GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got the wheel bearings replaced. Currred all vibrations problems that I had, now I did replace the delron disc, that got rid of some, but the bearings did the trick. The vibration was pretty evident when acclerating from around 60 to 75, could feel in the seat and gas tank. Installer said get used to it that it was normal, well no longer deal with them any longer. Had to find someone with sense. Just a couple of phots of bearings. They look like they are designed to run to failure. There are some blue spots on them that says they got pretty warm some time, rode all the way from Calif. on these things, was blessed to get back home.

100_2846.jpg

100_2845.jpg

·
Registered
428 Posts
HHHMMMMM I've been chasing the same vibration. I have been told the CSC earlier models have a driveshaft vibe in that range. I have a 05GL with 06 Cobra kit. Could you post some more info on this?? I may just have the same problem, as my right tire has worn on the inside and feathered. Also a possible sign of bearing prob I have read.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CSC wheel bearings

My CSC is 07 with offset drive shaft. Started with the shaft, replaceing delron disc, rezeppa joint had dried up grease in it. That seemed to get rid of some vibration. My right tire was staring to show some wear on the inside. The time I had trike on jack stands took hold of wheel and moved it up and down just like checking wheel bearings on older cars. Movement was there, not much but still there. The bearings really can not be inspected becase they are sealed. Check for movement, if there need to replace them. Had mine done because needed to replace upper boot on each side. Check those too, run about $20 each, bearings $77. If just the bearings themselves I would have replaced them, not having a dealer do them. Hope this helps. :shrug:

·
Registered
524 Posts
How many miles did you have on the bearings prior to replacement?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got a 08.New last year. 20000 miles and both wheel bearing's are gone. Sitting at dealer. Hopefully warenty covers them. A friend of mine has a 09, His went out at 9000 miles.:shrug:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CSC wheel bearings

Kinda sounds like some inferrior bearings being used. These bearings should last a lot longer than that. Who knows where they are made, found no markings or numbers on the old bearings. Going to check around some automotive houses to see if can get a match.
I feel blessed to get as much mileage out of these than 9000 or 20000 miles. :eek:4:
Hopefully I get much more out of this set than I did the first set of bearings. :shrug:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Mine is 2005 GL /2006 kit. CSC Cobra same as yours. Has inside wear right side. Has bad shake at 62 to 70 range. 23k on bike and kit. Been chasing this shake. And the all familiar wobble. From what you have posted it describes my trike. I did check the camber and toe settings today. Right side was toe out a bit, so corrected that. Caster/camber measured out just fine. There is just a slight amount of play if rocking the tire side to side while jacked up, but none felt in and out. Have done all needed service to driveshaft, LOL I can r&r, clean and grease in about 2hrs now.
Only at that range it shakes. Above or below that it is smooth. It shakes the body to the point you can see the whole dash shake, if you stay in that range. So I don't drive in that range for any distance.

I would not be looking forward to changing the bearings out. But bearings are cheaper than tires. These look great other than the slight feathering in the right inside. So I switched them side to side. Not much difference.

Does the bearings come as an assembly? Or did you have to press them in and out? I guess they are proprietary??
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSC wheel bearings

They do come as an assembly, just like an automotive set. They don't appear hard to change, you'll need a torque wrench that can twist 200 lbs on the wheel nut. Take a look on CSC web site and the manuel gives the directions on how to replace the bearings. Next go around I'll replace them myself if not having to worry about replacing boots. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Bearingss

Are these bearings available at an auto parts store or do you have to bye them from CSC?

Wayne

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CSC wheel bearings

So far you have to get from CSC, run about $77 a side. Not too expensive considering. The labor if you have them istalled for you may not be too cheap. Was told at CSC that you could change them out old school in a couple of hours. Dealer did both sides on mine in three hours. :popcorn:

·
Registered
428 Posts
CSC rear wheel bearings

Mikada you are spot on. The units are proprietary. I spoke with CSC today. Extremely helpfull people!!!!! Price is $77 ea plus shipping. The hub and bearing and housing are replaced as a unit.

The tech told me to check the torque of the axle nut at every oil change. (it's in the new maintenance schedule) And to try that before deciding to order bearing units. I have had everything apart before except removing the lower heim pin and raising the upright. Then the bearing/hub unit unbolts and comes right out.

As for the tools. Harbor fright has a 50 to 300 ftlb 3/4 drive torque wrench on sale for about $60 (75 if you don't have the coupon). I got a set of metric deep well impact sockets for about $20 (axle nut requires a 30mm). And a set of 3/4 to various size adapters for another $10 ( the deep well sockets are 1/2" drive). For less than $100 I got everything I needed to add to do this job.

Retorqued the bearings today. Less play in the wheel now. I will test ride tomorrow and see if it improved. If so then I would say my body (shelter/dash) shake is due to a loose or worn wheel bearing. As the axle nut was still at proper torque.

Thanks Mikada for posting your findings!! Hopefully I will finally find the solution to this issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CSC wheel bearings

That was the first thing I tried was retorque the bearings, did find slight tightening necessary, but still had play. Had an installer check them out and we both came to the same conclusion, replace. Only he found both upper boots needed to replaced. Shafts have to be pulled to replace them. That's when I decided to let them do it all. Now it rides like a new trike, no vibration now. :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ordered set of wheel bearings/hub today. I loosened and tightened the right side a few times. Then took it to 225 ftlbs. Play minimal. Test drove and it improved. So decided to replace them both. will keep the good one for a spare. Once apart I will look them over carefully see if just the bearing can be replaced. If looks possible will take to a bearing shop see if a replacement is available. Maybe we can find better bearings for them. I will report back on the new bearings and the possibility of rebuilding them.

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CSC bearings

Just came from GM dealer, matched the bearing assembly to sevseral GM cars. Pontiac Grand Am 1985/98 is the one I matched it. Now the price isn't great at $200 each. OEM has the better prices.
Mike :excited:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't know if this is relavent but, my riding partner bought a small trailer from Harbor Freight to make a MC trailer. The wheels were on the axle so tight that the wheels would not roll. He took the wheels off and checked the bearings. Both bearing were as dry as sand. Trailer and bearings were made in China. Don't know where the Trike Kit manufacturers get their bearings but, I don't think any are made in this country anymore???

·
Registered
428 Posts
It appears that GMB makes the majority of these type bearings. They have a factory here in Cali. But who knows how much of it they make or just assemble. When I talked with them they were extremely helpfull!!! And they don't even sell to the public. Always great to find companies of this caliber.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CSC wheel bearings

Just checked with Advaced Auto for wheel bearing assembly for 99 Grand Am. Off the shelf for about $52. Not bad cheaper than bying from CSC

:coffee1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts