GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruise light is on. No brake lights staying on, but cruise will not engage. Okay any ideas?

Here ya go T-man!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
You probably have a dirty switch either on the levers or the rear brake pedal. All three locations have 2 switches. One for the cruise and another for the brake lights and/or starter safety interlock (clutch lever). Try spraying a little contact cleaner into these and see if that helps. The pivot bolts that are on the levers can wear and so can the brass bushing in the lever arm itself. Both of these can give you the same symptom. It only takes one of the cruise cancel switches to be open and the system won't set. An ohm meter can help find the culprit, just unplug the suspected switch and ohm out the contacts with the lever pulled vs released. You should get shorts when the levers and the pedal are in the released position.

·
Registered
464 Posts
First place I would look is behind the right side engine cover (chrome) mounted to the rear master cylinder. There is a bracket with two phillips head screws that holds the brake light and cruise cancel switch. When you move the brake pedal you'll see a tab attached to the linkage that actuates the microswitches. Make sure that you can hear them both click when you push on the brake pedal. Those switches seem to go out of adjustment a often. Just losen the 2 screws and move the bracket so when the pedal is relaxed both switches are "clicked".

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Are ya listening T-man? Fix it and let's ride. See ya in Lorena at 8's and then on to Kerrville! Yeeha!:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Toolboxjunky
Looks like I'll be checking my brake pedal Wednesday Night. The cruise was working before I put on the Kuryakyn floorboards and brake pedal. I don't think it has worked since.

Where do we meet in Lorena at 8am?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toolboxjunky
Looks like I'll be checking my brake pedal Wednesday Night. The cruise was working before I put on the Kuryakyn floorboards and brake pedal. I don't think it has worked since.

Where do we meet in Lorena at 8am?
Shell station at McGregor airport on Hwy. 84 See ya there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts