GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alot has been written about these, I am getting my 2010 GW ready for a BIG trip and changed the oil today to Castrol 10 W 40 Synthetic at 2050 Miles. By the way $9.35 a QT at Auto Zone.

There was no Crush Washer on the bike from the factory, so I see no useful purpose other than for those people, who have to over torque everything, and even then if you put a Crush Washer on, there are some that will keep on crakin !

When I pulled the Plug it was quite tight, and I tightened it back about the same, no leak.

I had Crush Washers on my 02 wing used Amsoil and the damm thing leaked, I figure if Honda Factory didn't see fit to put one on, it must not need it.

Ride Safe
Bob

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Look in the bottom of your drain pan.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Ever think it could have been built on Friday, after a second shift dinner break!:eek:4:

·
Registered
262 Posts
You may never have a problem, but for the cost of a handful of crush washers, I'd keep some on hand. Yours may have slipped through Quality Control, but you won't find many factory fesh without the washer. How about your manual? Does it show a washer?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The crush washer's primary purpose is to absorb the final umph that is put behind a potential over torque. The secondary purpose is to stop an oil leak. Obviously one purpose is far more important than the other because the chances of stripping the internal threads on the drain hole are far greater than the chances of the plug leaking due to a forgotten crush washer. If you have correctly torqued your drain bolt with no crush washer and there is no oil leak then where's the problem?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would think .. that after paying for what a new Goldwing costs ..
and after depleting our bank accounts on all the farckles we buy ..
the last thing we would compromise on is something so trivial as ..
the oil we use .. and a $.10 crush washer .. go figure.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My '05 I bought 2 years ago had no crush washer (didn't know it) Had fresh oil in it when I bought it from a wholesale'r. WEnt to change the oil down the road a bit and found out it had NO crush Washer :eek:4:.
No leaks at all. Go figure! Ha...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Me thinks good oil

alot has been written about these, I am getting my 2010 GW ready for a BIG trip and changed the oil today to Castrol 10 W 40 Synthetic at 2050 Miles. By the way $9.35 a QT at Auto Zone.

I think you will like this oil. Got the same stuff in my bike, started using it at about 8500 miles. I am sure it made a noticeable difference with engine/transmission but some on this forum don't believe you would be able to notice. ***Please let me/us know if you notice any improvements. The engine seems smoother, acceleration is better and clutch/shifting are improved all except for the 1st to 2nd shift, that one is always sort of clunky. I am also going to run this oil the recommended 8000 mile intervals too.
Don't forget to subtract a half quart if you aren't using a crush washer :joke:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Nope, can't bring myself to do it. No good could come out of it anyway. :rolleyes: LMAO

I will wish you a safe and fun trip, and mean it though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use nylon washers.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believers vs. Non-Believers

I think you will like this oil. Got the same stuff in my bike, started using it at about 8500 miles. I am sure it made a noticeable difference with engine/transmission but some on this forum don't believe you would be able to notice. ***Please let me/us know if you notice any improvements. The engine seems smoother, acceleration is better and clutch/shifting are improved all except for the 1st to 2nd shift, that one is always sort of clunky. I am also going to run this oil the recommended 8000 mile intervals too.
Don't forget to subtract a half quart if you aren't using a crush washer :joke:
I ran Amsoil in my 02 Wing, back then many were using Mobil Red Cap, Amsoil was I believe about 2 bucks more a qt.
than Mobil with Amsoil priced at $6.85 a qt.THEN !

Amsoil is a good oil but I believe they have priced themselves out of the Market. One of the Amsoil dealers that posts on this forum told me when I complained that Amsoil is over $11,00 a Qt and is overpriced, he said "you will really think it's overpriced as soon as the new prices come into effect, or words to that effect."

I have no doubt that when this post hits, I will read "cheap is not always good and good is not always cheap" Well, that my friends is an opinion from I believe an Amsoil Dealer who is brainwashed.

Let me be clear I'm not knocking Amsoil or it's quality, if it was priced REASONABLE I would be using it. Amsoil was the first to invent Synthetics, but that doesn't give Amsoil a big leg up on say Castrol and others, Companies such as Castrol spend alot of money on R & D.I suspect that Amsoil if feeling the effect from that, in the Market Share, thus the Amsoil propaganda on all Bike Related sites.

A person could go totally BONKERS reading all of the Comparisions, trust me I have read many, and concluded that just because they say it doesn't make it true.

I would note, that most Producers of Synthetics, boast that changing oil is recommended every 10k miles I change my filter at 5k and add back to full mark.

Toynaround, I will let you know after a few thousand miles what I think of the Castrol.

Ride Safe
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts