GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed oil and found crush washer on bottom of used oil catch pan. Forgot to put it on oil drain bolt. I'm guessing it'll be ok to leave washer off until next oil change but just check for leaks - is that ok?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Keep an eye on it if doesn't leak your good to go. If it does clean drain area and dump oil to claen pan. Put washer on and reuse oil.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Changed oil and found crush washer on bottom of used oil catch pan. Forgot to put it on oil drain bolt. I'm guessing it'll be ok to leave washer off until next oil change but just check for leaks - is that ok?
I did the same thing on my last oil change...washer is sitting on the tool box waiting for the next change....no leaks.....ride safe....

Scott

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Been there done that.:oops:

With a cold bike, I had a crushwasher ready to put on the bolt, I removed the drain plug and put my finger over the drain hole (reason for cold bike), with one hand I put the crushwasher on the drain plug and quickly removed my finger and installed plug with washer. Then checked and topped off the oil. A bit messy but you really don't loose that much oil in the process.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been there done that.:oops:

With a cold bike, I had a crushwasher ready to put on the bolt, I removed the drain plug and put my finger over the drain hole (reason for cold bike), with one hand I put the crushwasher on the drain plug and quickly removed my finger and installed plug with washer. Then checked and topped off the oil. A bit messy but you really don't loose that much oil in the process.
Good Save!:congrats:
The crushwasher came off the drain bolt on my first oil change. I put the drain bolt in without it. I'm lucky I caught my mistake before pouring the oil in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:eek:4:

If the washer is left off, and the bolt stays in more than 2 months, the two metals will seize and you'll never be able to drain the oil again . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .NOT.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

If the washer is left off, and the bolt stays in more than 2 months, the two metals will seize and you'll never be able to drain the oil again . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .NOT.
I'm not saying you can't get away with out having it but it's there for a purpose, if wasn't I guarantee Mother Honda would not have wasted the money to put it there. I'm sure it there to prevent leaks, without the crush washer the Oil Plug is a hard metal against a softer aluminum. Over time (heating and cooling) you can have a leak issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts

What really happens is the drain bolt contacting the engine block directly without a crush washer will trigger an automatic sensor inside the ECM that will in turn trigger your audio, CB or Navi unit to send a satellite signal transmission to Mother Honda's Corporate Ivy Tower Head Honcho Powers That Be in Japan.

Within 2 weeks thereafter you will receive a formal notification from Mother Honda that your Warranty is 100% Completely Voided In Perpetuity, because you've been an Incorrigably Unforgivable Baaaaaaad Little Boy.

You'd better knuckle under, bow down, and get that crush washer reinstalled ASAP.

Because if you continue ignoring Mother Honda's advices even after your Warranty has been completely Voided, of course, two weeks thereafter the ECM will trigger a seconday function, causing your entire engine to explode into smithereens and a thousand pieces of Useless Shrapnel.

Mother Honda takes them exalted Crush Washers very, very seriously, y'know. You Have Been Warned !

I am an Undercover Secret Agent for the Honda Motor Co. Authorized Service Manual Compliance and Crush Washer Enforcement Task Force.

I am risking my employment by giving you an unauthorized, clandestine, friendly heads-up warning. Don't Look a Gift Horse In The Mouth ! Baaaaaad Little Boyism will not be tolerated a 2nd time !

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Could of sent me a PM!
I will tell you I have done this mine never did leak.
Saved it until the next oil change then installed it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I have it tethered to my filter wrench with a note that says: "install this next oil change" but in the mean time I'll keep an eye on it or someday if I have nothing better to do I may put it on using the 'finger in the dike method'.

·
Registered
127 Posts
THIS HAPPENED TO ME SO I JUST PUT TWO OF THEM ON THE NEXT TIME. NOPE:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I also had a missing washer. It is running on the second change with out one. I now have one and will install it the next change. No oil leak so far.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What really happens is the drain bolt contacting the engine block directly without a crush washer will trigger an automatic sensor inside the ECM
:p Wow, it's worse than I thought. This is serious. Watch out!:cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Crush washer "serious question"

A "SERIOUS QUESTION" about a crush washer, on THIS forum????
Ya gotta be kiddin'......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did the same thing so i removed the drain plug and put the washer back on, only lost about a teaspoon of oil at the most. (put my finger over the hole)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts