GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 months ago I was ecstatic that Honda was willing to cover the rebuild of my faulty transmission on my '04 under extended Warranty.

It has now been in the shop for a total of more than a year under a combination of Warranty Repairs and Recalls. A real Lemon, but I loved to ride her! 55K miles so far over the past 5 (-1) years.

The Honda PowerSports dealer is closing their doors. The Mechanic that tore the bike apart is long gone. The dealer quickly slapped it together, and I retrieved the bike. The transmission apparently fixed. Had to buy a replacement battery as mine was not properly tended to. Bike made tons of strange noises as I rode her home. Died completely by the time I got home; not the battery, obviously an intermittent ground connection to the chassis. Most of my add-on electronics is missing or disconnected, Driving Lights, Cell Phone, GPS and FRS interfaces and Lane Cancel switch connected Integrated Garage Remote Control. Fasteners and Emblems are missing. Your guess is as good as mine as to what else is missing ...

What a fargin Quagmire. Immediately called Honda Corporate.

Can someone tell me how I can keep my voice from quivering when the "Case Worker" calls me back in a few days?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
hmmmm, have them speak to your lawyer?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Oh Crap!!!!!
First thing I would do is try to take a complete inventory of what is missing, after the rage settles down a bit. I think I would even try to contact the mech that worked on your Wing and see if he can help (with information, his life is likely sucking also right now). You might even try contacting your insurance and see if there is any help that way. Do you have any friends that are lawyers? Man, I feel for you in this situation, not fun!!

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,706 Posts
Man, what a mess. Really sorry to hear this. :frown:

However, I agree with the poster above. Get a lawyer on the case. Sounds like grand theft moto to me.

Wishing you the best in your struggle.

Litigate safely.

·
15 year Member
6,975 Posts
That is a sad story, givin my story I really lucked out..... Dealing with the Honda reps is a friggin nightmare, if I had to do it again I would sell my bike as salvage and buy a new one.... whoever gets you bike to "fix" is going to be "up against it"!! I hope it works out for you ant the people you have to deal with are better that the ones I had to deal with.... I have/had a Top notch mechanic, that always helps...

Good Luck!

Matt(BCNV):eek:4:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Once again, the "professionals" on here want you to get a high priced attorney, call out the National Gaurd and call a special session in Congress.

If you tell the person who calls you back from Honda that you have an attorney, they will go "cold" on you and will make life tough. Be nice to them. Explain the circumstances to them and be nice. Honda does not respond to threats very well and they have a whole platoon of lawyers ready to fight when needed.

Also, find another dealer that will help you work with Honda. A dealer that likes Goldwings. You may have to travel a way, but it will be worth it. Don't expect instant gratification (like a free upgrade to a new bike and 1 million dollars for pain and suffering) like some people on here want. It may take a while, but if you are patient, you can get the results you need.

G

·
Once again, the "professionals" on here want you to get a high priced attorney, call out the National Gaurd and call a special session in Congress.

If you tell the person who calls you back from Honda that you have an attorney, they will go "cold" on you and will make life tough. Be nice to them. Explain the circumstances to them and be nice. Honda does not respond to threats very well and they have a whole platoon of lawyers ready to fight when needed.

Also, find another dealer that will help you work with Honda. A dealer that likes Goldwings. You may have to travel a way, but it will be worth it. Don't expect instant gratification (like a free upgrade to a new bike and 1 million dollars for pain and suffering) like some people on here want. It may take a while, but if you are patient, you can get the results you need.
He's already been patient for a stinking year and look what it got him. :shrug::rolleyes:

·
Registered
394 Posts
He's already been patient for a stinking year and look what it got him. :shrug::rolleyes:
For a combination of repairs is what it sounds like. Not for 1 year straight. Now he is either stretching the truth, or has had guys work on it who just don't give a hoot if it gets fixed or not. He needs to find another dealer. One who LIKES Goldwings. If you think he should sue, then he will be waiting even longer to receive any satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It is possible that retaining an attorney might end up being the OP's ultimate recourse however, I agree that the first thing is to discuss the problem in a calm and reasonable manner when the "case worker" contacts him. Yeah, basically .."be nice" before resorting to other measures. It is truly a bad situation but it sounds as though a series of events, not necessarily related, have lead to his present perdicament. Threatening Honda with lawsuits or obtaining a lawyer would seem to be premature. Like has been said,Honda has plenty of lawyers and lots of experience with lawsuits not to mention the financial resources to make it a very expensive pursuit for the OP if they want. No reason to piss them off and make them defensive right off the bat.

Best of luck. I feel for ya'.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Be real cool when you talk with Honda and remember....you can catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar...or something like that:shrug:

·
Registered
828 Posts
I agree with being cool with honda folks, keep in mind the dealer that is closing is the one who got you to this point. The new folks that you speak with had nothing to do with it, but they are the ones that could help you...........Good luck and please keep us posted.

Mike

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Sometimes it is easier to redirect your frustration so as not to muddy the water you must drink. I recommend you burn down an orphanage in a neighboring state then strangle a puppy. Just saying that lets off a several PSI of aggravation.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:I have always gotten what I wanted from Honda just by being nice and explaining the situation. I dont think they want you mad anymore than you want to be mad.
It is possible that retaining an attorney might end up being the OP's ultimate recourse however, I agree that the first thing is to discuss the problem in a calm and reasonable manner when the "case worker" contacts him. Yeah, basically .."be nice" before resorting to other measures. It is truly a bad situation but it sounds as though a series of events, not necessarily related, have lead to his present perdicament. Threatening Honda with lawsuits or obtaining a lawyer would seem to be premature. Like has been said,Honda has plenty of lawyers and lots of experience with lawsuits not to mention the financial resources to make it a very expensive pursuit for the OP if they want. No reason to piss them off and make them defensive right off the bat.

Best of luck. I feel for ya'.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Can someone tell me how I can keep my voice from quivering when the "Case Worker" calls me back in a few days?
Hey Mark...

As Dean Martin used to say, "Doobie, doobie, doooo..."

That might help you see things in a different light... :thumbup:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,706 Posts
Good points made by all posters thus far.

Please remember your gripe is really with the dealer, not Mother Honda. Still, I say going it alone will just get you crushed. A consult with an attorney can make you aware of options open to you.

Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you have photo's of your gl1800. I would take those plus additional pictures of items that are missing like fastners and other hardward that is visibly not there or not in place. Then calmly ask the dealer if you can look through the shop to try and locate these items before it is all throw in the trash. Point is you are just trying to get as much as possible back before the shop is totally cleaned out. Then continue to proceed with whatever maintenance is needed through honda and there extended warrenty program. The dealer just might cooperate. Throwing the Lawyer word around will only piss them off and shut you completely out of there shop.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts

This makes a lot of sense. In this situation, dang difficult to be nice, but might get ya more than by being difficult. I don't know if I could be nice, but Honda can shut ya out if they want to and that will get you nothing but more grief. If you're nice and they still shut you out, then you can consider litigation. Litigation is usually an expensive alternative, and may not work.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
The missing parts happened to me. I left a brand new(long story) camper at a dealership to sell for me on consignment. 6 months later I went to get it back and it looked like they had used it as a parts supplier. They did replace everything as it was real hard to deny. Good Luck.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Sometimes it is easier to redirect your frustration so as not to muddy the water you must drink. I recommend you burn down an orphanage in a neighboring state then strangle a puppy. Just saying that lets off a several PSI of aggravation.

Or if it's more convient, a murderous rampage to a sleepy little town, like Beaver Arkansas........

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
What a nightmare. holy crap

I most likely would be seeking bail about right now, had this happened to me

1 - 20 of 61 Posts