GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a csc trike with 7,000 miles on the trike conversion. It hAS the stock muffler tips , I see they welded a washer inside the part where the exhaust comes out. It looks like it is running rich as it is real black. I gor 32 miles per gal. on first tank. Is this normal ? I think the way they do the exhaust is not quite right.:wrong: I'm open for suggestions.
Lee

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the washer is normal. I have them on my trike.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, in my experience personally, as well as the reports from many other trikers, 32 to 34 is about what you can expect. I have gotten as low as 28 when towing my trailer against a hard wind, will usually get closer to 30 if I persist in travelling above 70 mph, and 34 or so when I take it easier, especially around 55 mph or so. As with two wheels, every 5 mph above 55 or 60 mph reduces mpg.

I am not a hard charger. I do not normally accelerate quickly or hard. I travel most miles down the open road with my cruise set at 70 on the speedometer, which is actually about 65 or 66 mph by my gps or timed between mileposts. My average day in and day out mpg on my GL 1800 is about 32. My GL 1500 averaged about 30. Personally, I don't worry about it much. I know that I can travel up to 150 miles with no worry at all, a bit more if I need to do so, but I make it a point not to need to do so.

All of us are different, but I am not one who stresses about mpg. It is what it is. I keep strict records, just because that's what I do. I always figure annual mph, based on annual mileage and annual gallons consumed. But what it is never diminishes my pleasure in riding our trike. It just lets me know for certain when I need fuel based on the miles travelled since the last fillup. I absolutely hate to have to ride wondering if the small amount of fuel I have left will last to the next fuel stop or whether the next potential fuel stop will actually have fuel available. I have never run out of fuel while running on the top half of the tank.

I'm ready to stop and stretch every 100/150 miles anyway. If my mpg were to drop from what it normally is, then I'd be concerned. Otherwise, it's a non-issue for me. If you get 32 mpg consistently, then IMO, you are doing about what most of the rest of us trikers are doing. Go ride it and have fun!!! There will always be some who get more mpg, or at least say they do. I have no argument with them. But I have many thousands of miles experience at around 32mpg with a machine that runs very well and is in good tune. That is good enough for me!

G

·
Yes, in my experience personally, as well as the reports from many other trikers, 32 to 34 is about what you can expect. I have gotten as low as 28 when towing my trailer against a hard wind, will usually get closer to 30 if I persist in travelling above 70 mph, and 34 or so when I take it easier, especially around 55 mph or so. As with two wheels, every 5 mph above 55 or 60 mph reduces mpg.

I am not a hard charger. I do not normally accelerate quickly or hard. I travel most miles down the open road with my cruise set at 70 on the speedometer, which is actually about 65 or 66 mph by my gps or timed between mileposts. My average day in and day out mpg on my GL 1800 is about 32. My GL 1500 averaged about 30. Personally, I don't worry about it much. I know that I can travel up to 150 miles with no worry at all, a bit more if I need to do so, but I make it a point not to need to do so.

All of us are different, but I am not one who stresses about mpg. It is what it is. I keep strict records, just because that's what I do. I always figure annual mph, based on annual mileage and annual gallons consumed. But what it is never diminishes my pleasure in riding our trike. It just lets me know for certain when I need fuel based on the miles travelled since the last fillup. I absolutely hate to have to ride wondering if the small amount of fuel I have left will last to the next fuel stop or whether the next potential fuel stop will actually have fuel available. I have never run out of fuel while running on the top half of the tank.

I'm ready to stop and stretch every 100/150 miles anyway. If my mpg were to drop from what it normally is, then I'd be concerned. Otherwise, it's a non-issue for me. If you get 32 mpg consistently, then IMO, you are doing about what most of the rest of us trikers are doing. Go ride it and have fun!!! There will always be some who get more mpg, or at least say they do. I have no argument with them. But I have many thousands of miles experience at around 32mpg with a machine that runs very well and is in good tune. That is good enough for me!
With records like the above, it also gives you a good knowledge of how your trike is in tune. A drop in mileage is a tip off of something is wrong.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My 05 CSC trike had the stock tips on it when I bought it and I wanted to install turn downs on it.

What I found was this

The only outlet for the exhaust is the very small hole in the lower outlet. If you take the tip off it looks like it has a cap on the end of the exhaust and the exhaust outlet is just about a 3/8".

Not a lot for an 1800cc engine to breath with compared to the two wheel wings exhaust.

I called CSC and they said that just what they install - didn't really have a reason why it was so small but it certainly wouldn't hurt to open it up.

I cut the end off the exhaust pipe with the tiny hole a 1/4" back from the end and I have noticed a better throttle response and more up hill grunt - especially 2 up. It has a little deeper tone to the exhaust but nothing irritating.

I had TorqMaster King Snakes on my other 05 bike and I loved them ! I would ride with the baffles out most of the time and put them in for 2 up riding. I wish they fit the trike !

As for gas mileage - I really don't track it. Put gas in - ride trike.

If you cut them off and don't like it you can always put the cap back on.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 05 CSC has turn downs on it. It is very throaty and drones endlessly down the hwy. The exhaust on my trike is CSC proprietary and does not use the stock system. You could weld and put on anything you want. Personally on a long trip I wish it was quieter. But it sounds like a F1 race car when you rev it out. I'll live with the drone :evil:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here are some pics of my exhaust. Same pea hole but the adapters are clamped on and the turn downs mount similar to aftermarket turn downs on stock bike. I don't know anything about these. They were on the trike when I bought it. But they are throaty and drone.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been searching for a quieter exhaust for our CSC since I got it. I really don't like the droning on the highway. Looks like the only solution is to fabricate something yourself. If there's something out there I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have thought about removing the turn downs, then drilling holes in the pipe portion that is inside the turndowns, fab a plate to fit inside the turndown and around the exhaust pipe, pack that area with stainless steel wool, then put the newly fabed plate on. effectively create another muffler (resonator) at the end. But the little hooligan in me won't let me :twisted: So I just turn up the helmet speakers on a long drive.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Today I drilled out the 3/8" hole to about 5/8". Used a step bit. Not much change in sound. But on the highway it appears the drone is a bit less. Still has a nice throaty sound. I did't want to totally reduce the back pressure, for fear of losing torque.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is the noise solution

I purchased a (look it up on web) 1 1/2 " x 8 " muffler baffle ($18.90 with shipping) http://www.ebay.com/itm/121428385461 after removing the tip ass,y, I only had about 6 inches of straight pipe to install the baffle so I had to cut it down to size. The flaired end does not go into the pipe - it will sit flush to the end of the pipe (remove mounting bolt from baffle, u don't need it). Next I purchased a pack (3) of Scotch Brite stainless steel scrubbing pads (very course) (Walmart about $1.90). You will pack one pad into the tip you removed and 1/2 pad into the baffle you placed into the pipe. You can always omit the stainless steel packing, it's up to you. Now assemble tip back onto muffler pipe to finish.
May take a block of wood and hammer to work the tip back on. Don't forget to tighten the clamp. Took less than an hour once you have the hammer, hacksaw, baffles and stainless steel packing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts