GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I have been reading with intrest the mounting of car tires on that back of GL1800's, and there is a lot of opinion on using Centramatics and Dynabeads to balance the wheel/tire. While I am certainly not doubting that it must work, I cant help but wonder why you are not just balancing the wheel after the tire is mounted with a spin balancer and be done with it.

Since I just ordered me a Sunny SN3830 195/55 R16 for my bike I am hoping that my local tire shop will be able to mount it and balance it and then all I would have to do is put it on and (hopefully) start enjoying the benefits of a Darksider!

·
DSI Keeper
9,186 Posts
The biggest problem trying to balance the rear wheel, is that most tire balancer machines will not go down to that small of the hub (that small hole in the center of the wheel) size. I balance mine using a shaft with two cone centers sitting on bearings. Very static way to balance, but never had any vibration or the telltale signs of unbalance tire wear. Right now, along with that method, I am trying the Centramatics. I see how that goes.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey Guys

<snip> I cant help but wonder why you are not just balancing the wheel after the tire is mounted with a spin balancer and be done with it.<snip>
Technically, with static balancing, you are not done with it. As the tire wears, the balancing requirements may change and the wheel should be balanced again. With dynamic balancing, the balancing occurs as the tire rotates and changes as the tire condition changes, so no further action is necessary. I choose to use the magic beads (3oz) in my Pirelli and it rides as smooth as glass, and will continue to do so until it gets retired from use. Another reason is so I don't need to mess with building a rig, buying wheel weights and balance it. Mount, install, beads, ride, smile :yes1:

And a preemptive "Welcome!" to the Darkside! :congrats:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just like Murgie said, my mechanic mounted the tire without any problems but it didn't fit on his balancer.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well OK then. So would you guys say to dump in about 4 oz of Dynabeads and call it good? I have never used them or anything like them so I have to ask. I want my first CT experience to be a good one after all!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Beads

Two oz for a MC tire and Three for a car tire is the standard application.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
My independent motorcycle shop did the 'static' balancing on my Kumho.
I haven't had any perceptible issues in over 10,000 miles, even at [insert speed here] mph.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

YMMV

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
3oz of beads will do you just fine!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,924 Posts
I have always used a static balancer on all my MC and Cts. I balance the rims first then mount the tire and balance again. The Kumho on now didn't need any weights.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have always used a static balancer on all my MC and Cts. I balance the rims first then mount the tire and balance again. The Kumho on now didn't need any weights.
John, funny you mention the balancing of the Kumho. When I did a poll (last year I think) the Kumho required more balancing weight than any other tires. Worse case was 3 1/4 ounces...I think. I have had no problems with the Kumhos I have run.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do you actually balance the rim first or check it for the heaviest spot?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The last two Pirelli's and the one Continental ROF I used up, I didn't balance at all. No problems with either, ever. Your results may vary.

·
Premium Member
31,973 Posts
The last two Pirelli's and the one Continental ROF I used up, I didn't balance at all. No problems with either, ever. Your results may vary.
:agree:Same here but I have ran 4 and just about to mount another.

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,924 Posts
Do you actually balance the rim first or check it for the heaviest spot?
Yes, I mark the heavy spot (but don't add weights) and of the 4 rims I have (2 front,2 Rear) NONE have the heavy spot at the stem. I also balance the front rims with the brake rotors on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts