GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd already posted this, but I guess I did something wrong. The problem: cruse button won't stay depressed. Push--- it comes right back out . Once in awhile it will engage properly, then I can set the cruse.
Ideas and suggestions please.
Motodoc 43

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mine stuck IN instead of OUT. I posted a little "trick". Ride 150-200 miles in the rain. That "fixed" mine.

Seriously, I think you'll need to open up the area where the button is located, clean it, and apply some silicone grease. That's what others have done. On the other hand, you could keep trying until it stays in, then let it stay in.

I think if mine starts back sticking in, I'll just let it stay in or in "on" position, as others say they have done.

2W

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Since it will work once in a while, when you get it to work once just leave it engaged forever. Based on previous posts, the majority of us never turn them off.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Typically, grit and dust get behind the button and causes problems or the switch mechanism is corroded from being exposed to the elements. Since it appears to still work occasionally, you most likely just need to clean it.

Get a bottle of compressed air (like what is used to clean a computer keyboard) and blast around the button with air first ... then spray some silicone lubricant around the button while pressing the button repeatedly. Do a couple of air blast and silicone spray regimes and that usually frees up the button. DO NOT use WD-40! It may free up the button at first, but many people have found that it also attracks dust and eventually gums up the button again.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Before you go crazy with the silicone use a GOOD electrical contact spray cleaner--Radio Shack has a good one. Gotta get Ma Honda's factory sticky lube outta there first. It gets gummy after a while. The electrical cleaner is all I use--never silicone and NEVER WD-40. YMMV...

·
Registered
268 Posts
From what I have seen on Fred's Maintenance spraying cleaner and lube at it will not get to the mechanism inside. I would have to repair it. It would drive me crazy to know it did not work right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts