GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be pulling my CSC Escapade trailer for the first time on a long trip. Just wondering what the trailer hitch weight you guys run. I know general rule of thumb is 10% of total weight. Weighing the trailer is not an option. I have a fish scale to weigh the tongue weight. The trike didn't come with any manual. I'm guessing 25-30 lbs. Any input? Tom :biker:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Manual

Go to the CSC website and download the "Escapade Trailer Owner's Manual" and on page 4 will find your answer.

Ken L.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Good morning Tango,

We ride an '05 Wing/CSC and have pulled our '02 Escapade more than seventy-five thousand miles (since '02). I like 12-15% tongue weight. 10% is a little too light. The Escapade behaves "very well" with this set up.....!!!

Dean does all the trailer packing, but I have used a bathroom scale under each wheel after the packing is done (with a level tongue). The overall trailer weight generally comes to right at four hundred pounds for a fourteen day ride.

That's including "some" winter gear (you never know about upper elevations).

I have seen my tongue weight right at 65 pounds on "many" occasion for the trike. This weight includes lot's of stuff in the ice chest.

We hope this helps in some small way.....!!!

:doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wilson that does help. Thank you. Ken, I have the trailer manual. Page 4 just gives the general rule of thumb. That's 10% of trailer weight. My previous bike and trailer I ran 22-25 lbs. tongue weight. Never had a problem. Now on a trike, new trailer, don't know. As Wilson posted, they have run 65lbs. tongue weight, no problems. I had no idea the trike hitch could handle that weight. And the trike manual is no help. I checked that also on CSC site. Tom :biker:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I checked with some of the manufactures and this is what they recommend:
Manufa’s Tongue/Tow weight
Champion –
CSC – 50/400
DFT – 35/500
Hannigan – 55/550
Lehman – 30/200
Motor Trike – 100/1000
Trikes by Triking –0/0 Won’t certify any more than Honda does for 2 wheel wing.

I checked this about 2 years back and they may have changed since then. I try to keep mine around the 40lbs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great post cmore. Thanks. Tom :biker:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm thinking the Motor Trike information CMORE gave is for the 2 + 2 or spider kits which use a welded hitch.

The Adventure kit uses a bolt on hitch and it's not near as strong. I took one look at mine and decided it needed reenforcement to be trusted. The manual says 100 lbs tongue weight and 400 lbs trailer weight. Knowing what I saw those numbers are on the absolute top end.

Too bad. It took me all of 30 minutes to add an extension and tie into other frame members. Now the 100 lbs and 400 lbs are well within the safe range.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
U are probably right. I checked on those 2-3 years back. Even then 1000 lbs sounded like a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts