GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to scraping the bugs off the wing from the last trip and discovered my cruise control master switch to be inoperative. Anyone fielded this problem yet :?: It is stuck in the on position. The button has an abnormal feel to it when pressed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my first CC switch stuck in the on position when i first got my 03 took it in and had the dealer replace the lower assy. after awhile the new CC switch/button would not stay engaged dealer replaced again. now when it is cold the switch/button will stick in the on position until it worms up and then i have to press it a few times to disengage the button. dont know if this was any help but this is what happened to my bike.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Common problem, especially in the cold.

You may get away with spraying some silicone spray into the switch body and get it to free up, but you will probably have to eventually take it apart and clean it and re-lube it with dielectric grease.

There is a tiny little metal wire in the bottom of the switch housing that moves left and right to lock and unlock the switch. The metal bar sometimes sticks.

Try spraying silicone spray into any holes in the switch to get it inside. You will have to take off the two screws on the bottom of the grip control assy and separate the two halves so you can get to the switch itself. Spraying lube in around the face of the switch usually has no effect, you need to get the lube down into the body of the switch and you have to open up the control housing to do that.

While you are in there, make sure to lube the reverse switch too, as it suffers from the same problem.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm just glad you didn't ask about how to scratch an itchy butt polecat.:wink:
CUZZ FRED"S GOT PICTURES OF HOW TO DO EVERYTHING! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Fred H. said:
Dream Catcher":171y6845]I'm just glad you didn't ask about how to scratch an itchy butt polecat.:wink: CUZZ FRED"S GOT [b]PICTURES[/b] OF HOW TO DO [b]EVERYTHING[/b]! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: DC[/quote] [url="http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/2143092/original said:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/2143092/original[/url][/quote:171y6845]

Somehow I just knew you wouldn't let us down Fred.....
Let me rephrase that...
Somehow I just knew you'd let em down for us Fred. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the skinny on that Fred. I was afraid I would have to open the housing after I stuck on the Rivco control lights. I remember hearing a rumor about the B-36 having a secret weapon. Just not sure if the photo should have been declassified. :shock:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
OK, so the cruise switch is stuck in the on position. So what? I haven't turned mine off since I bought the Wing. What purpose does that switch serve?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Rastoff said:
OK, so the cruise switch is stuck in the on position. So what? I haven't turned mine off since I bought the Wing. What purpose does that switch serve?
Ditto.

This particular post is not just to agree with Rastoff (tho I do) and I have not turned mine off since the initial ride home at 130mph (dunno if it even works). I do know that if your left lever/right lever/footbrake lever/throttle/kill switch/key failsafes all suddenly stop working, you have that one last switch to help ya out (if you can find it). Or, it might have to do with service or something or other.

I DO HOWEVER want to remind anyone that is going to be digging around into their housings...
USE A #2 PHILLIPS even on the little screws inside the housings. They take a #2 PHILLIPS!

They are made of reconstituted rust so if you use a little driver you'll have problems....

They take a #2 PHILLIPS!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Waldo said:
Rastoff said:
Ditto.
This particular post is not just to agree with Rastoff (tho I do) and I have not turned mine off since the initial ride home at 130mph (dunno if it even works). I do know that if your left lever/right lever/footbrake lever/throttle/kill switch/key failsafes all suddenly stop working, you have that one last switch to help ya out (if you can find it). Or, it might have to do with service or something or other.
After considerable time in the Laboratory (insert maniacal laugh here) :a13:
I have determined that the primary function of the Cruise Control Switch is
to keep the burn time on the "cruise" LED light to a minimum in order to save Mother Honda "Billions and Billions" (stole that quote from Carl Sagan) of dollars in warranty claims work when said LED exceeds it's estimated 100,000 hour MTBF. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Polecat,

Old Chinese proverb: "Never turn Goldwing cruise control on with hammer!"

·
Registered
892 Posts
"OK, so the cruise switch is stuck in the on position. So what? I haven't turned mine off since I bought the Wing. What purpose does that switch serve?"

For safety. Most vehicle crusie controls have to be turned back evertime the vehical is turned off.

I mistakenly hit my engage button one time when I was moving fairly slowly in a parking lot. What a suprise that was for the bike to quickly pick up speed.

From then on I turn mine off unless I plan to use the cruise.

With that info and a $1.25 you can get a cup of coffee most places.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
leaddog11 said:
"OK, so the cruise switch is stuck in the on position. So what? I haven't turned mine off since I bought the Wing. What purpose does that switch serve?"

For safety. Most vehicle crusie controls have to be turned back evertime the vehical is turned off.

I mistakenly hit my engage button one time when I was moving fairly slowly in a parking lot. What a suprise that was for the bike to quickly pick up speed.

Good point but 25 is minimum for engage and fourth gear at least. Fourth gear in a parking lot?

The kill switch is a whole other story about location.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Waldo said:
leaddog11 said:

Good point but 25 is minimum for engage and fourth gear at least. Fourth gear in a parking lot?

The kill switch is a whole other story about location.
Actually it's 35MPH and 4th gear. I still don't see how it's a safety issue. All you have to do is close the throttle or touch either lever or touch the brake pedal or hit the kill switch or turn off the bike or...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I didn't see it as a safety issue either. What I was concerned about was that if the cruise was stuck then the reverse switch might be next to go. I believe that would get you stuck in neutral. They are both the same kind of switch. Besides I can't stand it when something doesn't work.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ponton said:
I didn't see it as a safety issue either. What I was concerned about was that if the cruise was stuck then the reverse switch might be next to go. I believe that would get you stuck in neutral. They are both the same kind of switch. Besides I can't stand it when something doesn't work.
That's where I am. I leave the cruise switch on all the time myself. I just happened to notice its failure a few days ago and an inoperative button will eventual have to be fixed....it just has to be.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Rastoff said:
Actually it's 35MPH and 4th gear. I still don't see how it's a safety issue. All you have to do is close the throttle or touch either lever or touch the brake pedal or hit the kill switch or turn off the bike or...
Yeah, but you can tease her down to 25 with the DECEL button once she's set. I have many streets here at limit 25 (and lots of tickets for other speeds we won't mention :cop2: ) so I DO use it ------- she will do 25 in fourth but she's fussy. I'm pretty sure resume works too once it's at 25.... can't swear to it, tho.... icy here this week for a test. Somebody else will chime in if I'm wrong I'm sure.

Ride safe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts