GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 gl 1800 with csc conversion. Has anyone had any experience with the weld fix to the driveshaft? Did it make the ride better? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I found no change after the weld. I would opt for the new drive shaft from Mountain Trikes if I were to do it again. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I found no change after the weld. I would opt for the new drive shaft from Mountain Trikes if I were to do it again. :thumbup: Tom :trike:
What is CSC saying to those who bought their kits? The company has acknowleged that there was/is a problem. Is it taking responsibility?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
What is CSC saying to those who bought their kits? The company has acknowleged that there was/is a problem. Is it taking responsibility?
From talking with CSC in April I ask about the drive shaft and was told "we fixed it". I have friend that lost his in November and was told it was out of warranty no offer to fix it at all. Another friend got his welded under warranty, but took way too long in my opinion but in his case he was lucky as he had surgery at the same time. BTW both trikes failed around the same time with the one under warranty being first.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had my drive shaft replaced under warranty. Also had the weld done right before warranty expired. :thumbup: All the new trikes have a new design drive shaft. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
The weld fix was crap..
.. Still had a vibration in the "unloaded" sweet spot
(that is, neither accelerating nor decelerating).

Then did the Mountain Trikes drive shaft fix.
.. wow.. Like "butta" now and feels much lighter to push around in the garage..
.. In retrospect, the welded shaft was obviously binding and made the trike feel as heavy as a small car when pushing it around
... now, feels much lighter.

Do the mountain trike mod BEFORE you weld..
.. It's cheaper.
Once you weld, they have to cut the driveshaft off (extra labor) and you have to buy a stock replacement shaft (extra parts).

.. Learned all this from riding with Blondie
(but, the "pushing it around" observation is from my first hand experience.. lol..)
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
253 Posts
Csc weld

Had my driveshaft welded at 25000 miles took out transfer case at 28000. Changed to viper system. 1600 bucks.could have gone mountain for about 500. Your call, but if i had known what I know now I'd have paid the 500 and saved myself a lot of heartache. csc knows the weld is a bandaid at best. This is there 3rd try at making there driveline work properly. Hence the viper edition they are now selling.
chuckie

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
If what I am reading here is representative, CSC would do itself a favor by recalling all kits with defective shafts. Sure it would be costly but so is the alternative.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Never happen.... then they couldn't SELL replacements.... doubt they have the backup funding for the CSC Recall Claims..... and who to, original owners, sold trike kits, etc.

·
Registered
253 Posts
New driveshaft

The latest driveline is an entirely new replacement driveshaft with joints at either end. It goes directly from the motor to the rear end. This eliminates the honda shaft and the gear case and the rubber doughnut altogether. In my trike the gear case wallowed out shortly after the shaft was welded. They also added a wedge shaped piece that covers the new driveshaft. Perhaps in case of a joint breaking. The kicker here is that in spite of the low mileage failure they wouldn't assume responsibility. Their six years since install was their out. I was offered an upgrade to the viper, if I brought it to the factory at a cost of $350. It was almost same cost what with all the trucking charges to do it here in Florida. I opted to have it done here. Changing by the way requires complete removal and reinstall of the kit. Pain in the a$$ time and money. Last csc product for me. So much for there race car design pos lol.
chuckle

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Never happen.... then they couldn't SELL replacements.... doubt they have the backup funding for the CSC Recall Claims..... and who to, original owners, sold trike kits, etc.
In the short run that might make sense and even in the long run if current owners and prospective owners are willing to pay to correct mistakes by the company, ...if that is indeed mistakes were made. I guess time will tell...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts