GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting items in my trunk wet when it rains. I have crawled underneath, doesn't appear to be any issues there. I put a couple of strong lights in the trunk, checked when dark and noticed some faint light coming out along the left side of the trunk lid. Does anyone know how the lid is adjusted to compensate. I did push on the lid to make sure it is closed. When pushing on the left side, light disappears but then bouncing the trike allows the light to reappear. Seems some slight adjustment might be in order to tighten but don't know how to proceed without taking risk of getting the latches out of sync.

Any suggestions out there.

QC

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have been getting items in my trunk wet when it rains. I have crawled underneath, doesn't appear to be any issues there. I put a couple of strong lights in the trunk, checked when dark and noticed some faint light coming out along the left side of the trunk lid. Does anyone know how the lid is adjusted to compensate. I did push on the lid to make sure it is closed. When pushing on the left side, light disappears but then bouncing the trike allows the light to reappear. Seems some slight adjustment might be in order to tighten but don't know how to proceed without taking risk of getting the latches out of sync.

Any suggestions out there.

QC

Last year, I found my trunk leaking. Tried adjusting the hinges, but this did no good. Ended up buying gasket material from champion and installed it. Afterwards, no leaking. If you replace the gasket or even before, take a dollar bill and put half of it in the gasket and close the trunk. If it moves easilly, there is where the trunk is leaking. A new gasket is then needed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It is pretty easy to adjust the trunk lid on the CSC.
With the lid open, look at the top of the opening. Remove a couple of screws in the black plastic cover and remove cover. You can see the two latches where the loops on the lid engage. Under each one, loosen the two allen screws slightly, and gently, repeat, gently, move the latch toward the front of the trike. Just a tiny bit is all it takes. Tighten screws while being sure latch doesn't move as you tighten them. Now close the lid until it latches. You can use the dollar bill here as Comanche said or just use the lights as you did.
You are just gently moving the lid tighter. If you get it too much, it will be hard to close. I have mine where it just takes a very gentle push to latch and the warning light doesn't stay on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Carpet

Sometimes the carpet on the inside of the trunk lid is too close to the seal and will leak through there. Trim the capet or move it and reglue.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who posted, looks like each of you had good suggestions. Will check out the carpet issue and if looks good will do the dollar bill trick both before and after attempts at adjust, small increments, and see how that goes. Appreciate your comments.:bow:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't fool with the lower hinges unless you know for certain you must. They are a challenge to set back up. Don't ask me how I know...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't fool with the lower hinges unless you know for certain you must. They are a challenge to set back up. Don't ask me how I know...

Thanks for mentioning that. At this point, I don't think I need to go there. Will make sure all holes plugged, that closure mechanism in black compartment is working properly and then move ever so slightly the left latch wire on the trunk lid to see if that makes any improvement. I did find a bolt which goes through the floor (2 on unit) on the left was loose so took off, no silicone there, applied liberal amounts of same and reinstalled the bolt. Check the right, no silicone there either so did the same on that side. Need to tighten up the trunk lid and make sure carpet not hitting on gasket and then do the water test.

Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I first got my trike in 2008 I also had an issue with items in the lower trunk getting wet. I found that the carpet was soaked on a few occasions. Someone on this board told me to check all the mounting bolts and make sure they were sealed. I did, and found insufficient sealing on the bottom bolts. The water was coming in thru the bolt holes and wicking up through the carpet. Once I sealed the bolts with caulking problem was solved. Good luck

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first got my trike in 2008 I also had an issue with items in the lower trunk getting wet. I found that the carpet was soaked on a few occasions. Someone on this board told me to check all the mounting bolts and make sure they were sealed. I did, and found insufficient sealing on the bottom bolts. The water was coming in thru the bolt holes and wicking up through the carpet. Once I sealed the bolts with caulking problem was solved. Good luck

I couldn't find any sealing of the bottom bolts either, so took both sides out and filled holes with silicone caulk, re-installed the bolts. I also found some small amount of light coming from each side of lid where the lid has a bend in it. Adjusted the wire latches a small amount, as of now, no light. Will do the hose test to confirm problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts