GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted everyone to know that I had a CSC rear end failure this weekend. Talking with CSC now, all is to be warranty replacement, only have 4 months and 16,000 miles on the rear end.

This last week I noticed the right rear making a dragging noise. Called the dealer to have them work on it, they scheduled it for Wednesday. I went out today to move the trike and -NO rear brakes. Took the right rear off and here's what I found - the caliper was fallen off! These parts were broken off:

http://www.pa-chapterb.com/Coppermine/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=1

from the suspension carrier here:

http://www.pa-chapterb.com/Coppermine/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=0

another shot of it:

http://www.pa-chapterb.com/Coppermine/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=2

Don't know what caused it but looks like the caliper put too much pressure on the mounting holes. It has the race upgraded brakes. Just FYI if you hear something in your rear end, have it checked IMMEDIATELY! Lucky I wasn't going down the road at 70 mph.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
WOW, Now that ain't good........:22yikes:

They will fix it but sure would like to know why, as I am sure you would too; also.......

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
It is not the bolt that broke, its the casting. Problem is much deeper than only a broken bolt.

Overtightning a bolt would only cause the theads to strip on either the bolt or the boss or a broken bolt.

A boss that splits has an engineering or manufacturing problem.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sorry to see this, but glad CSC is standing up for you.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"IR Harry wrote - A boss that splits has an engineering or manufacturing problem."

Yea, my thoughts exactly. It looks like the casting cracked because of over tightening or manufacturer casting defect. But what gets me is that the LOWER bolt hole also is cracked and NOTHING is bolted to this hole. I have the pieces that fit the top hole and the bottom one. And the other top hole where the second bolt holding the caliper on is good. The carrier has the bolt in it that goes in this hole. It's like both bolts came out, one by the casing cracking and the other by the bolt loosening. And then the other hole broke from the caliper swinging around! Just not good craftsmanship to my way of thinking. But is it builder or manufacturer's fault? Either way they ARE going to make it right. ;)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It is not the bolt that broke, its the casting. Problem is much deeper than only a broken bolt.

Overtightning a bolt would only cause the theads to strip on either the bolt or the boss or a broken bolt.

A boss that splits has an engineering or manufacturing problem.

Harry, what are the chances that the caliper bolts slowly worked themselve loose, which allowed the caliper to move back and forth? Could the caliper have gotten SO loose that it caught onto the wheel, in a twisting motion, breaking off the bolt hole bosses?

Mad Jack, you state that your trike has 18,000 miles on it. Your sig reveals that your trike is an '05 1800. Is your conversion kit fours years old, also?

Did you purchase the trike with the "Performance Brake Upgrade" or was it installed after the purchase?

Lastly, considering the seriouness of this issue, has CSC asked the installer to send them the defective hub and issued any notices to present CSC owners? I realize a lot of you guys are on the forum but surely only a fraction of the true number is aware of this safety issue. This is not a wear and tear issue. This is a safety issue.

Wayne

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
One thing we have to decide on is the difference between an incident and an issue. An isolated case or two would be an incident, but every fourth one makes it an issue. Got to say this is the first one I have heard of, and looks like it could be an assembly problem, not a problem with the basic design.
Someone can leave one bolt out and sink an aircraft carrier. Is that an issue? Remember, they are built to be sunk.......

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Wow, Motorcycle Jack.

Glad it did not disintegrate while trying to stop at speed!
:eek:4:
Your garden angle must have been with U!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts