GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:I finally found out why the engine kept falling out of the bike; at odd times and places. Apparently a little over a year and 4700 miles back, I dropped the crush washer as I was putting in the drain plug, unbeknownst to me.:shrug: When I changed the oil & filter this time, could not find the washer. :eek:4:
So went ahead and put in the plug:wrong:. So far engine hasn’t fallen out again but if it does, I guess I will have to go back to using them.:22yikes::a13: Now, at least, thanks to Van Dyer, I have some to use!

He even sent some art work with it!

Thank you Van
:biker:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The engine falling out is not a product of the missing "crush washer".:wrong: It is a feature of not using the correct tie straps to hold the battery cover attachment grommets in place. If the ends of the ties point up the engine stays in, if the ends point down.... Well, what can I say? You will spend your free time picking up the engine and pitting it back in. Works on the same principle that putting posts in the ground on a full moon keeps the posts in the ground, on a new moon, they will rot with in a year.:nojoke:

·
Registered
276 Posts
This engine falling out thread is beginning to sound like the famous Rockwell Automation item.

The Rockwell product sure sounds believable, but is a complete hoax.:nojoke:

Apparently, Rockwell did this "show" at a trade show as a humorous effort to win customers. I have no idea if it worked.:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oh boy , I understood the first 3 seconds of that, but some where in that it said how to keep the motor in

·
Registered
251 Posts
board ?????? It's OK as long as you notice and stop and pick it up.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
changing the 'dual-quad-muffler-bearing'- for extra safety:joke: - check

correct tie straps hold battery cover attachment grommets in place - check

using the wrong oil and the engine wants out looking for good oil-don't think that could be the issue, using 15w50 Mobile1
:capwin:
Thanks for the additional items to check for. It might not be the crush washer after all.:clap2::biker:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had been ignoring this thread because I thought, "What new can I learn about cruch washers?" Boy, was I wrong! I did a complete once over of my new Wing, and low and behold, I discover that my blinker fluid reservoir was bone dry. :shock: Looks like I caught that one just in time. My wife says that the only thing wrong with our new ride is the loose nut behind the handle bars.

Check out KaleCoAuto for these, and other hard to find parts. Unfortunately they are sold out of the Blinker Fluid. :eek:4:

·
Registered
297 Posts
:eek:I finally found out why the engine kept falling out of the bike; at odd times and places. Apparently a little over a year and 4700 miles back, I dropped the crush washer as I was putting in the drain plug, unbeknownst to me.:shrug: When I changed the oil & filter this time, could not find the washer. :eek:4:
So went ahead and put in the plug:wrong:. So far engine hasn’t fallen out again but if it does, I guess I will have to go back to using them.:22yikes::a13: Now, at least, thanks to Van Dyer, I have some to use!

He even sent some art work with it!

Thank you Van
:biker:

PMS I would think "pms" is unusual in Tennessee, but I believe you need to put a set of chains or studed tires on that trike , dress warm, and go for a long ride. I lived in eastern Tennessee for 17 years and PMS periods were very short, just dress for the ride and go, as long as you keep riding, your crush washer, or lack of one, will never cause your engine to fall out.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Lorenzo, that is a good site for those hard to find items:joke::yes1:

Hope your wife finds the wrench to tighten up that loose nut behind the handle bars. Bad things would happen if it falls off!:coffee1:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks Lorenzo, that is a good site for those hard to find items:joke::yes1:

Hope your wife finds the wrench to tighten up that loose nut behind the handle bars. Bad things would happen if it falls off!:coffee1:
You're welcome. With a little more loking I did find the right tool on their site. They call it a Pilot Wrench. :drive1:

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Boy you folks that cant ride now due to the weather sure are board arent ya?:eek:4:
I've got to admit. I have been bored quite a bit lately because of lack of riding but.......I have not been board :shock: ! But I have been on the board more than usual :biggrin: ! hahahaha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts