo and you can see how far the switch body is removed from the button. This is why spraying around the button does little good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts