GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one seen any instructions on replacing the rear wheel bearings on a Cobra Trike? Wheel bearings have to much movement and need to be replaced. Just wondering before I start to take apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated, pictures would be even better, as they say worth a thousand words. :cry:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Has any seen any instructions on replacing the rear wheel bearings on a Cobra Trike? Wheel bearings have to much movement and need to be replaced. Just wondering before I start to take apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated, pictures would be even better, as they say worth a thousand words. :cry:
CSC usew a LOT of proprietary parts but I would think that wheel bearing replacement is straightforward. How many miles and how old is the trike?

·
Registered
140 Posts
CSC Wheel bearing

Go to CSC web they have a down load manual. Not to many pictures but good info.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mike,
The rear wheel bearings are enclosed in a "hub assembly", there are no serviceable parts. You have to replace the entire hub assembly. Good news is that it only costs $77.00. I keep a spare on my cobra, JIC.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Mike,
The rear wheel bearings are enclosed in a "hub assembly", there are no serviceable parts. You have to replace the entire hub assembly. Good news is that it only costs $77.00. I keep a spare on my cobra, JIC.
I stand corrected. The CSC approach does appear to be unique. I wonder why they took that route?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I sure don't know ...

Please understand ... I do not mean this in anything but a sympathetic way, but from all I've been hearing here about the CSC kit, I am so glad I didn't go that route with my 1800. Had a solid axle CSC kit on my 1500, which kit was installed in 2001 or 2002. Had no issues with it, and don't recall any the previous owner had with it from new ... he lived down the road from me. I really figured that would be my kit of choice until I began to seriously look in to the design and engineering of the various kits available now, especially among those with IRS. My final choice resulted from it being in the top two in my opinion, with the added plus that the installer was fairly close to my location and was a fellow I've known long.

I know that anything mechanical can and will have issues. I know that stuff wears out, even good stuff! I am thrilled that most of the stuff on my kit is available off the shelf most anywhere, and that the company provided me with a complete listing of each of those various parts and their part numbers for presentation at any good parts counter. I feel badly for those who have problems of any kind, but especially these kinds of problems that result in finding out after the fact that there are problems which are difficult to resolve. Especially the problems that could easily result in a serious safety concern. ... I sure hope a satisfactory resolution is found soon. I'm going over the list of stuff on my machine again, and if there is a proprietary part necessary for getting me home safely, I'm going to try to own a spare and have it with me if possible. But I believe in my case that I can get whatever I might need somewhere along the way. I tow a trailer, but it's for luggage rather than spare parts!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Before you start tearing things apart check the axel nut, it is to be a torque of 200 ft pounds ,i have heard of some coming loose or not set right. I have a csc and like it a lot, if you are an aggressive rider then the csc is the one you want for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CSC Wheel Bearing

The trike is 07 with 44000 on it right now. Have talked to Bryn at CSC and price out the bearings. Just trying to get all the info I can before I start to tear into it. Looks like I may have to replace the boots also. Have checked axle nut, it is torqued to 200, still play in bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts