GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

I have a 2001 and the cruise takes about 5 to 10 seconds to pick up the control.

When I click it, I then have to slow slightly and wait for the cruise to kick in then it will accelerate back up to the speed where I set it but this takes between 5 and 10 seconds and at 70mph that's a pain in the butt.

Is it just my bike or is this as good as it gets on these earlier models?

Thanks

FTW

G

·
It's a common problem,very easily fixed,but the top shelter needs to come off to adjust the cruise cable locknuts.It is warranty work and while the tech is doing it have him replace your air filter while he is in there.Hope this helps. Ric.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
FlyTheWing said:
... I have a 2001 and the cruise takes about 5 to 10 seconds to pick up the control. ...
The good news is: the top shelter does NOT have to come off.

I put off doing the cruise adjustment for a long time because people kept saying the top shelter had to come off. Later I found out that all you have to remove is the cover that goes around the gauges and the keyswitch. It turned out to be quite easy and I wished I had done it a lot sooner.

There is a written procedure available but am not sure if I still have it... maybe someone else does.

Some dealers will adjust it for you under warranty while others won't, saying "that's the way it's supposed to be." Anyway, it's easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob (Bear said:
There is a written procedure available but am not sure if I still have it... maybe someone else does.
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out in the morning. If somone can come up with the written procedure I'd appreciate it.

FTW

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Simple Solution, well work-around anyway.....

Hit Set
Hit the Increase Button once
Wait about 2 seconds
Enjoy the luxury of real cruise and not just throttle lock

Not a true fix but after doing this for several rides it is now as natural as hitting the turn signal button an additional time knowing it has timed out.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'll echo what Bulldog said. If you'll be taking your bike in for the ECM replacement, or any other warranty work, that's a great time to have your dealer adjust it...under warranty. That's what I did, right after I bought my 01.

I still need to do the ECM some day. :?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's an easy fix

I had a dead insect in my gas gauge, so when I took my dash apart, I followed one of the many sets of instructions available on fixing your cruise. If you are using a combination wrench, someone wrote a good suggestion of trying a short piece of string, or a shoe lace, throught the wrench. Then put it around your wrist. Its kind of tight in there & it comes in handy if you drop the wrench. Its an easy fix and afterwards you'll wonder why you did not fix it sooner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cruise control fix

Bought my 1800 in July and have put up with the cruise lag since day one. Read about the fix here and decided to make the adjustment. Took all of about ten minutes and it now works like it's supposed to. Wish I would have done it long ago. Don't know who came up with this fix but I sure do appreciate the info.

Richard

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red said:
http://www.thehubers.net/goldwing/cruise_control.htm
Thanks, I decided to do it right and remove the top shelter. Not that big a deal actually. I am also replacing the air filter while it is off.

Thanks to all who responded here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts