GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How important is Cruise Control on your GL1800 ?

• A Must Have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Useful

• Don't use it

• Wish it wasn't there

• What a dumb question

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use it every time I ride. Can't imainge having to do a manual gas feed while the Wing is gobbling up miles and miles of straight, deserted roads (to get to the twisties).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sure is a wrist saver.. Will help prevent Wrist pain on long trip... To me a must have..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Love it, I thought the Throttle Rocker was good for reducing wrist fatigue on long stretches, but cruise control puts it to shame. Nothing against the Throttle Rocker, it does what it is intended to do, but I will never have another bike without cruise control.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
There are times that I wish the cruise control would engage at lower speeds. It won't engage at less than 35.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cruise control

When I was riding my Shadow, I had a throttle lock and thought it was good enough. Now that I have the Real Thing(tm), I can't imagine riding without it!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Cruise Control and Throttle Rocker work great together. I use the cruse for long straight roads and the rocker for all other times. Have found that the cruise control makes it easier for my wife to follow since I'm not varying speed as much.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's one of the main reasons I made the jump from the Valkyrie. I loved the Valk but for long rides you just gotta love the extra toys that the wing brings with the performance.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I really like the cruise control.

my last experience was with the simple throttle locks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Set the cruise, use the Kury throttle boss as a wrist support, and go for ever! The cruise control is especially nice after adjusting the lag.

GWG

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is the first bike I've owned to have it. Now, I can't imagine not having it. It sure does help the wrist out, especially on the freeways and interstates, and where there are long stretches of straight roads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cruise control is a must. I use it almost every ride and it makes a huge difference on the right hand and arm fatigue, especially on the long 2000 mile trips.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was hoping someone would mention how it reduces the chances of getting a performance award from any LEOs. I was increasingly finding that on my ST1100 I just could not resist the temptation to go WAYYYY over the speed limit whenever it seemed possible and relatively safe to do so (i.e., on relatively straight, flat roads with little traffic). Because you're "playing with" the throttle all the time on any bike without cruise, there's a constant temptation. Otherwise, for me, it becomes painful to maintain the speed limit when there seems no real reason to do so.

Problem is, you just never know when a Smokey may come around the next bend, over the next rise or down the next intersectiong road.

So I'm hoping that in those situations the cruise will allow me to set a speed that is safe from the LEOs and that will remove the temptation to some extent. I can't explain how the psychology of the thing works, but I know from my cars that it does. When it's set on cruise, it seems somehow more bearable to stick to 62 mph than when it's not on cruise.

Or is this just me?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i view cruise as a ticket saver

the big bike is so smooth that you dont realize how fast your wenting, until the police car notices.

its very easy to creap up in speed on the open road.

loren

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
After my accident in '91 I developed a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. Cruise control allows me to rest either or hand and I don't tire as easily from jockeying the throttle.

And yes I too like the fact that when some cager creeps up and past I don't feel the need to speed up to stay in front of him.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
mrgl02 said:
There are times that I wish the cruise control would engage at lower speeds. It won't engage at less than 35.

like anyone in IL drives less than 80 :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
The only time I really used mine was when I was the lead bike in a group of Harleys. I used the curise so I would not run off and leave them, not bashing Harleys but thats the Truth. (had a couple of inexperienced riders on Sportsters). I enjoied ther ride but..........55mph tops was killin me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts