GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL - Changed the crush washer at last oil change.....think the Wing runs smoother, faster and quieter now. LOL. Honestly though, I was really surprized to see how much the old one had deformed over time and use.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I'm going to go get a cold beer (Corona of course) so I can sit back and watch the respoonses to this quesiton.
Okay, I'm ready, let the fun begin.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
leaddog11 said:
What the heck is the crush washer your talking about?????????
The crush washer was developed in an effort to stem the undesirable characteristic
known as "Hog droppings", which have been known to proliferate in areas geographically
positioned in close proximity to the entrances of establishments offering liquid entertainment
in poorly lighted structures having severe air flow restrictions resulting in less than satisfactory
olfactory experiences. The term "crush" is used to denote an action opposing the tendency
of an object to retain it's natural or purpose designed form and structure, and in this application
is used in conjunction with the term "washer", not to be confused with nor associated in any way with
other washers such as clothes, dish, floor, etc. Failure to utilize the crush washer in a correct fashion,
abuse of the crush washer by over-crushing, under-crushing or re-crushing an excessive number of times. can lead to
crush washer failure, resulting in a long series of related system breakdowns and can ultimately be fatal to equipment and
personnel involved. Your crush washer is your friend. Treat it with respect and never, never leave home without it.
Always follow safe lubrication practices by using your crush washer properly.
I hope this has been helpful.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Did you replace the old crush washer with a synthetic one?

Synthetic is better.

Did you remember to flush the engine with nitrogen before adding the new oil to prevent oxidation of the oil?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought you only needed the nitrogen on hydrogen powered Wings. AND to lube the crush washer I have it on good authority that that KY works best.(If you know what I mean)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Dream Catcher,

Now that ther is funny! :D

W

·
0 Posts
leaddog11 said:
What the heck is the crush washer your talking about?????????
Oh! Oh! here we go again.........hang on.........I'm going for a beer and snacks.......this might take awhile................LOL

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Leaddog - don't listen to these guys. A Crush Washer is an implement to wash your girlfriend with..... crush being synonymous with squeeze, significant other, POSSLQ, etc, and washer being a container used with water and soap, solvent, possibly a brush.......all wingers have a couple of them........and some have switched to 70 series washers........:lol:

Glad to see you are the lead dog. Otherwise the view never changes.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bulldog said:
I spend about $400 a year on crush washers.

Bulldog
Bulldog, I can sell you a years supply for only $350.00.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
CharlieUPI said:
Bulldog said:
I spend about $400 a year on crush washers.
Bulldog, I can sell you a years supply for only $350.00.
And the bidding war starts!!!

I'll sell you a years supply of crush buttons for $345.22

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Poor ol' leaddog11............
None of you guys are gonna tell him what a crush washer is.....
Lets just say that sooner or later you will have "hog droppings" if you dont change it out leaddog11.
I just got a new one and feel much better for it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I know it is the washer that goes on the Drain plug ....dah!!!...
but how does it make my bike run " smoother, faster and quieter "
Never have changed one in 40 years of riding and never had a leak.
Never owned a Harley either. hehehehehehehehe

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
Its that thar lil' thang wut be no bigger than'a squirrel and hit keeps yer blinker fluid from a'mixen with yer power steering fluid. Hit's crushed rite down in thar real tight like.

prs

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
leaddog11 said:
I know it is the washer that goes on the Drain plug ....dah!!!...
but how does it make my bike run " smoother, faster and quieter "
Never have changed one in 40 years of riding and never had a leak.
Never owned a Harley either. hehehehehehehehe
Better lucky than good I always say. :wink:
Your bike runs "smoother" because the oil hasn’t leaked out.
Your bike runs faster because the engine hasn’t seized.
Tour bike runs quieter because the engine is not eating itself up.
:D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am ready to change mine, but I first need to get my hands on a Left-Handed Metric Adjustable Wrench. I hear Crecent makes one, but does Fred have sources that might be cheaper?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts