GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying convert a CSC proprietary plug to a standard 6 way trailer plug.

I am not getting the correct lights working on the trailer.

When I plug the trailer into my Chevrolet truck (with 6 way to 7 way adapter) the trailer is fine except the turn signals. The trailer has separate yellow turn signals and the truck does not - so that is probably why the signals dont work.

I checked all the wires on the trike end with a tester light and they all seem to work fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

Any Ideas of what wrong?

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what I would do:
Get a battery source (batt or batt charger) and apply power to all trailer wires EXCEPT ground and mark which wire goes to which light ( running, brake, turn). Then take a test light and check the tow vehicle and again mark which connector (terminal) activates the brake, running and stop lights.
You should then be able to see where the wires are switched.

Hope this helps
Chuck

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Yup, you are right. The seperated turn signal lights on the trailer and intergrated on your truck is the problem. They do not make a converter that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

All the wiring on the CSC trike was fine.

It was the trailer (used) that had been juryrigged.

After much frustration - I took the trailer to a Welding/Hitch shop.

The shop owner fixed the problems for $75.00 - best money I've spent.

Evidently the yellow turn signals were disconnected and the bulbs removed.

The previous owner of the trailer had lengthened the pigtail and substituted a alternate color coding scheme. :wrong:

The trailer lights all work great now with standard wiring and works well behind the trike or behind my Honda CRV. :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
csc trailer plug

I have been looking every where for the 6 pole plug to hook up the trailer to my csc. Where can I find it???

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I have been looking every where for the 6 pole plug to hook up the trailer to my csc. Where can I find it???
The rectangular counterpart is available from CSC themselves. (434) 263-8866.

Or did you mean where is the Trike side plug? It is usually tucked under the rear center on the Trike next to the hitch.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did you get that option? If so, ask your installer where he put it.

Ken L.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks

I appreciate the information, Thank you

·
Registered
126 Posts
CSC trike trailer 6 pole rectangle connector to 6 pole round tailwind connection

Recently converted my 2010 GL1800 to CSC Cobra XL trike. Love it. That said, I now have a problem re-establishing my connection to my Texelent Tailwind trailer. The CSC trike kit wires the trailer for Escapade trailers and they use a 6 pole rectangle female connector. As you will see it isnt 6 square as 2 of the slots are not utilized. See attached. CSC Trike 6 pole rectangle escapade connection.jpg

The problem is that my previous trailer connection was for a 6 pole round connection (see attached) Texelent Tailwind 6 pole round connection.jpg and it was installed under the trunk right side, protected from rain and road debris. With the new CSC fender structure, I cannot even open my connector cover because it bumped into the new fenders. Additionally, even if there was enough room to open it, I did not want to run my trailer cables to it since it would scratch the new fenders every time I made a turn. I called CSC and they do not sell an adapter from 6 rectangle to 6 round. The solution appears to be, since I do not want to change the trailer side plug, is to cut off the bike side connector and replace it with a 6 pole round male connector, and mount it with a bracket that holds the 6 pole round connector.

If anyone has any better ideas, I am all ears.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Recently converted my 2010 GL1800 to CSC Cobra XL trike. Love it. That said, I now have a problem re-establishing my connection to my Texelent Tailwind trailer. The CSC trike kit wires the trailer for Escapade trailers and they use a 6 pole rectangle female connector. As you will see it isnt 6 square as 2 of the slots are not utilized. See attached. View attachment 73094

The problem is that my previous trailer connection was for a 6 pole round connection (see attached) View attachment 73095 and it was installed under the trunk right side, protected from rain and road debris. With the new CSC fender structure, I cannot even open my connector cover because it bumped into the new fenders. Additionally, even if there was enough room to open it, I did not want to run my trailer cables to it since it would scratch the new fenders every time I made a turn. I called CSC and they do not sell an adapter from 6 rectangle to 6 round. The solution appears to be, since I do not want to change the trailer side plug, is to cut off the bike side connector and replace it with a 6 pole round male connector, and mount it with a bracket that holds the 6 pole round connector.

If anyone has any better ideas, I am all ears.
Almost Square plugs CSC great more propritory stuff / not me / I went to Tractor Supply or a similar farm store that sells trailer parts and I keep what I use on hand ... I buy about 4 male 6 wire plugs and 3 female 6 wire plugs with the weather cover so they match. Kuryakyn also makes these but they are cheap chrome and a different size. So I use the TSC ones they also sell the mounting brackets but you can make these by bending a flat plate and drilling it out for the screw holes and the Female Plug to go thru . Just label all your CSC wires when you cut the plug off and solder the ends of the wires so they don't fray and will insert into the pins and tighten the little screws with a small drop of blue Loctite or your wife clear finger nail polish. Once their all tight push the plug together and insert the set screw.... and plug it your 6 pin plug to match..... good to go.... done this a number of times and now have my diagram for a pattern next time.... even though mine was a Roadsmith I always have used the 6 pin plugs and am yet to have one fail they are very waterproof and don't corode mounted on a lower frame rail slightly under the trike right by the reciever.
At least the installer put a plug within reach instead of leaving it for you to dig out of the tour box..... Just take your time.... and when you start working on the plug disconnect the battery to saves fuses lives.... Good luck... Your can also order parts thru Etrailer.com https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wiring-sf-Trailer_Connectors.aspx

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Almost Square plugs CSC great more propritory stuff / not me / I went to Tractor Supply or a similar farm store that sells trailer parts and I keep what I use on hand ... I buy about 4 male 6 wire plugs and 3 female 6 wire plugs with the weather cover so they match. Kuryakyn also makes these but they are cheap chrome and a different size. So I use the TSC ones they also sell the mounting brackets but you can make these by bending a flat plate and drilling it out for the screw holes and the Female Plug to go thru . Just label all your CSC wires when you cut the plug off and solder the ends of the wires so they don't fray and will insert into the pins and tighten the little screws with a small drop of blue Loctite or your wife clear finger nail polish. Once their all tight push the plug together and insert the set screw.... and plug it your 6 pin plug to match..... good to go.... done this a number of times and now have my diagram for a pattern next time.... even though mine was a Roadsmith I always have used the 6 pin plugs and am yet to have one fail they are very waterproof and don't corode mounted on a lower frame rail slightly under the trike right by the reciever.
At least the installer put a plug within reach instead of leaving it for you to dig out of the tour box..... Just take your time.... and when you start working on the plug disconnect the battery to saves fuses lives.... Good luck... Your can also order parts thru Etrailer.com https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wiring-sf-Trailer_Connectors.aspx
Once again, thanks to this wonderful board and smart advice from knowledgable people, I was able to complete my trailer hook up. I agree, the 6 pole round connection is best for these types of applications. I followed your instructions and did the mock up. The big challenge was not cutting into the fiberglass body and the only metal to mount on is way under the bike. I chose to mount it on the trailer tongue for a variety of reasons. Bought a 6 pole mounting plate along with the connector, mounted it and bent the plate down a bit for easier access.

Here is what it looks like...and it works perfectly. There is enough slack to remove the hitch when I need to. I will add in a quick disconnect later. For now, happy and hauling again.
CSC trailer hook up.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts