GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering a cruiser style bike for local riding. Anybody on board
own a yamaha Stratoliner? Comes loaded with chrome, alum. frame, 110 h.p. V-twin balanced really well, cruiser of the year in 2006. Seems like a neat bike for shorter hauls. Thanks for any and all input.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In answer to your question: No. But, my previous bike was a Suzuki C50 (805cc) and prior to buying the GoldWing I contemplated keeping the it for riding around town, thinking the Wing would be too much bike for the short hauls. In the end I sold the C50 so I could justify buying a GL1800 over a GL1500.

Even though the Suz was a fun bike for the three years I had it, I don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
We have an 05 1800 Wing and an 03 1800 VTX/S. I end up riding the Wing most of the time cause it is smooth and feels strong. The VTX is strong, but it shakes a bit and feels like it is working harder to get things done.

The X is a beautiful bike, but I ride the wing. The X is mostly ridden by the wife. I like the cruisers, but the Wing wins hands down!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I had both a wing and a stratoliner, just sold both...anyways really loved the wing and really loved the Strat. The Strat takes premium gas and I got around 40 mpg if I didn't twist hard on the throttle. Handles great for a big cruiser, it would keep up with my wing except in tight twisties. It will spank any Harley except a V Rod. Mine was stock exhaust, etc.
Right now strats are cheap for a top tier crusier.

Wing is a solid 10 for a big touring bike
Stratoliner is a solid 10 for a cruiser

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have owned a Royalstar Tour Deluxe, Nomad, Volusia, and have a Heritage Softail. All are great rides. Try several out and take your pick. I have heard good things about the Stratoliner. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
cruisers

Helped out on a Yamaha test ride last year.
Went with an open mind, the only bikes that I was impressed with were their sport bikes. Awesome performance, just not my thing.
I was not impressed with their cruisers & Venture. Either lacking power, or uncomfortable.
Whatever you are interested in, TEST RIDE it first.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I think having a second, different bike is a fun thing to do.... cruisers are fine, I've had a couple... but I would say that if I had still had them, I don't think I would ride them much just around town because they all had less power than the GW and having "less" power riding around is a disappointing thing...

I've had a couple of sport bikes, now with the CBR... not one to travel with, but she will move. When I had her and the cruisers, the cruisers won for comfort and long distance travel... that was replaced by the GW.

So, the CBR wins with power and fun for local riding.
and the GW wins with power and comfort for long distance riding.

If I still had my Shadow Spirit... fun bike, but felt like a scooter after riding the CBR and GW.... I don't think I would ride it much if I still had it. My common denominator is power...

An amazing thing how we get use to this... when I first bought the Spirit in 2002, first real road bike I ever had... the first few times I rode it I was afraid I had bought a bike with TOO much power.... time resolved this feeling...

·
Registered
27 Posts
own a yamaha Stratoliner? Comes loaded with chrome, alum. frame, 110 h.p. V-twin balanced really well, cruiser of the year in 2006. Seems like a neat bike for shorter hauls. Thanks for any and all input.
110 hp?!? Me thinks you mean C.I. :coffee1:

I currently ride a `06 Yamaha Roadstar but am looking to step up to a Goldwing in the future.

You might want to look at the Roadstar. 1700CC (108 c.i.), lots of chrome, comfortable seat for the rider AND passenger, lots of torque, burns regular gas and gets 45 to 50mpg.

I love mine.... and I don't consider it to be a short distance bike either, although it's just as home in town as it is on the open road. Last roadtrip was 1480 miles. :thumbup:

Best regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
110 hp?!? Me thinks you mean C.I. :coffee1:

I currently ride a `06 Yamaha Roadstar but am looking to step up to a Goldwing in the future.

You might want to look at the Roadstar. 1700CC (108 c.i.), lots of chrome, comfortable seat for the rider AND passenger, lots of torque, burns regular gas and gets 45 to 50mpg.

I love mine.... and I don't consider it to be a short distance bike either, although it's just as home in town as it is on the open road. Last roadtrip was 1480 miles. :thumbup:

Best regards,
Mike
CI on a Strat/roadliner is 113, HP is about 90 at the wheel, torque is 110

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My daughter's SO's has a virtually-new (only a few miles) Stratoliner in her basement. It looks great but the ride and handling is no great shakes. It will probably go up for sale this spring.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have a brand new vtx 1800 retro in the garage, its laura's bike

i took it out a few times, but i have no real interest in it at all, with my wing sitting next to it

its just not a wing

but, i do run the bmw rt out out once in a while, now that thing is a blast

a real fun machine to take to lunch, of course i run 200 miles for bbq lunch ....

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'll be the odd one here and state I much prefer a cruiser riding position to the Goldwing anyday. I would never own anything "sportier" than the Goldwing. Only a professional racer needs something spotier IMHO. If the Yamaha dealership is close to you, that is a great bike as far as I have read. But, if a Kawasaki dealership, Suzuki dealership, etc is closer, I'd go with their premium cruiser. Floorboards & feet forward. :thumbup:

Herb

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Floor boards

The stratoliner has a large set of factory mounted forward
floorboards standard equipment, even larger than the nomad's.

And a ton of chrome standard.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Roadstar...

When I picked out my Roadie, I sat on the Strat too...

The balance felt superb but I felt like I was sitting too high on the bike...it felt odd...

On the Roadstar, I felt more "into" the bike...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yamaha

JD.

I have a 2006 Road Star Midnight Silverado 1700.
Its black and chrome with the hard type bags.
Its a great ride and a real head turner.
Real fast and gets about 42 m.p.g.
I ride it on the one up days when wife does not want to go.
txs, F

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
pm sent

1 - 19 of 19 Posts