GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading into North FL, and rain is forcast. Question to you seasoned CT users, being a relative newbie to the CT, is there anything I should be aware of on wet roads concerning a different feel, handling, whatever?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
As when ever it first rains all road surfaces are slick as the oil on them washes off in the first 1/2 hour,after that enjoy a wider foot print of a CT over a MT for more grip..

I've been told by other guys not to follow a CT guy in the wet.they throw a good sized rooster tail up at them..he he he

The CT's really work well in the wet,you won't have any issue.:doorag:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
just be carefull of those damn mail trucks:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
The same things that get you with a bike tire will get you with a CT. Oil, antifreeze, sand, manhole covers, paint, etc. CT's are better in the rain but that doesn't mean you have to disconnect your brain.

Ride safe and enjoy you trip.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'll be heading into North FL, and rain is forcast. Question to you seasoned CT users, being a relative newbie to the CT, is there anything I should be aware of on wet roads concerning a different feel, handling, whatever?

I love it. Way more confidence, can't get it to slip.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I would thing that the wire foot print of a car tire on a much lighter vehicle would cause it to hydroplane easer than a motorcycle tire.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would thing that the wire foot print of a car tire on a much lighter vehicle would cause it to hydroplane easer than a motorcycle tire.:shrug:
Not considering the car tire has way deeper tread....the "rear" I have on my "front" has way more tread as well.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Walter.That would be a misconception.A CT has more sipes/grooves in it than a MT does,and can eject water at a faster rate.
The wings weight and then add the rider/passenger over that tire will keep it planted where it belongs..Now if you drive fast through a "flooded" street/road-Then good luck..lol

No one should ride the same speed in the wet! Slow down when it's wet out!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
That does sound logical as does "a CT can't work on a motorcycle". :shrug:

But, there are well over 500 people on 1800s that will tell you otherwise.

Aside from stuff on the road and/or ice, you have to try hard to spin it. Very confidance inspiring in the wet.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good responses, and of course, normal riding cautions apply. Thanks CT team.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Aside from stuff on the road and/or ice, you have to try hard to spin it. Very confidance inspiring in the wet.
I've not had the opportunity to give mine a good workout in the rain; I'm probably going to get my first chance in the next 24 hours.

Now...on that thought...something that I was told eons ago (probably by another sage greybeard of two-wheeling) is that periodically, you should actually plan a ride in the rain. In doing that (especailly if the ride isn't terribly long and kept to well-known familiar roads) you'll get a chance to see how the bike does - and more importantly, how YOU do in the rain.

When I told my wife that, she thought I was nuts. I was out solo, for about 30 minutes, right after it had quit raining. I wanted to deal with wet road conditions only.

Soon after, we went for our trip to San Diego for Labor Day '07. Went & did some sightseeing, and on the way back...yep, dark clouds! :eek:4: Managed to get to an underpass and geared up, then about three miles of rain on grooved freeway two-up for the first time. Grace did well! :thumbup:

Fast-forward to this past July, left home and rode in 40 miles of steady rain on the way out of Tucson to SLC; was much better prepared; no issues. Next day? yepo, another 50 miles of rain.

Practice makes much better...

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Walter.That would be a misconception.A CT has more sipes/grooves in it than a MT does,and can eject water at a faster rate.
The wings weight and then add the rider/passenger over that tire will keep it planted where it belongs..Now if you drive fast through a "flooded" street/road-Then good luck..lol

No one should ride the same speed in the wet! Slow down when it's wet out!
Good enough Rocky, I'm sure you and everyone else that responded wouldn't jeopardize their safety if that wasn't fact.

·
Registered
390 Posts
OEM tires slipping on wet roads was one of the reasons I went dark. I didn't have the Goodyear Eagle break loose at all in the 14 months I rode it but I haven't been in wet conditions with the Kumho yet. I am sure it will be fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Two days straight in the rain on CT. Ran 70's+ no problems, grip was better in the curves. But like everyone else has said, don't disconnect the brain pan.
Mac

·
Premium Member
31,973 Posts
Rear tires on anything rarely hydroplane - the front tires break the surface tension.
Now that makes a great deal of sense. C/T's in the rain for me rock. I can't get them to slip unless I really mean to;really, really mean to.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Rear tires on anything rarely hydroplane - the front tires break the surface tension.
Very true, front tire splits that water and away it goes. That front tire will also stand up nails and screws so they will go into the rear tire with the sharp end first LOL ...

I have had my CT come loose in a turn in the rain, But I gave it to much throttle and it spun, scared me at first.. Stopped at a stop sign, then turned left and it broke loose.. Also that same day, from a stop light straight ahead I goosed it and it broke loose again.. Not as much traction as when dry which is logical...

jmho

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Darksider Number One answered the hydroplane issue.

Not to get too technical, but ever rode a round tire in the rain and downshifted a bit to soon and did the wandering slide with the rear tire?

Does not seem to happen with a CT. And once the roads are washed off a bit, as long as there is not standing water, you can pour the coal to it.

In town you are riding up straight anyway, so more tire, more tread, more contact surface, and excellent braking.

Same on the big slab, more tire on the road.

Kit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts