GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know where you can get a new U joint for the 1st generation, 2005, CSC kit on Goldwings. Every one I talk to says they are on back order until at least the end of June.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
That is the short of it I have heard. Really should get one ordered soon also I have also heard that the ones coming in are spoken for already. :shock:

·
Registered
37 Posts
u-joints

do you have enough of the old u-joint that a parts house could match up? usally if you have the cross and trunnion caps a parts house like Napa or a drive train specialest or bearing supply house can measure old cross and caps and supply new u-joint. when i had a 83 Yamaha Venture and needed new u-joint dealer was out of joint and said had to come out of Japan and would take several weeks and a cost of several hundred dollars. i removed old u-joint and took to Standard Auto Parts in Oklahoma and they measured it and sold me a Spicer joint for a P.T.O.for less than $10.00 that was a prefect fit. good luck!! george

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U Joint

I had the bike in for service and replacement of the delron washer as well as a couple of other drive line items. This is being done in preparation for a long trip, 11,000+- miles, this fall. I thought since I have 36000 miles on the drive line, I would get the U joint replaced. The dealer said the one in the bike show no sign of ware or looseness and did not recommend replacing it. I said as long as everything was apart, go ahead and put in a new U joint. They were unable to locate one after about a week of trying, so the are putting the original back in. I thought if I could get a hold of a new one, I would take it along as insurance.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
do you have enough of the old u-joint that a parts house could match up? usally if you have the cross and trunnion caps a parts house like Napa or a drive train specialest or bearing supply house can measure old cross and caps and supply new u-joint. when i had a 83 Yamaha Venture and needed new u-joint dealer was out of joint and said had to come out of Japan and would take several weeks and a cost of several hundred dollars. i removed old u-joint and took to Standard Auto Parts in Oklahoma and they measured it and sold me a Spicer joint for a P.T.O.for less than $10.00 that was a prefect fit. good luck!! george
These yokes are not serviceable. The brg. caps are staked and no retainer ring groove machined.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Stuff, you can do exactly like George once did if you are adept with a milling machine. On the 1st gen. Cobra, CSC chose to use a yoke and U-joint from the Valkyrie/1500 Honda. When Honda engineered that yoke for the Valkyrie/1500, they chose to use yokes that were staked. If you have the expertise to do the milling, you can cut the heads of those yokes to accept snap rings for the caps of your new servicable u-joint. Question: Why do you think Honda staked the yokes? Answer: So you guys would have to go back to mother Honda when the U-joints dried out and froze up. Isn't Honda good to those who feed her?

Last week, "bmr4106" led us to a link where a Valyrie owner has done this very thing http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/index.php/topic,28837.0.html
In the post, he offers to do the work and supply the new U-joint for his board members for $260.00 He'll also sell you an additional servicable u-joint for $40.00

This doesn't seem like a lot of money if you're dead in the water.

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had the bike in for service and replacement of the delron washer as well as a couple of other drive line items. This is being done in preparation for a long trip, 11,000+- miles, this fall. I thought since I have 36000 miles on the drive line, I would get the U joint replaced. The dealer said the one in the bike show no sign of ware or looseness and did not recommend replacing it. I said as long as everything was apart, go ahead and put in a new U joint. They were unable to locate one after about a week of trying, so the are putting the original back in. I thought if I could get a hold of a new one, I would take it along as insurance.
I just had mine in for a 48K service and a new front tire. I replaced the u-joint while it was there because I had one go out on me around 24,000 miles. The old one looked good, but I did it anyway. I carry the old one in the trunk for a back-up. I did this thinking if it goes out on a trip, it would take several days to get it fixed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Stuff and Rod,
For what it's worth, I have contacted several suppliers (even Honda Direct) and there aren't any available. I did find one source for a used one and it cost me over $100. I plan on sending it to a man in Colorado who has come up with a modification for these units that makes them serviceable and repairable. The reliability of these unit does not concern me as much as the availability (or lack there of). One source told me they had been on back order for over a year. These yoke assemblies are off the GL1500s and Valks, so Honda has little incentive to continue producing them.
Fortunately, I don't need one right now. It does concern me that I might be on a long trip and have it fail.
BTW, here's the link to the man I have been dealing with http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/index.php/topic,28837.0.html.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
922 Posts
Stuff and Rod,
For what it's worth, I have contacted several suppliers (even Honda Direct) and there aren't any available. I did find one source for a used one and it cost me over $100. I plan on sending it to a man in Colorado who has come up with a modification for these units that makes them serviceable and repairable. The reliability of these unit does not concern me as much as the availability (or lack there of). One source told me they had been on back order for over a year. These yoke assemblies are off the GL1500s and Valks, so Honda has little incentive to continue producing them.
Fortunately, I don't need one right now. It does concern me that I might be on a long trip and have it fail.
BTW, here's the link to the man I have been dealing with http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/index.php/topic,28837.0.html.

Good luck,
Bill
I feel fortunate to have been able to get mine replaced and now carry the old one in the truck since I had one fail on me on the trike. I also have a have a Valkryie and that u-jont that left me stranded at 80K iles on the Valk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts