GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Cruiser Mag 07 buyers guide.

No Goldwing !! Perhaps because it's a touring bike?

But there is HD's Ultra Classic which is supposed to be a touring bike.

Why is not included?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I agree with you. There shouldn't be an Ultra Classic if there is not
a Goldwing.

Herb

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Was the BMW listed in the Mag?

A few people on this board in the past have written that the Harley Ultra Classic was just a cruiser and could not be compared to a Wing. Now why would anbody want a wing compared to a cruiser?

I am not trying to make a challenge, just asking a question based on what has been here in the past.

In my eyes the Ultra Classic is a touring bike along with the Goldwing.

Ross

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5Ross said:
Was the BMW listed in the Mag?

A few people on this board in the past have written that the Harley Ultra Classic was just a cruiser and could not be compared to a Wing. Now why would anbody want a wing compared to a cruiser?

I am not trying to make a challenge, just asking a question based on what has been here in the past.

In my eyes the Ultra Classic is a touring bike along with the Goldwing.

Ross
Nope, BMW is not in the Mag. But Yamaha's Venture is
Funny..
Description of the Ultra:
Harley's top tourer is sure to benefit from the upgrade to the new 1584cc
Description of the Venture:
Yamaha's luxury tourer gets its motivation via a liquid cooled 1294cc V-4

I agree with you... I see the Ultra (and Venture) in the same category as the Goldwing.

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
The Wing is not a cruiser.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I thought cruisers were all V-twins. Anything else is ... well, not a cruiser.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
280 Posts
Holy Crap!!! You guys just look for any and every chance to blast away at Harley, dont ya. Your level of insecurity and the amount of self reassurance from you guys, never ceases to amaze me!
Oh well, Ride Safe, Ride Long, Ride Hard!!!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I believe the type of bike is determined by seating position. Cruisers have extended leg and forward handlebar positions and, like MBob said, virtually all V-twins are cruisers. Tourers have a much more upright seating position (feet under knees/thighs) with a relaxed arm handlebar position. Sport bikes have a feet under seat and aggressive lean forward handlebar position.

The Wing is not a cruiser and the UC is not a tourer regardless of what folks think or say about them, including HD literature. One can "tour" on a Vespa, but that doesn't make it a tourer.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
I thought cruisers were all V-twins. Anything else is ... well, not a cruiser.
My Valkyrie Interstate is a "cruiser". In fact, the Valk was rated Cruiser of the 90's. The Valk has the same motor as the GL1500 Wings.

Oooops!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wanderer is right.

The comment about the Vespa is correct. My second Honda 305 Super Hawk went from Norfolk, VA to Jax, FL in 1973 and the next day from Jax, FL to Pensacola, FL, and the day after back to Jax. It "toured" but it was no tourer, just about stood up on the thing for the last 50 miles into Jax from Norfolk. Sold it the next day after coming back from Pensacola. Didn't ride again till 1981 when I got the Yamaha 400.
Dennis

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wanderer said:
...like MBob said, virtually all V-twins are cruisers.
Somehow I suspect that Ducati would disagree about v-twins being cruisers, considering how many riders on Ducatis have won the Superbike World Championship.

And, yes, I did read the word "virtually" but I had to comment.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
meridien said:
Wanderer said:
...like MBob said, virtually all V-twins are cruisers.
Somehow I suspect that Ducati would disagree about v-twins being cruisers, considering how many riders on Ducatis have won the Superbike World Championship.

And, yes, I did read the word "virtually" but I had to comment.
I agree about Ducati not wanting to be classified as cruisers. Ducati, though, doesn't classify their bikes as "tourers" either. They classify them as either sport bikes or sport tourers. http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my20...CY0WCCRNCB2SFFAKFUIHUIV4?family=DesmosediciRR

Same for Buell. http://www.buell.com/en_us/home.asp

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
That's because our Goldwings are in a class of their own: Luxury Sport Tourer". Huh, huh, that's right, the GL1500 was a tourer, but the GL1800 is a beast of a different color.
You can cruise along with the other cruisers, you can keep pace with the sport bikes, and you can tour with it. Yes, but adding luxury to the equation is a class of its own.
So, next time someone refers to the GL1800 as a touring bike, enlighten them with the correct nomenclature.

Ride safely,

Mike

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I concur with the "ITALIAN STALLION", no IF's or BUT'S. The "WHITE" one is FASTER!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It is interesting to follow this thread. There are definitely different ways to look at what is a crusier, sportbike and touring bike?

My concept on this: I have a Cruiser, (Vulcan). I have a touring bike, (Goldwing). I can cruise or tour on either one. I do not own a sportbike. Now I can ride either one like a sport bike. (Not very good though) :wink:

Some people have tried to make a sport bike out of the Wing and that is fine. I am not interested in that. If I ever decide to ride a sport bike I will buy one.

This is just an honest way at how I look at it.

Ross

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
And yet another somewhat off topic reply. I remember a magazine, Motorcycle Consumer News IIRC, that had a tourer shootout. The winner was the Honda Valkyrie partly because it had the best acceleration. ???Actually that sounds more like a Cycle World type of decision but I do believe it was MCN.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Jack D said:
And yet another somewhat off topic reply. I remember a magazine, Motorcycle Consumer News IIRC, that had a tourer shootout. The winner was the Honda Valkyrie...
ABSOLUTELY! Hehehehehehehe

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Harley officially classifies all of its bikes as cruisers when sales totals by the industry are gathered. They appear to can't make up their mind though because if you go on their website, they talk about all their touring bikes.

IMO, you can't just put saddlebags and a windshield on a cruiser and call it a touring bike.

It's better this way. Every time a rag does a shootout for touring bikes, the Harley always finishes a distant last place.

You guys just look for any and every chance to blast away at Harley, dont ya
Well yeah, but hey, everybody's gotta have a hobby.

Picking on Harleys is like skipping stones across a lake. It serves no purpose but it is an amusing way of passing time and it's fairly easy to do.

OR
Picking on Harleys is like tying a bell to a cat's tail. It's not a very nice thing to do but watching the cats reaction is hilarious!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts