GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You Cobra owners who have the auxiliary tank know it holds (the specs say) 3.4 gallons. The GL1800 manual says it holds 6.74 gallons, for a total on your trike of 10.14. The extra is nice to have considering how comfortable the Cobra is. My wife and I have ridden over 4 hours many times without stopping.

When we came back from the Smokies last week, we filled up in Sevierville and rode home to Hamilton, OH – 295 miles – almost all on I-75. So we were pretty low on fuel. I knew I would have to gas up the next time we went out. (We got around 36 mpg riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, 45 mph limit, but we get 30-32 mpg on the highway running 70-75.)

Last Saturday was a nice sunny day, temp 59, so we went for a ride. With 295 on the Odo., we headed for a gas station. Figuring we could get 320, I passed the first 2 stations ($2.19). Oddly enough, I felt a stabbing pain in my ribs as I bypassed those 2 stations looking for a better price. The third was a Speedway at $2.07, so we pulled in at 303 miles. I was going to look for a cheaper place but something smacked me in the helmet and I heard a voice say, "You WILL stop here!" I filled it all the way until it was in the filler neck. It took 9.805 gallons! We were probably running on fumes, because in Sevierville, I didn’t bother to top it off.

Wilson tells me of a guy who - carrying a gallon can - ran his dry on purpose and got 334 miles. (I may be wrong on that 334, it may have been more but I lost the email).

I probably won't go that far again, Tina didn't appreciate it at all.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
In mid '04 Acey Fruge of New Iberia, while two up, (along with a gallon of fuel) set out to roll his '04 Wing CSC Trike until the tank ran dry. He rolled all back roads to avoid the 70 mph speed, doing 61 as the probable highest speed (Lousisana speed limit is 55 for back road riding).

They were able to acheive 337.? miles before he ran out of fuel. I suppose we need to correct the wing mileage deducting 4 miles per hundred. SO... he probably acheived 329 miles to a dry tank.

For what it's worth......!!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Have ran 310 miles and put 9.82 gal in the tank.Didn't get a smack on the helment but sure got an ear full over the intercom! Mama don't like to walk! Since that time I've set a 300 mile limit between fillups. I just love being able ride tilll I want to stop.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this increased range after we install our kit at the end of this year.
Right now, we stop every 120 miles or so just to stretch our legs. Problem is, that's just about the time we should top off the fuel...so, all we ever see are gas stations...unless we want to make multiple stops. That's OK sometimes, but it makes for slow going. It sure will be nice not to need to stop at gas stations when we reach that 120 mile mark.
On the down side, I'm not exactly looking forward to the decrease in gas mileage. I've always gotten mid-40's (higher, sometimes) and dropping down into the 30's will be a bit depressing. Oh well.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts