GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two times in two weeks, I have made contact with two sellers on the classified section. Names of the sellers will not make any difference in this post and shall remain nameless, unless you want me to talk to my boys in the city after I tell you...LOL

Here is the point: I know, that I was the first responder for both items, by the sellers own admission. On one of the sales, the seller decided to sell the merchandise to a Friend of a Friend. Second sale, member just backed out of sale completely due to sellers regret. In each instance, the non seller sent me their regrets with a weak explanation.

At no time did I haggle, nor did I flinch on the deal. At what point, does the integrity of the Classified Board collapse? It's OK with me that I did not get the merchandise, as you can not loose that which you never had.

But why would board members (they have to be to post) post a an item for sale and then renege on the first offer? A total waste of my time and money, writing EMAILS and making phone calls across the country, for ZIP ! Was there perhaps a better deal made behind the curtain? The imagination can run wild here. What about the integrity of the items and the sellers?

Even after all of this, I still believe in the integrity of a handshake and a Mans / Womens word. Am I living in the past?

I guess I just had to vent my frustration! And what better way to expend my 12 hundreth post. I feel better now :lol:

Bulldog

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bulldog,
Integrity is a rare commodity. I have come to expect selfishness and narrow-mindedness. For the most part I’m not disappointed. Expectations can kill you!
:duck: RW

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
guess I'm liv'n in the past with you Bulldog.....this is how I am and how I expect others to interact with me, whether on a biz basis or social...all the same in the end.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I guess I'm living in the past also. Where a mans word is his word, and a handshake is all thats needed. That's really disapointing. I have learned so much from this board, I truley hope I don't get that kind of lesson. :no:

·
Registered
188 Posts
i also must be living in the past..hand shakes with me go along way..hope when the time comes to get some goodies i dont get treated this way... :cus:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Integrity

Bulldog........Remember when Joy offered the Aloha shirts for sale. I asked her for her address so I could put the check in the mail. Well, she said just wait til I get the shirt and send the check to the return address on the shirt package. I'm not sure how many shirts she mailed out but it was at least a couple hundred dollars. Sure hope she don't get stiffed for being a trusting soul. And yes BD....My check is in the mail. LOL

Jerry

·
Registered
656 Posts
It is amazing! Some guy posted several items for sale and I responded to one of the items "sold" "I'll take it" asking price OK just tell me how you want to get paid. No responce. Another member tried to buy one of the other items. I don't know what happened. I sure don't get it.

What are ya gonna do?

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Stiffed on Sales

Let me share something that happened to me some while back. I dont not put anything up for sale unless I have completely thought it over and am sure I will not have sellers regrets. Sometimes I let something set in the closet a month before I am sure I want to get rid of it. When I know for sure I put it up and generally sell quickly. I have had the time when my email server would not receive email or would not send them out. In that case, the first "sold" did not get the message thru to me. Not their fault and not my fault. It just happened. However, if you put something up for sale on the board....... sell it. I will ship many times before getting my money because I have an intuition about people. Never been stiffed yet.
Just my .02
Allan

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree with you about a persons word is their word and it better be good. Week before last I posted a stock 1800 seat for sale on the board. Got a hit on it through this board, sent it to the buyer on this past Monday and sent him a e-mail with the total including packing and shipping. Got an e-mail back on Thursday saying he got the seat in the condition advertised and the check was in the mail. I'm sure it will arrive on Monday. I'm not going to mention the buyers name, but am sure that the check is in the mail! I'm a landlord and have heard that the check is in the mail many times before!!! LOL

·
Registered
615 Posts
Jerry I thought about that, but I know where you all live :lol:
Paupton, I kind of feel the way you do, and I have a good feeling about all that requested the shirts. And I got the idea from some of the great vendors we have on this board. So here's hoping :wink: Joy

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Don't DIZZ me Man........Have to agree, at least respond back to an inquire as to the question. Had a few myself.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i am with the dawg on this one 100%.

if you give your word, then by all emans thats the story, case closed.

on the computer you have only your reputation, one stupid excuse can go a long way in ruining that.

loren

·
Registered
810 Posts
Response is Critical

I haven't seen any comments yet that I'd disagree with, but I will make some additional points as someone who has sold a lot, and I mean an awfull lot, on bike forums, before I came to this group.

It is critical for the potential buyer to be extremely clear on his or her intentions.

Telling a seller that you are interested in the item is nothing more than that, that you are interested, especially if you are including a question. Telling a seller that you want to buy it, or consider it sold, is more firm.

I've had individual inquire about items with me and then, as we 'discuss' it, another person says "consider it sold". One might think or have the opinion I was under an obligation with the first buyer, but I disgree. That buyer was simply asking questions. If they said 'hold it' and I agreed, that's different.

I guess my point here is that if you want to buy something, you have to be very clear and tell the seller you want it. If you have a question, tell the seller to consider it told conducive upon the answer to your question, so at least it's being held for you but you might want to even specify that.

Don't play email tag asking questions and expect the item to be there. It doesn't happen that way.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I totally agree with the above posts. I have some things on the classifieds for sale..but no interest :cry: lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
When traded in my Trophy for my wing I took off all of the stuff I had put on it and sold it on a yahoo board. All of it came to a little over $1000 in bits and pieces. When someone said they wanted an item they sent a shipping address and the next day it was at UPS and within a week I had a check, not one item did I have a problm with. Guess I should have tried to protect myself better but it shows there are people who do what they say.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Pretty hard to disagree on this one....

....one's word and integrity are the foundation for everything the individual does and is. Sometimes when one is selling an item, however, there might be a couple of negotiations/deals being worked, and sometimes the timing can be bad for someone. A good, solid explanation generally settles any doubt, but as we see on this board (on other topics), communications can be a challenge (writing something or saying something is no problem, but actually communicating successfully can be). Lack of communications has resulted in many a divorce and many a war and in most things that we do. I've been there (and no, I have not started any wars).

Most of the folks here are very trustworthy -- and you can neurally tell just from the posts and interactions with them. Unfortunately, there are always a few rotten apples. Oh, by the way, I agree with Jerry on Joy's faith. I have a shirt on the way to me and will get the check off to her as soon as it arrives (would have already sent it, but she's testing me -- heh, heh)! Thanks to Dawg, Joy, and many of the other great folks that help us all out.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Bulldog.......True words .

Another little thing that gets messed up is printed T-shirts.

Another bbs I visit for street rodding stuff. One person gets an idea about group T-shirts.... many , many folks sign on.

the shirts are finished....... less than 50% are ever paid for by the same people that spoke up for the idea. These folks suddenly get real quiet. ;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Dawg my friend,
Welcome to the I, ME, Mine generation. The days of my word is my bond, and sealed with a handshake are all but gone.
It's all about, what have you done for me today. If one doesn't feel that they will have personal gain they are simply not interesred. Absolutely no concern as to whether or not they have caused a burden to the other party.
Not trying to a feather in my cap, but it would be safe to say that I have probably given more things away than I have ever sold. Surprisingly enough many of those items have been on this board with never as much as a thank you. Then later see that same person selling some nickel dime item that someone is looking for. One would think that being that someone just gave you something that perhaps they would be willing to pass the gesture along to someone else on another day.
Fortunately those people are few when it comes to this board, but still very disconcerting. I guess I'm a slow learner cause I refuse to let those few dictate how I will model my life in the future, but rest assured it won't happen twice with the same person. For me I guess that's why I keep my circle of friends small as it seems to minimize some of lifes disappointments. I must say though that through this board I've made friends that are second to none and better than some that I have known my entire life!
Dawg, keep the faith my friend, as even though integrity is on the decline this board still has some really great people!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts