GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI to all ... there are now specialty attorney firms that sue over car tires on motorcycles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They just want to find clients so they can sue riders who use incorrect tires and, especially, tire manufacturers.

Seems unlikely that a manufacturer would be liable if its product was misused, but some states encourage suing anyone involve in an accident and allow recovery from the deepest pocket no matter which party is at fault, so all the lawyer needs is a client, and much hay can be made.

I'd avoid this type of lawyer, anyhow. They're just using ad copy prepared by national trial lawyers groups to help members drum up lawsuits. They probably don't have any special expertise.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So we have a law firm that has discovered a way to weasel word a lawsuit against car tires on motorcycles. Nothing to do with the actual performance of the tire but more at, taking advantage of a jury that really doesn't understand the mechanics of most things. Like that is supposed to convince me of something about the actual tire? No, it only makes me aware of lawyers who have found another avenue to bilk people for money.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In these parts we refer to these types of lawyers as parasites. I never used a CT on my bikes and probably never will, but I don't see it as a problem should someone want to use one.

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Everyone's gonna have an opinion. And hopefully you guys realize that even some hard core advocates, who run car tires on a GL1800s, will admit that a CT does not respond as quickly as a m/c tire does. And those splitting seconds can be the difference. If I'm reading everyone correctly, and let say all 3 of you have 9yo girls on their way to play soccer, and all 3 end up in serious condition after a m/c rider who was able to avoid getting hit bay a car, and because he was running a CT was not able to recover control quick enough and plows into the minivan that your girls are in, and all 3 are not end ok, and they end up permanently disabled. That's a good law suit which most any personal injury attorney would take, especially one who specializes in just that. Plus proving a m/c tire does not handle as well as a m/c tire in court would be easy to prove. Also, to pay your medical bills you are now gonna have to sell your houses and cash in your 401ks.

If it was I, I'd be thankful to find that attorney.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Then I suppose an average slip and fall lawyer could claim an older rider doesn't have reflexes as quick as a younger rider, so he is at fault for not responding fast enough, even if he had MTs on his bike.
We can be foolish about this all kinds of ways, but the bottom line is, some people insist that others observe their fears regardless of experience.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight one way or the other. I'm just saying I don't see a problem with someone that wants to run a CT, I haven't and probably won't. I have a bigger problem with the idiot's I have to contend with on the road on a daily basis, whether they be cars or trucks. I apply the same rules to ALL drivers, if you want to be stupid on the road just don't involve me or any other innocent person in your stupidity. I think a CT on a motorcycle is the least of our problems when out on the road.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Greg, if I were you I'd be far more worried about being sued as a result of advice you give here, which a shyster could implicate in all sorts of ways if anyone has taken your advice or had a repair done by you. I am NOT in anyway calling your skill or knowledge into question.....just pointing out that we all exposed every day we wake up.....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Guy walks into a bar, sits down and orders a beer. After a couple of minutes he SLAMS his fist on the bar and says “All lawyers are arseh#$&ls”!

Guy sitting next to him looks over at him and says, “ I take offense to that”!

First guy looks at him and says, “ Why.....are you a lawyer”?

Second guy says, “no,....I’m an arseh#$&le”

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think with this covid crap going on,everyone getting crapy.
Can't do everything thing you use to
So let's gets sue ,for something to 🤔😉

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I LOVE THIS!!!!

"
Can I Have an Accident if I Use a Car Tire on My Motorcycle?
"

YES!!!!

Can I Have an Accident if I Use a Motorcycle Tire on My Motorcycle?

YES!!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The chances of getting sued because you use a CT on a Gold Wing are about as great as winning the lottery. Both things ain’t gonna happen!

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
After reading the lawyer's explanation, I was left trying to think who the plaintiff might be in that situation. Two come to mind: My passenger could sue me for negligence if I were running a CT and she was injured in an accident; and the car I hit could claim that the CT was the cause of the accident, i.e. that the accident wouldn't have happened but for the fact that I had knowingly compromised the optimal handling of my motorcycle. Both of these theories have been out there waiting since the first CT was fitted. If you're wearing a CT and have an accident, don't volunteer that fact, but as this idea spreads, lawyers will soon be looking at your tires.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have no horse in the fight, but when someone has that accident, and someone will, for whatever reason that doesn't matter, they've opened a window of opportunity - and the lawyer will step through that window and hand them their arse. And they will take it and shut up.

The judge will have exactly zero * about how many miles they've ridden on a car tire. About their opinion on run-flats. About any forum posts that support their position.

There has been at least a year of evidence of a growing awareness about car tires in the legal and insurance systems, and the potential liability big enough that a rider could lose everything they've worked for. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I have no horse in the fight, but when someone has that accident, and someone will, for whatever reason that doesn't matter, they've opened a window of opportunity - and the lawyer will step through that window and hand them their arse. And they will take it and shut up.

The judge will have exactly zero * about how many miles they've ridden on a car tire. About their opinion on run-flats. About any forum posts that support their position.

There has been at least a year of evidence of a growing awareness about car tires in the legal and insurance systems, and the potential liability big enough that a rider could lose everything they've worked for. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" has made my day. Don't be surprised if one day it shows up as my tag line.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't run a car tire on any of my bikes, but yes I have ridden a bike with a car tire. It isn't for me, but if someone wants to it isn't my business. As to the original link to the greedy, legal manipulating, ambulance chaser, I read the link and am thinking that if there is a case that buffoon will lose it. Simple errors like misstating the differences between radial and bias tires, and calling tread "thread" several times makes me question the competence of the "expert". I won't run a car tire, but it isn't because I am skeered of that law firm! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts