GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise on my 2003 Wing won't set or operate. Last week it was acting up and going off whenever I hit a bump on the highway. Now when I turn the cruise on the light comes on that says Cruise but when I go to set the speed nothing happens. No "set cruise" light, no cruise. Would there be a fuse or something that I should be looking for. Everything else on the dash seems to be working ok. Thanks for any assistance. Allan

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
orsky05 said:
The cruise on my 2003 Wing won't set or operate. Last week it was acting up and going off whenever I hit a bump on the highway. Now when I turn the cruise on the light comes on that says Cruise but when I go to set the speed nothing happens. No "set cruise" light, no cruise. Would there be a fuse or something that I should be looking for. Everything else on the dash seems to be working ok. Thanks for any assistance. Allan
Probably one of these reasons:

Switch on the clutch

Switch on the hand brake

Switch on the foot brake

Resting your foot on the foot brake lever

Change of clutch or hand brake lever to non-OEM style

Switch on the throttle linkage

Best Wishes! -Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted to fix it before the trip down the the BBQ. Just get some electrical contact spray cleaner, find all of the contacts and give them a spray. Just put a rag in behind so you can catch any overspray or drips. Mine was dirty in the switch for the front brake.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. I certainly think I'll try the electrical cleaner on the switches before anything else.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Allan,
You may can troubleshoot your switches just by listening to them. Each makes a distinctive clicking sound when the lever is pulled/pushed.

With the bike in a quiet area, engine off, put your ear close to the clutch lever and pull it slightly and you should hear one click and when you release it you should hear a second click.

The front brake lever has a dual switch and when you pull it, you should hear two clicks and when you release it, hear two more clicks.

The rear brake pedal also has a dual switch and you should hear two clicks when pushed and when released.

If you find a switch that is not "clicking" as mentioned above, that would be the one to look at closer. Sometimes the prob is in aftermarket brake and clutch levers; some of those have adjustable set screws for the switches and those get out of adjustment.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts