GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, need some help please.......

Today i begin to install the lightbar on the Cobra, i noticed the wires from the left and right red running light and brake light, like the install manual shows......
But in the manual is a picture, that say there are three wires for each side, ground - running light - and brake light ! , but when i looked the wires on the lightbar, there is only two black wires on each side !! They are even not colored like the manual say's........:shrug:

i contacted the belgium dealer, and he told me, there must be three wires on each side, because he did not believe me, he went to the stock, and unpacked one, and he told me, yes !! there are also two black wires on each side !!
he could not explane how this is possible.........
Does anyone seen this before ?? I am sure i only can connect these lights as running lights, OR brakelights, but not bouth......:oops:

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is another option....

Could be that each of these wires are indeed the hot lead to running and brake light circuits and that the ground path is being supplied by however the light bar is mounted to the bike.

Since I don't know this for sure you can experiment just a bit and figure it out. Try mounting the light bar then touch each of the black wires to a know good bike 12 volt source. You might be plesently surprised of the outcome....

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think they can be running or brake but not both unless you have a diode in the circurt. I copied this from the manual

WIRES ARE COLOR CODED FOR EACH ELECTRICAL FUNCTION ON THE TRIKE BODY
MATCH UP EACH WIRE:
LIGHTBAR - BK/WH IS GROUND
- BLACK IS RUNNING LIGHTS
BODY -WHITE IS GROUND
-BROWN IS RUNNING LIGHTS
CUT AND TRIM BACK A SECTION OF WIRE FOR EACH OF THE ABOVE FROM THE TRIKE.
ATTACH TOGETHER USING SCOTCH LOCKS PROVIDED. PLACE EACH END OF WIRE
INTO THE GROOVE AND CLOSE LOCK TO SECURE. REPEAT FOR BRAKE LIGHTS AND​
RUNNING LIGHTS.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey, that's a thought I should have had..... I did exactly that to my trunk spoiler in '01 back before any commercial dual purpose circuit was available. :lol::lol:

Is this light bar LEDs or regular lamps? The size of the components used in the circuit will make a difference.. Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. Unless you find my first guess to be correct... :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
739 Posts

If this is the light bar you have then this circuit will let you have lower brightness running lights and when you break the LEDs will brighten up. If you would like more contrast between the two, increase the value of the dropping resistor to a value you prefer. I'd expect another 100 ohms would be the most you could change it.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am gonna try with the show chrome dual light, normal used for the trunk spoiler, but this is not normal, the install,guide from CSC has written, there are three wires on each side off the bulb, but there are only two, on each bulb or led light........:shrug:
i tryd the two wires, it's a 12V (+) and a ground (-), i send them a e-mail, but still waithing for reply.........:cry:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep !! i used the show chrome part for dual lightning, running and brake light, so my problem is solved, thanks guy's...:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts