GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003, My cruise control stopped working. Where do I start looking?
Push on cruise button, cruise light comes on. :shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Check the fuse first.
The check to see if you have power to the cruise module.

Next is the cruise/reverse module.

Do not think the light will light if fuse is bad, check it anyway.

Light will come on but cruise will not set or actuate if lever switches are not making contact.

That will get you started.

·
Registered
464 Posts
First thing is do you have some aftermarket brake/clutch levers? Those are known to be problematic. Is this an older 1800 that perhaps you haven't kept up with the maintenance and lubing the lever pivots? They could be worn and cause the lever to not engage the switches.

Lever switches, frt brake and clutch plus the foot brake. All have 2 switches. One of those, on each lever/pedal, will cancel the cruise. See if one is sticking. If so get to Home Depot in the Electrical section and buy some CRC QD contact cleaner to clean them out. Just spray liberally directing the spray into and past the little button. DO NOT USE WD-40! It will only clean it temporarily and in a few months the problem will re-surface and possibly be worse.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My cruise started acting up last year. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. It ended up being the bushing and collar in the clutch lever had worn so bad it created enough slop that sometimes the little switch was not being activated or deactivated.
When you squeeze the lever in and release it, you should hear that little switch click in and out. Check that.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My cruise started acting up last year. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. It ended up being the bushing and collar in the clutch lever had worn so bad it created enough slop that sometimes the little switch was not being activated or deactivated.
When you squeeze the lever in and release it, you should hear that little switch click in and out. Check that.
This was the problem when the cruise control on my '03 stopped working.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had this problem on my '06 a while back. I thought I'd have to replace the controllers and modules, etc.

However... there are two micro-switches at the base of the brake lever. You'll be able to see them if you poke your head up under the lever... and you'll be able to hear the clicks of them them when working the brake lever. There are actually two micro-switches and it's sometimes hard to tell if both are being activated when listening to the "clicks" of them engaging.

Test them by placing your bike on the center stand and accelerating to 40mph (good to have a spotter to keep the rear wheel from touching the ground), then use a flat blade or screw driver to ensure those two switches are pushed in all the way.

Turn cruise on... and then set. See if that works.

If so... then it's a matter of getting the flat end of the brake lever to engage both switches. I cleaned the switches and filed down the end of the brake lever to ensure positive contact.

This is an easy troubleshooting test and should only take a few minutes. Remember to get up to at least 40mph on the speedo before engaging the cruise on the center stand.

If that doesn't work, then test the other micro-switches as mentioned above... (clutch and foot-brake), before looking to replace modules/controllers.

Hope that helps,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you remove the switches mentioned via on phillips head screw you can clean them with contact cleaner thru a small hole in the bottom of the. you can also test them safely with a continuity tester while you have them on the bench. I replaced the one on the brake side for $10 from my dealer and saved the old switch for a spare in my glove box.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, I will test/repair and get back to all of you.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to do a follow up on my problem.
You guys hit it on the head. It was a dirty read switch contact, in one of the hand levers. A little contact cleaner and presto.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
This is just one of the reasons I frequent this board...Great people that are willing to help each other out!!!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just to do a follow up on my problem.
You guys hit it on the head. It was a dirty read switch contact, in one of the hand levers. A little contact cleaner and presto.
Thank you.
:congrats:

Woohoo! Very happy that was the issue. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts