GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gotten to work on the trike. I originally thought the drive shaft was broken but have now found that is not the problem. It is right CV Shaft. I have gottten the short shaft out of the trike. What a mess!! The entire shaft could be pulled back and forth between what I could see was the two CV joints making me think the shaft was broken between the outer CV joint and the hub. (Independent suspension) Come to find out, the shaft wasn't broken like I thought. I had never (and hope I never have to again) taken the system apart in the past so I was not sure exactly how it was made. There is a small compression ring on the male main shaft that slips into the outer female assembly This had popped out of the groove in the outer spline. Clear as mud?
Anyway, the reason that this occurred was the inner CV joint must have gone dry as it was a total mess!! No grease, needle bearings all over, metal shavings, the whole nine yards. Now, due to the FANTASTIC help of one of my Triker friends, I have a part number for the complete shaft which I can purchase on line for under $80 bucks. The OEM replacement? I was quoted $250.00 from the manufacturer. But this was to be expected as most manufacturers charge an arm and a leg for their in-house parts. This practice is not with just motorcycles but in the entire automotive industry. I'm sure you've all experienced this.

So.... I have made the decision to go ahead and get TWO new shafts and replace them both. Especially since I can get three for the price of one.....

Wish me luck in getting the DERN thang back ta gether agin!!!!

Gonna do some other maintenance while it's up in the air, tools are out, I'm all greasy and got on my workin' jeans..... I will inspect the drive shaft, all of the slip joints and anything else I can think of, or see while i'm under there.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Good luck. I think it's a wise decision to replace both short shafts, if the right one was out of grease it stands to reason the left one will go soon.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Can you post the $80 part number?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Folks, I didn't post the part number as it is not a tried and true exchange. I didn't want someone to order the part and have it not fit or leave them stranded somewhere. So until then I will not disclose the number.
Sorry for not saying this in my original post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts