GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed oil last week. GN-4 and Honda filter. I got out a new crush washer and laid it beside the bike. I changed the oil and was cleaning up...and found the washer I forgot to install. ?*♂ I had a lot of fun trying to stop the flow of the new oil with one hand as I placed the washer on the bolt with the other hand. Fun times.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I believe we probably all have done that :crying: Unless of course you don't change your own oil :wink2:

Ronnie

I bet you don't do that twice! 0:)

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just changed oil last week. GN-4 and Honda filter. I got out a new crush washer and laid it beside the bike. I changed the oil and was cleaning up...and found the washer I forgot to install. ?*♂ I had a lot of fun trying to stop the flow of the new oil with one hand as I placed the washer on the bolt with the other hand. Fun times.
A short video of this one handed maneuver would have been educational for some of us and certainly entertaining for everybody else. Thanks for sharing your oops.:surprise:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
If you buy Amsoil and filters from Bulldog he will give you a FREE crush washer, at least that’s what everyone used to say. I have never used any Amsoil products.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fortunately, I didn’t spill very much oil and I just put what I did spill back in. ?

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Never changed a crush washer. You guys worry too much. :D

Ooops. I take that back. I changed the one on my Cuda. What I believe to be the original was 1/2 gone and I put a new one on.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
"Never change a crush washer" on the oil drain plug.... eventually, the crush washer and drain plug become one. I have seen that happen and I had to replace the drain bolt just to use a new crush washer. I have also ended up missing putting the washer on the drain plug. Do it just right and quickly, you will not even lose an ounce of oil. Feel where the last of the threads are while holding the bolt straight in, turn a little more to drop past the thread lip and now you are ready to switch the bolt with your finger. Slip on the washer and go for another switch, but be prepared to give the bolt a little bit of a turn to help line up the threads and close off the flow. I lost so little, I did not even bother putting it back in. That was the 0.1 quart out of the 4 that does not need to be there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts